• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvnlrrp

I was reading all the things you guys do with your CUCVs and was showing my wife. Of course her comment was" I guess you expect to fix you truck up like that!" Naturally my reply was "YEAAHH!"

scottladdy

Keep it Simple S_____!

OK, so I am pretty familiar with the CUCV electrical system. And, I'm usually careful and reasoned in my diagnostic approach. Well, I came close to spending money I didn't have to because I rushed a diagnosis.

Parked the M1008A1 in the driveway, and figured while it was still light out I'd replace the old blower motor resistor. I changed the resistor, reconnected the batteries, and went to test it out.

I reached into the cab and turned the key, only saw the Gen2 light. Figured OK, must be the fuse. Nope, that was fine. Checked the connections on the alternator, no change. Figured the alt. was toast and needed a rebuild. So, I started the engine and proceeded to check the voltage on the front battery. 12.5 dead even. OK, figured I was in for a new alt plus rebuild kit for the old one so I would have a spare.

As I resigned myself to this and headed back into the garage ready to place an order, I figured "what the heck, let me just make certain that the new bulb I put in the Gen1 socket wasn't burned out. I reached up behind the dash, wiggled the socket a bit and voila! She was back.

So, after double checking all was well and a charge was being applied, I went in and added new sockets to my next parts order.

Moral of the story, be thorough and don't overlook the simple stuff.

wayne pick

Barneyrubble, It's fuel injector cleaner. It can be added to the engine oil before doing a change. It has been known to free up sticky lifters and loosen up sludgy buildup. Some don't like it as it contains alcohol. When added to a full fuel tank, there should be no issue. Power Service cetane booster is another product you might want to try. It will quiet down some of the 6.2 clatter.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Why do people routinely believe it's a good idea to introduce alcohol into their diesel fuel, I'll never understand. Why not just pour some water in as well?

hodgeb

I've had better luck using desulfured rapeseed oil (you know, canola cooking oil) to quiet the engine. Lube = win. Cetane boosters, aka stuff like Diesel 911, help with the power department, but I don't trust them to not break things with normal use - so they're a cold weather only thing.

Replaced the thermostat and reattached the rearview mirror, got all the stuff together to put in the lift pump and tried to figure out where I want it. Where do you guys put your's? I was thinking of putting it on the outside of the frame rail, about 1' or so forward of the rear wheel, where I've got an existing rubber hose section. However, it looks like it's relatively exposed and would be prone to getting dirty, etc. at that location. (The only other place would be much more difficult to access and maintain - further back towards the tank, right next to the exhaust - I don't like that idea.)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do people routinely believe it's a good idea to introduce alcohol into their diesel fuel, I'll never understand. Why not just pour some water in as well?
Actually I know someone who injects a little water into their deuce intake to reduce the EGTs. But that's an exception! :)

I think the whole concept of introducing alcohol into the diesel fuel is pointless. It's a waste of good alcohol that could be introduced into MY fuel system!

MarcusOReallyus

got all the stuff together to put in the lift pump and tried to figure out where I want it. Where do you guys put your's? I was thinking of putting it on the outside of the frame rail, about 1' or so forward of the rear wheel, where I've got an existing rubber hose section. However, it looks like it's relatively exposed and would be prone to getting dirty, etc. at that location. (The only other place would be much more difficult to access and maintain - further back towards the tank, right next to the exhaust - I don't like that idea.)

There's a thread about that here somewhere... Favorite place seems to be inside the frame rail.

zaxcucv

If my mechanic does it, does it still count as "me"? In that case, just had the front seal and harmonic balancer done, as well as rear axle seals, rear brakes, oil change, removal of mouse nest from defroster vents, and replacement of a bunch of light bulbs under the dash. Also had the bottom power-washed and had it coated with a waxoil treatment- All for 560 including parts and labor-which I thought was pretty good!

Shackelford R

I changed the oi,l trans fluid, and front axle, and took my M1009 to my buddys shop to show him and got him to do the brakes and wheel bearings on monday while im asleep after Iget off work monday morn. sweet

Durango_USMC

Thanks, im going to get the relay tomorrow morning for thr doghead relay mod so I can get it knocked out as soon as I get it home. Ive been reading up on a few of the other things. Thanks for helping me source some parts too.

rsh4364

getting ready to do brake booster,mastercylinder,frnt calipers and pads install. figured i should do brake fluid change as well,after looking things over it looks pretty simple,and all my bleeders broke loose very easy..i bought a vacuum hand pump so it should be easily done by myself..

hodgeb

NOT COOL. I need to get more sleep or something.

Two days ago, I put a new thermostat in (with the temperature stamp facing the block). I appear to have not cleaned the surfaces well enough, and it leaked.

Yesterday, I fixed that. Or so I thought. I put the thermostat in backwards. That became evident about 5 minutes after I got on the road, at 70mph, when a cloud of smoke erupted. The RTV had gotten blown out and the antifreeze was etching my gen1 mount. Eep.

So today, after a full 6 hours of sleep, hopefully I fixed all that with the thermostat pointing the correct direction, via a gasket with RTV.

Also, replaced the generator belts. They were scary, and probably older than my children.

mudman

Well it's been really cold here. Highs in the teens and lows of zero or below, for about a month and a half now.. Well I got a hanker'n to start old "Sophie".. Got my keys, opened the door...Just one set on the glow plugs, and whamo "Fire in the hole".. and went for a drive around town.!!! This truck has sat for 3 months at least now..Old Sophie sure treats me right..Any way I need a cover for the front...Jatonka here I come!!!

Ken

wayne pick

I dropped the transfer case and resealed the adapter to case with a gasket I made from some PVC roll roofing material I found at work. It started leaking after plowing snow last week. An in the driveway job, but I got it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks