• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After my panic stop on Monday I've noticed a very slight squeak in the brakes when rolling at low speeds, and since it was time to rotate the tires I figured it was a good time to have a look at the brakes. They're all getting to the replace-me point, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

While it was on the jack stands I crawled under with my big pry-bar and pushed and pulled everything I could find, looking for something loose. Since I've had the truck there's been this nasty jackhammer sound coming from the rear- only when I'm sitting at a stoplight at idle. Something is loose and the vibration during that condition was making a terrible racket. Right about the time I was going to give up, not finding anything loose, I balled up a fist and smacked the fuel tank skid plate. Hmmmm, that sounds familiar. Sure enough, one corner was loose, causing the whole skid plate to resonate when that certain vibration was present.

Fixed.

jets1959

After my panic stop on Monday I've noticed a very slight squeak in the brakes when rolling at low speeds, and since it was time to rotate the tires I figured it was a good time to have a look at the brakes. They're all getting to the replace-me point, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

While it was on the jack stands I crawled under with my big pry-bar and pushed and pulled everything I could find, looking for something loose. Since I've had the truck there's been this nasty jackhammer sound coming from the rear- only when I'm sitting at a stoplight at idle. Something is loose and the vibration during that condition was making a terrible racket. Right about the time I was going to give up, not finding anything loose, I balled up a fist and smacked the fuel tank skid plate. Hmmmm, that sounds familiar. Sure enough, one corner was loose, causing the whole skid plate to resonate when that certain vibration was present.

Fixed.
Mine had the same problem, except after I tighten it up it still had the sound. Looked again and the front inside corner was rubbing the frame. Thanks to GL forklift the plate is bent and I was unable to bend it back in place. So I slit a two inch piece of fuel hose and slid it onto the shield between it and the frame. No more sound. Just did it so I will keep everyone up to date on how long it lasts.

edpdx

Thanks for the tips. I temporarily put vise grips on the rear bow and slid the vice grip down until i could get the rear buttons attached. Now that the rear curtain is attached and the bow is shorter it is definatly looser on the sides. I guess it jus the way she goes. I do need to find/make some corner straps as i only have 1 left.

How rough will it get through the winter? I was hoping to use it for mtn trips to keep my stuff dry.
max1008, The top will hold up fine as long as you maintain it. I assume you have the relief straps that go over the to pof the bows to keep rain from puddling between bows [too much]. Keep the top puddle free if you are parking it. Either cover the top with a tarp, lower the top and wrap the cover with a tarp or when you are certain you are done for the season, remove it after cleaning it and store it DRY after wiping it down with some vinyl protectant. It seems like a hassle- but the cost of a new cover- if you can find them has to be considered against the hassle factor.

Recovry4x is right about water getting in still. I found that splitting the load vertically gave me more room to dry store things I didn't want wet like sleeping bags and toilet paper :cry:. Build a shelf that resembles a wood pallet and lay a stiff piece of plywood over it. support it across the top of the bed rails at the front end of the bed- 3 sides. If you cut it right, it will be snug fit and wont shift. Store dry goods and crushables on top of this shelf. It gives you more vertical storage capacity- just don't stack heavy things that will shift on corners or you'll stress the cargo cover. Use a strap to secure the load to the shelf and you'll be g-t-g. Best thing is if you have to sleep on-board, the shelf makes a dandy place to sleep, eat and cook.

One more tip for using the shelf: store things you may need- backpack, water [beer], rifle, toolbox, etc on top of the shelf near the corners, and you'll be able to access them by opening the corner zippers, not by having to empty the load to get at them.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I got the 14 bolt full float axle all bolted in along with a 1" zero rate to lift the saggy butt up. Got my 1310 to 1350 u joint in the mail to install. Got the new pro comp 15x10 rock crawler rims and my 35s together and installed (internal airsoft balance). Now to install the rear shocks. Up next is FINALLY the 1" body lift from ORD. Oh and more rust remediation is done. Getting there :)

2013-05-03_15-13-22_205.jpg

hunderliggur

Not having the time but wanting my M1009 in good shape for driving to Findlay in a couple of weeks, I had my mechanic replace the harmonic balancer (preventative - it was original), repack all four wheel bearings, replace front wheel boots, and change the belts (as long as they were off anyway), and rotate the tires. Drives great. Time for oil, oil filter, and air filter (just checked, its dirty).

forest522

I bought this addition to the collection. A very basic M116. It has a 6x8 steel deck with the two front posts and several stake sleeves along each side. I don't have a lot of information on it, still learning.

I will be used as a camping gear trailer with the occasional load of mulch or gravel - no more that a yard. Today's project is to assemble stake panels all around.
IMG-20130503-00066.jpgIMG-20130503-00065.jpg

Red_506

As for the pooling of water, one thing we used to do is put ply-wood on top of the bows. You will need to use thin sheets for a cargo compartment as the bows aren't as strong as the pillars of a vehicle. Just figured I would put that out there.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed the seat covers that I bought from JATonka. They fit and look great. Here are a few pictures. Bert
They look nice. I had a set of NOS covers on my 09 when I still had it. Loved them except I couldn't get the canvas odor out of them.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I scored a decent M-1943 Entrenching Tool (Shovel) at the flea market for 3 dollars and 50 cents. Little rust on the blade but otherwise good working condition. Just what I was looking for to mount on my M1009's brush guard.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They look nice. I had a set of NOS covers on my 09 when I still had it. Loved them except I couldn't get the canvas odor out of them.
Once the canvas smell is gone, it's time to replace them. I love the fresh smell of military canvas in the morning.

MarcusOReallyus

As for the pooling of water, one thing we used to do is put ply-wood on top of the bows. You will need to use thin sheets for a cargo compartment as the bows aren't as strong as the pillars of a vehicle. Just figured I would put that out there.

When I picked up my trailer it had a sheet of 1/4" plywood on top of the bows. I figure that's what it was there for.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Painted the wwii shovel with rust encapsulator, good enough for trail use :) For less than the price of a burger it was a good swap meet find:

2013-05-06_14-24-30_699.jpg

Cut open the lower outer b pillar and welded in two patches (lots more detail in my build thread).

2013-05-06_14-22-27_302.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks