• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhinob

I'd like to do a Maryland ANG K-9, but they might not exist, so....we have to wait, so we might as well see....

I should have finished photos very soon. That CARC is about 2mm thick. Pretty amazing stuff.

Whitey

Rhinob, I was thinking the 115th light infantry NG unit out of the armory in Frederick. I did a guardsman for a day a few times back in high school and they were pretty cool guys. How hard was it to apply the CARC? I've heard some people had issues with their spray setups. I need a setup of my own anyway, might as well get one that will last.

On a side note, waterline broke in my basement overnight. Soo glad the gun safe was not down there. :smile:

Disciple

Let's see...

Power Steering Gear Box
2 new high pressure lines for the box
Outer control arm
Alignment
Newly rebuilt starter
Bypassed the Starter Relay... I was going to do the "Doghead Relay Modification" (even have the new relay in the Glove Box) but decided to put the starter on a manual switch instead. My thinking is that it will be more reliable (que the "it's been proven reliable" talk. I believe you guys, I just like this better, I'm the only one who drives the truck.
Bypassed the Resistor Bank and ran the 12v from the front battery to the GP Relay.
- As for the last one, I'm not sure I did it exactly right, but it's working... so far. I was told to just disconnect the resistors and toss 'em (I'm keeping them) and run the red wire above them from the little black plastic diamond shaped box to the top of the relay where the resistor used to go, but when I just do that, the black diamond thing doesn't get 12v anymore and NOTHING works, so I jumpered between the black diamond thing and the top of the GP Relay. Viola!

Been an EXPENSIVE day!

For tomorrow: Manual Glow Plugs

Last edited:

jacksmad1

Finally installed the doghead starter relay that I bought weeks ago. You don't have to wonder whether or not that relay is energizing!! Sounds like you're hitting the metal dash with a small hammer....:D

ralbelt

Remove transmission, flush trans and replace filter.
flex plate
starter rebuilt, new geardrive starter on standby.
starter bolts, one set on stand by
Doghead starter relay modification
CDR valve, two on stand by
new left head, right head resurfaced, valves recut as needed
fuel lift pump
exhaust manifolds resurface
new intake manifold
new gaskets, top end
injectors rebuilt
fuel filter
new glow plugs wellman 070's
replace all vacume hoses
vac modulator
heater hoses and belts
wiper blades
Had dashpad and door panels hydrographicly covered
Cleaned dash light contacts and replaced bulbs
Remove rear box ,replace rubber fuel lines
Sand, wire wheel prime and paint chassis
Repair dents, sand, prime, and paint body 383 CARC
glowplugs AC 60G's,change GPR to 12v
GPR ST85
Rotated headlight buckets, and replaced and repaired adj screws
New headlights
New front side marker lights
2 oil changes and oil filters
rear license plate light
12v power port
front steering stabilizer, rotate tires

Last edited:

rhinob

Rhinob, I was thinking the 115th light infantry NG unit out of the armory in Frederick. I did a guardsman for a day a few times back in high school and they were pretty cool guys. How hard was it to apply the CARC? I've heard some people had issues with their spray setups. I need a setup of my own anyway, might as well get one that will last.

On a side note, waterline broke in my basement overnight. Soo glad the gun safe was not down there. :smile:
That's a thought. I know someone that was with that unit. Will ask him about proper markings, etc. The CARC was applied professionally. They were geared up already doing boxes for water purification units. They're apparently being built locally.

Glad you're 'hardware' is safe after your water intrusion. That would have been awful.

WackoJacko85

Oil and filter change
Transmission fluid change,
had to change the transmission fluid because a few months back i was low (didnt look at the fuild level before I left) on a trip and the gas station only had ATF 4+ so... yeah put some of that in there and just now got around to swapping it out. Seemed to help smooth out the shifting. Does adding power steering fluid weekly count as working on my CUCV? since 'im saving up for steering upgrades.

lindyp38

i got historical tags for my m1008.....i removed the alternators and sent them out to get rebuilt......

i picked up a g p control .......thanks jason.....lol....

i ordered heater hoses.......new belts.........new antifreeze........

and added a few more things to my list of things to do...lol...

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decided to do some cleaning. Lifted the floor mats and Holy Smokes! Solid dirt! Scraped and vacuumed out about 20lbs of dirt, part of the under mat insulation was trashed, got rid of it too.
found a leak in the fuel system, still trying to figure that one out
found a leak in the heater system, might be fixed, don't know yet
fixed the left hand turn signal, now it works.

Next on the list: front drive shaft (found one at the junk yard)
attack the rust spots
clean up the bumpers and re-aply the WY ANG markings
Touch up the paint
figure out how to attach the rear license plate

Lana

Turbo

A month and a half ago I put a 6.5 turbo on my 6.2 diesel. It was crazy, but gave me a lot more hp. My 86 M1031 used to take about 25 second to get from 0-60, now it only takes 12. Totally worth the three days of work!!

rhinob

Manoman, glad the important stuff wasn't down there!

Here's a couple more out in the woods, and one at a friend's place....

Also, replace the tail shaft output seal. Took about 15 minutes. Love it!

Attachments

musclecars664

most recent thing i have done is put and aluminum radiator in. hardly gives me any heat, but it beats paying 600 bucks for another core for the factory radiator.

rhinob

Nice truck! I have its twin one county over in Eldersburg MD.
Thanks! New CARC paint really improved it's appearance. Took care of a little dent hear and there. Nice to have it back.

I've seen a few CUCV's lurking around Maryland. Even had one pass me on my home street recently. A friend told me about a trailer for sale which led me to an M1008 sitting in the guy's driveway along with 4 250,000 BTU heaters, another trailer, etc.

Small world. Must make the next Aberdeen to see a lot of these in one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks