• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXTAC

New Warden's are on their way! Took less than a week and MUCH quicker than GL (my dad just waited over 100 days for his EU to be approved!!)

Also put in a tank of B11 from the local Gas City and couldn't tell the difference after about 30 miles.

scrambled

I pulled 3 swollen glowplugs out today. All were autolite 110s and had swollen to almost twice their size at the tip. they came out through the injector hole. Then I bought new clips for the return hoses as I had created a new fuel leak. I will not miss this one when it leaves next week!

Travis

firecontrol86

Put in new window gaskets on both doors, outer and inner. Now just need to install the door gaskets and the little ones around the vent windows and my leaking interior is almost watertight!

DXTAC

I ordered a vinyl nameplate for MONGO a while back and it arrived today so my wife and did the install. It's definitely BOLD but I think it looks pretty good! Does anyone know how to remove the spray painted unit information below it and the crappy star in the middle bottom??? I think I read somewhere on here that oven cleaner will take it off? Has anyone tried that?

Thanks,

Attachments

Jerchambers

how did you mount the ammo can for a console? There is the angle sloping down between the seats...How did you compensate for it? I have the same can so I was just wondering.

DXTAC

I used a piece of PVC, I believe it was 3 inch. If I did it again I would use hard walled conduit or similar as the front provides the stability and the rear is just for height compensation. Here's a pic before it was painted.

Attachments

jacksmad1

Changed out the door locks and ignition switch on my M1009. Also replaced the rear window crank assembly since I saw that it was broken when I went to change the lock cylinder. Also lubed the rear window channel so it will crank up and down easier. The rear window crank came chromed so I roughed it up with 400 grit sandpaper, then painted it black. Drove 75 miles one way to buy a wheel for a spare tire, painted the wheel black to match, ordered a tire to match the other 4.

jacksmad1

Temporarily fixed some rusted out rocker panels by cutting out small rusted areas, fiberglassing over the holes and spraying on bedliner to match the rest of the floorboard. When I get more of other things done that I need or want to do first, then I hope to come back to this and cut out bad areas and weld in new parts.

Did the kingpin springs and cups. Also did the steering stop (replaced with a tad longer small thread 3/8" bolt so the driver's tire would not hit the steering arm). Tomorrow gets new bearings, races, and seals on the bottom of the steering knuckle, a new steering stabilizer, as well as a new steering arm. Also, on the ass end in the camper, rigged a headless ipod interface, 2 amazing kicker outdoor speakers, and a 800wt amp, along with a 3-way switch panel with a battery meter.

BTW, it took 6 hours to get the kingpin cover off. Finally, with lots of heat (mucho acetelene), 3 drift pins, and a ton of torque, got that off. One slightly bent stud was the culprit. Went to 2 parts stores and couldn't match the stud. Replaced with a bolt and a drilled out nut to seat it. Now the lowers. I want this death wobble gone for good, and I've put in more than enough time to solve it.

So, I've got a good 5 hours of heavy wrenching in the morning, suit up, and then return. Just have to get it together before I have to drive and guide. Then I've got plenty of tools for the rest of the day into the night to rebuild it.

Another chronicle of the DD muther cucker.

Replacing the high beam/windshield arm and switch is going to be a pitb. I've got a puller for the steering wheel, but don't know what kind of plastic gremlins I'm going to be looking at. And I know it's going to be Oh So Much Fun dealing with that steering column wiring etc.

Barrman

Another month and more stuff done. Rebuilt starter, new rear battery, new battery cables, rebuilt speedometer so it actaully shows how fast I am going and doesn't bounce anymore. Cleaned up all the connections on the gauge panel so all the lights actually work now. Fixed the fuel sender wire so the fuel gauge works. Replaced the 4x4 sendor switch so that light works. Installed the proper wing window handle so both sides match now. Coil over shocks on the rear which make the truck sit level and ride down a bumpy road a lot better. tighten up the one loose torque converter bolt and that is about all I can remember at this time.

snock

So far I've replaced the front U-joints and ball joints, plugged a leak in the fuel filter, welded in a new section of rocker panel on the driver's side, and most recently replaced the exhaust from the manifold back.

Other than that I've put the antennas and radios in but will be switching over to a dual PRC-119 set up in the future.

Sajer

Replaced the door seals, and seals for the front windows. Need to order seals for the rear tailgate and rear windows this week. Painted the rear section of the bed with bedliner, looks pretty good.

Hope to have a stereo in by next month also.!

jacksmad1

Bought spare tire and 2 20mm ammo cans. One for center console, other for ????. Need to find some cup holders locally to install in console.

DXTAC

Adjusted the headlights and had the TreadWright Warden A/T's balanced and mounted! WOW, what a difference properly balanced tires make! No more wheel vibrations, just a pleasing hum.

kvitt

Sanded entire body down, primed and sealed fiberglass roof,started on rust removal. Took seats out, front and rear floor pans came in this week. Sprayed 1st coat of Rapco tan on body to get some color on it...sanded, wire wheeled bumpers, put rapco brown on them. Worked on tail gate, and wire wheeled 2 wheels. Bought a 20MM ammo can, for a console. then ate lunch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks