• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusOReallyus

Next on the list is fixing the coolant leak. I think it's coming from a bad rear freeze plug. If i am right do i need to drop the tranny in order to access the rear freeze plugs?!

Search on that. Haven't done it myself, so I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading a recent thread about that, and it was accessible from the wheel well. Dropping a wheel is a lot easier than dropping a trans! :beer:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Changed all fluids, bought a 4" lift kit, 35" tires oh and a welder.. and a plasma cutter. Going to be fun.

K9Vic

Changed all fluids, bought a 4" lift kit, 35" tires oh and a welder.. and a plasma cutter. Going to be fun.
Wow, did you win the lottery?
I have a Plasma and Welder as well and they are nice tools to have and you will find they come in real handy for just about anything. Both mine are from Harbor Freight, got a really good deal on the Plasma that I could not pass up.

What plasma & welder did you get?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Wow, did you win the lottery?
I have a Plasma and Welder as well and they are nice tools to have and you will find they come in real handy for just about anything. Both mine are from Harbor Freight, got a really good deal on the Plasma that I could not pass up.

What plasma & welder did you get?
Nahh, got an allowance from the wife LOL. Got the lift kit for 300 and change shipped. Tires a good used for 300+- and I got a Eastwood 135 MIG (best cheap one from all my research) and a simadre plasma. Also all the accessories and sheet metal stuff I think I might need to fix the rust on this diamond in the rough.

Barneyrubble

Swapped my primary fuel filters,fitted a new tv cable,and installed a new voltmeter 24v,I like the look of those Jatonka winter cold fronts you have fitted,better looking than a sheet of hardboard I usually use,do they sell on the internet?.

hodgeb

Let's see, this is a long list. :p

* Replaced the air filter with a K&T filter. (I was having thoughts about running without a filter until it came in due to concern about parts breaking off and flying into the engine - it was that bad! I suspect it was the original.)
* Swapped the 800 CCA NAPA batteries from the Chevy G30 over into the CUCV, replacing the 700CCA Walmart batteries. They just weren't cutting it for daily 0F starts!
* Topped off the coolant. It would appear I have a leak, somewhere - it's pooling on the frame/front clip junction area and dripping on the driver side springs. Can't seem to identify where...
* Apparently, previous owner should not be allowed around wires! Spent 2 hours under the dash looking for the fog wires, will likely have to pull the full dash to figure this one out...
* Added a lit 120V harness to the front grille with a temperature controlled 4-way splitter on the inside of the engine bay for: battery heater pads, oil heater, trickle charger, (future) frost plug heater (pictures below)
* Got rid of the stock battery tray tops and put in wratchet straps for securing the batteries (MUCH BETTER!)
* Replaced tin can metal battery terminals with some nice thick nickel plated ones
* Spent several hundred dollars on Amazon et al picking up things to be installed when it's finally warm enough to possibly get a little wet: fuel lift pump, spin on fuel block/filter, thermometer, electric fan conversion, in-vehicle 120V inverter for the rear, and a handful of switches, lights (red LEDs to replace the behind-dash incans and the brake lights) and bobbles for in-cab accessories.
* Took off all but 1 of the side radio antenna mounts, sanded, and painted the different-color exposed areas after putting in bolts (with a slightly incorrect color - urg! Anyone know of a good rattle can match for the 'desert' CUCV paint?)

cucv-120v2.jpgcucv-120v.jpg

hodgeb

Oh yeah, and found out the previous owner painted the truck with (ARGGG) a paintbrush. This was an unintentional discovery at the car wash, resulting from the flakes that came off...

hodgeb

Has anyone found a better horn that you can hear? Mine is faint, I know there are two available which works best or was it all together different on cucv?
Not necessarily recommending this, but when I was living in CA, I got 3 Hella motorcycle horns (of different frequency) and wired 'em up on a 20A fuse. It was louder. :)

hodgeb

Did you put a winter front on it, even some card board blocking part would help alot. I have one on my dodge also with just a 12" round opening. Heats up quick.
Yes, I've got cardboard on the grille attached with quick ties. It helps, a little - it'll get 'warm' at 30F at any speed except for idle, but any colder than that and if I'm idling in a parking lot, it ceases to provide "heat" beyond enough to drive out the chill while wearing full outdoor clothing.

hodgeb

I had some Xmas money burning a hole in my pocket so sprung for a pair of the molle seat covers for my 1009. Set was $199.96 delivered from http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Jeep-Interior-Accessories/Smittybilt-GEAR-Seat-Cover . I have had it for 2 years and thought I had cleaned it out pretty good back when I got it, but found these two kooky hockey pucks wrapped in a rag jammed up under the passengers seat.
... what are those hockey pucks? They look like grenades, or field expedient makeup holders... or something.

Barneyrubble

Thanks for the jatonka web site address,tomorrow I have to fix a fractured fuel feed pipe near the tank,had to take a day off work to do it,and the fore cast is -5 with a chance of snow and i have no garage,only a driveway,deep joy!.

It's been the first day of not below zero. Been having a serious power issue from last week. Would bog down and blow blue/white smoke under load. Today I bled the fuel system, changed the filter, 5w40 t6 rotella oil change, topped off coolant, transfer case, and filled the tank along with some power service. Haven't gotten her on the highway yet, but definitely a noticeable appreciation in power. She's all happy now, I think ...

CycleJay

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Hi guys...

All I have done within the last month is:
Get a new set of 4 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires.
Pour a pint of Seafoam motor treatment into my fuel tank
And
Replace both windshield wipers...

That is all... for now...

Just my $0.02 cents...

Good night...

Replaced speedo cable with a new one from Napa auto parts. PN 615-1615.
Also replaced the spedo head with a used one from another member.
Its clocking about 5mph faster than the GPS now, but way better than the ping pong match that i was watching before.
It actually bounced so much that it broke the pointer off.

Also changed out the fuel filter box. No leaks yet, but once that happens Ill probably switch to the spin on mod.
We'll see if performance changes at all with the new filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks