• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DokWatson

Got a 3/8 to 1/2 socket converter, 30mm socket and managed to make a mess changing the transfer case fluid. Shot out further than I expected and missed my bucket lol.

K5cucvEOD

I have been spending a lot of time at the auto shop. Taking 1 of my m1008's and putting engine w/banks turbo, th400, np208, d60, and the 14 bolt in my m1009. I stripped down the d60, cleaned out the diff, new spicer u-joints, repacked all bearings. This is going to be a sweet truck. Just finished putting in a new oil pan gasket, sense I have it out of the truck. It is way easier to install a turbo kit with the engine out of the truck. Along with the one ton axles, i'm adding a crossover steering set up from sky-manufacturing and 36" Iroks.

Attachments

jacksmad1

Yesterday, replaced all three fan belts.....took a while to get the power steering belt off....it didn't want to leave.....changed the oil and filter, changed the fuel filter. Installed a 12v lighter socket for my chargers and accessories.

aspann

Replaced left headlight, checked all glow plugs, all bad, replaced all. Only one wouldn't come out. Made a tool to pull it out. Came out without breaking. Old plugs Wellman. Put in AC 60g. Checked GP comtroller card. Not burnt. Cleaned contacts. Put multimeter on dash and connected to 24v going to gp relay, turned on key, the 24v dropped to about 12 telling me the dropping resistors are working. Started up first try. I learned how to do all this from members on SS. Thanks folks.

BigJohn1009

I replaced the rear battery, did the Doghead starter relay mod (starts quick and sure) :smile: , added fluid to the TC.

I started looking for a new winshield wiper/pump moter- any hints?

DokWatson

topgun217

Napa or junk yard forthe pump it was cheep. Pump only. Got the wiper motor At a junk yard for $20 but didnt need it after I bypassed the noise surpresor (thank 319 for that assist)

Last edited:

jacksmad1

Replaced all 8 glow plugs (Wellman), all 8 were open, no continuity. Thank God none of them were swollen, all came out easily. Installed 8 AC 60G glow plugs and installed the new slip on connectors on the wires to fit them. Will test if they work when it is 40 degrees in the morning. ;-)

Makincold

First day working on the "new to me" M1028
Pulled the radiator, transmission cooler lines came out ok, one oil cooler line came out ok, well guess that means one oil cooler line in toast.... Twisted off at the fitting at the radiator...
Will change belts and hoses while it's apart
Will change the heater core too and add new heater hoses
Who knows what else I'll find to fix while I'm this far along

jacksmad1

New glowplugs installed yesterday worked great this morning when temps were in the 40's. Installed new Sylvania Silverstar headlights. Installed new vacuum modulator which fixed my 1-3 shift problem. It now shifts 1-2-3 !!! Installed new fusible link in my 12v lighter circuit so it would use the same blade type fuse as the rest of the truck. Installed 4 new Monroe Reflex shocks, the original shocks were shot! They would compress easily and never sprang back at all, totally gone.

Just wanted to thank everyone that posts their solutions to problems and that respond to questions. I have learned so much about this truck in such a short amount of time. It is great. I am blessed and thankful. :-D

DokWatson

Got the grease gun and repacked everything with boat trailer axle grease.

Organized my bed box and re-stocked it with all the necessary fluids and extra parts.

DokWatson

Napa or junk yard forthe pump it was cheep. Pump only. Got the wiper motor At a junk yard for $20 but didnt need it after I bypassed the noise surpresor (thank 319 for that assist)
Turns out the hose just popped off. D'oh! Popped it back on, but the pump is weak and barely sprays at all. Going to pull the aftermarket pump out of my parts truck and bolt it to the firewall.

gvaneck

Transmission was leaking so i replaced the trans pan gasket and flushed the trans and replace the filter. The leak seems to have stopped. Still hearing a weird noise in the rear. Sounds like brakes but happens at random times. Going to check the rear diff level and probably replace the gasket and fluid. See if that helps

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the pintle hook and bracket. All parts are there except the cross beam underneath. Fun part was getting the pintle to let go. Supposed to be greased and able to spin freely. After multiple hours of many cuss words and innovative prying techniques, got it out, cleaned it up and put ut back. Slick as a whistle and just like new.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks