• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swapped the steering stabilizer out for a new one; no drama.

I'm wondering if I need new tie-rod ends, one has a torn grease boot and they all seem to have more play than I think is good (but I'm no expert).

The torn one should definitely be replaced at some point. Without the boot, grease doesn't stay in the ball and socket anymore, plus dust and water can more easily get inside and cause further wear and tear.
When it comes to steering parts, when in doubt...replace it.
And you might as well replace both tie-rods at the same time, you will have to get it aligned anyways whether you replace one or both.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Picked up a nice light bar for cheap, it will be mounted to the safari rack as to avoid drilling holes in the cab. Mounted pictures will be delayed as I have to build the safari rack first.

code3.jpg

00Buck

Checked brakes and bled system on the M101A2 today. Went surprisingly well. The old fluid looked really bad, but not as bad as the M1028. This was my first bleed and wanted to start on the trailer to learn. Also executed some ideas for the truck to see if they would work. I think they turned out pretty cool.2013-04-14 17.01.20.jpg2013-04-14 17.01.35.jpg
The door lock is a .223 casing which fits very well onto the plastic door lock that had the head broke off. And drilled and tapped the head of the grenade to fit the shifter rod. Thanks for all the inspiration and knowledge you all give me everyday when I read postings. I act like my wife and her Pinterest.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Got the code 3 light bar painted and mocked up. Wiring will be the next step, need to find a good light controller.

light bar.jpg

Durango_USMC

Swapped the steering stabilizer out for a new one; no drama.

I'm wondering if I need new tie-rod ends, one has a torn grease boot and they all seem to have more play than I think is good (but I'm no expert).
Lucky... I'm about to sawzall that piston bolt and put a breakerbar and a socket on it...

As for the tie rod (The bar the steering stabilizer bolts to in front of the axle correct?), does yours have a bit of rotation front to back? Mine does.... not sure if that was normal or not?

gmjunky87

changed the door locks on my m1008 and greased the inside of both doors and knocked some dents out of the DS door and also replaced that panel. also picked up a spare door from the same bone yard I got the locks from. oh yeah and bought a whole spare m1028 truck a couple weeks ago. :-D

PETE BALLARD

Gmjunky87 - are you going to part out the m1028 you just bought?? If so i am looking for some stuff - brush guard, good floor mat, if there is such a thing, starter, alt, ect
thanks - pete

gmjunky87

I'm not sure yet, ill probably hang on to it. The body is shot. the brush guard in the front has some dents and dings, the bumpers are rotted through.

FatBuddhaBoo

Bought mine and had it towed home last Friday. Did the fuel filter upgrade, replaced the GP relay and glow plugs and she fired right up! Now for the fun parts...repairing the rusted pillars, rocker panels, floor pans and rear section of each door.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Bought mine and had it towed home last Friday. Did the fuel filter upgrade, replaced the GP relay and glow plugs and she fired right up! Now for the fun parts...repairing the rusted pillars, rocker panels, floor pans and rear section of each door.
Doing that now, welcome to the party

Cucvnut

I changed out my drivers side generator belt. I checked the other two they where in good condition the drivers side just stretched a bit and was squealing a ton!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lucky... I'm about to sawzall that piston bolt and put a breakerbar and a socket on it...
As for the tie rod (The bar the steering stabilizer bolts to in front of the axle correct?), does yours have a bit of rotation front to back? Mine does.... not sure if that was normal or not?
Mine does- I think that's normal. When I got the truck and did the first oil change I greased up the tie rods- the grease chased a little rusty water out. The steering still feels tight, so I'm dragging my feet on swapping them out.

I reassembled the steering stabilizer with a light coating of anti-seize so it'll come apart easy for when I do get to the tie rods. I still have a pint can of good aircraft anti-seize I got as a parting gift when I left the engine shop in 1986.

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

Well... I couldve had this thing done long ago... Sawzall and the breaker bar had the old bolt out in 2 minutes... So I now have a tuff country steering stabilizer installed now. Soon onto the king pin rebuilds hoping I have a better clue about what I'm doing. :wink:

combatmech

Changed glow plugs and connectors. Took me and a helper about 30 min to complete. We figure that they had been changed at some point before I bought it.
Super easy!! And after doing my homework, we were prepared to deal with at least one or more swollen GP's. Two had signs they were on their way to being near impossible to get out.

****Glow plugs fixed my hard to start when cold issue*****

Last edited:

wrex

Took most of what I wanted to keep on it to get it ready to sell, lol.
Don't worry, I got another. I just don't need two. Hah.

Jlprober

Manuel Transmission vs automatic? Any thoughts? Anybody tried converting the 400 to any manual tranny?
Also this is the floor board of the M-1031 that I'm looking to buy. Is the 4wd shifter always in the manual tranny hole instead of the hole just to the left of the shifter? Any questions you might ask from this pic?
IMG_1101.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Manuel Transmission vs automatic? Any thoughts? Anybody tried converting the 400 to any manual tranny?
Also this is the floor board of the M-1031 that I'm looking to buy. Is the 4wd shifter always in the manual tranny hole instead of the hole just to the left of the shifter? Any questions you might ask from this pic?
The transfer case shifter is actually in the transfer case shifter hole. The depression towards and under the dash is for the transmission shifter. The manual SM465 swap is pretty much a bolt in but I'd much prefer to have a parts truck to pilfer through during the swap. Mid 80's didn't see a wide variety of manual trannys.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Permanently mounted the cans, added a third battery with continuous duty solenoid that's ignition switched (I can run equipment without vehicle running, without killing the starting battery, but still charges when the vehicle is on). I Finished installing/wiring the SS2000, the D700, the SignalMaster, and the lightbar with HIDs. Installed the second siren speaker, and a bunch more.

Still need to mount the mic clips and tidy up the split loom, and get pictures of the stuff I haven't taken pictures of.

20130424_201849_zps53678e9c.jpg20130424_203022_zps00086593.jpg20130424_203045_zps4c8280cc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks