• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmjunky87

Manuel Transmission vs automatic? Any thoughts? Anybody tried converting the 400 to any manual tranny?
Also this is the floor board of the M-1031 that I'm looking to buy. Is the 4wd shifter always in the manual tranny hole instead of the hole just to the left of the shifter? Any questions you might ask from this pic?
View attachment 424650
follow this guys build on diesel place http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...el-engine/431460-so-begins-my-cucv-m1008.html

dwbf fdwb

On day 2 of ownership I had to replace the drive gear for the speedometer. went into town to a transmission shop and the man had one on the shelf and when I asked him how much it was he gave it to me. He told me that nobody has ever co039.jpgme to his shop asking for 400 parts. Granted it was a used part but fixed my problem!

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I finally scored a 14b FF for my M1009. I won't be breaking it anytime soon! Lot's of details in my build thread:

14b under cucv.jpg

Herewego

oil pressure: I T'd off the idiot light sender by the firewall. Water Temp: I put the sender in the plug of the passenger side of the firewall. Tranny temp: Drivers side of tranny has a pressure port that the treads fit the sender. Let me know if anyone wants pics.

hunderliggur

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

oil pressure: I T'd off the idiot light sender by the firewall. Water Temp: I put the sender in the plug of the passenger side of the firewall. Tranny temp: Drivers side of tranny has a pressure port that the treads fit the sender. Let me know if anyone wants pics.
We always want pics and part numbers if possible! Nice looking install.

chief1983

I could use a pic of the transmission one. I bought the threaded water jacket cover for the passenger side for water temp myself, and used the oil tap next to the overflow tank on the drivers side for oil pressure, but I was going to tap a new deep pan for my transmission sender since I wasn't aware of an existing place to tap for trans temperature.

Herewego

I could use a pic of the transmission one. I bought the threaded water jacket cover for the passenger side for water temp myself, and used the oil tap next to the overflow tank on the drivers side for oil pressure, but I was going to tap a new deep pan for my transmission sender since I wasn't aware of an existing place to tap for trans temperature.
Here you go. Its on the drivers side of the tranny......tranny.jpgtranny2.jpg

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Well my RC lift u bolts do not fit the newly acquired 14b FF axle. I thought I was stuck mail ordering new ones, NOPE. I found a place in town that makes u bolts while you wait. Grade 8, case hardened with hardware for 50.00 in 15 minutes. Axle goes on tomorrow.

ubolts.jpg

chief1983

Herewego:
Just looked and saw it for myself now. That's awesome. Do you know what the threading was that your unit s then? I'm guessing it's an NPT. I bought another Autometer Autogage 2355 to use as a transmission temp indicator, it comes with 1/8 NPT, 3/8 NPT and 1/2 NPT, hoping one of those works. I'm guessing that if it's detecting temperature there, the fluid level is that high in the transmission, and some is likely to run out when I pull that? I'm probably going to drop the pan and replace it with a deep finned pan anyway at the same time.

Last edited:

Herewego

Herewego:
Just looked and saw it for myself now. That's awesome. Do you know what the threading was that your unit s then? I'm guessing it's an NPT. I bought another Autometer Autogage 2355 to use as a transmission temp indicator, it comes with 1/8 NPT, 3/8 NPT and 1/2 NPT, hoping one of those works. I'm guessing that if it's detecting temperature there, the fluid level is that high in the transmission, and some is likely to run out when I pull that? I'm probably going to drop the pan and replace it with a deep finned pan anyway at the same time.
It is a 1/8 NPT thread. There is definitely fluid up that high up. I had to have some quick hands while laying on my back. I'm still not sure if its the best place to get a temp reading. But it sure is the easiest. Good luck!

truck1

Just completed an AN/VRC12 install on my 1028. Decided to locate radios in the bed above the wheel well on a Hummvee tray. Used a MX 7777 behind drivers seat on the bulkhead. I like the RT 246 remote setup which allows complete control (10 presets and on /off plus hi / lo switch. Audio is also remote .Private Jarhead provided excellent equipment at a great price. Deal with confidence with Doug! Now Ham test and let the fun begin.

Attachments

chief1983

Herewego, I was reading a long Pirate4x4 thread about the TH400 sending unit, apparently that's a pressure test port. They think there's not normally fluid flowing past that spot in park, so I'd keep that in mind when reading your gauge. It seems there's a lot of debate on the optimal spot being outlet line vs directly in the pan being 'best', but that test port wins hands down for being the easiest, and is probably sufficient. Some even install multiple sending units and a switch to toggle between which reading they get :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks