• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draco-87

Did the doghead strarter fix, K&N air filter changed the engine oil (delo 400 15-40) engine is realy quiet now started on a swing out tire carrier changed out the winston/cooper tires(tire guy said they stopped making them in 2000. that explaines the side tire blow out at 60mph) going to repack the front bearings, and start on the sm-465/205 into the 1009.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaces 8 glow plugs, easy job. Reinstalled a dual air intake on the 6.2 ran the tubes to the sides and thats it. BTW the engine is much quieter with the dual air system, didn't figure on that.

jdeoliveira74

Did the doghead strarter fix, K&N air filter changed the engine oil (delo 400 15-40) engine is realy quiet now started on a swing out tire carrier changed out the winston/cooper tires(tire guy said they stopped making them in 2000. that explaines the side tire blow out at 60mph) going to repack the front bearings, and start on the sm-465/205 into the 1009.
Are u fabing your swing out tires carrier yourself... I am wanting to do one myself just not a welder... got pics??nopics

DanzboysM1009

Finished up the radiator replacement. Had to get new oil cooler lines made. Went to a local hydraulic line shop. showed them what I had and he hooked me up. I thought $148 was a bit expensive, but considering he had to make custom lines from a drawing and what was left over from the oil aluminum ones, consider it money well spent. Did some creative routing and they are good to go. Ran it around town, only a small leak from one of the transmission lines, just needed a bit more tightening. All in all, happy with how things ended up.

LCDR Dan

jdeoliveira74

Sweet cannot wait to see it. What did it cost to have the brackets made. I have picked up a rear tire carrier from a s10 blazer was going to see if i could have brackets made to make it work. curious about cost!
thanks

Draco-87

the top mount is stock. the bottom is the one i had fabbed. also on the lower mount there is a curved piece of steel inside for the outside to bolt into for strength.(note) the top mount was a MFer to get bolted on! The lower mount was about $70 to have made

Attachments

Last edited:

topgun217

Are you pushing your truck too hard on the fire runs? or were the belts just old and needed replaced anyway? I don't drive all too fast when I respond in the 1009 for obvious reasons. They are great work horse vehicles but I definetly not a rapid response vehicle being 25 years old. Do you use any of the LEd lights so as not to pull hard off the gens and batts?

jdeoliveira74

the top mount is stock. the bottom is the one i had fabbed. also on the lower mount there is a curved piece of steel inside for the outside to bolt into for strength.(note) the top mount was a MFer to get bolted on! The lower mount was about $70 to have made
send some pics my way when you have it all bolted up would love to see it all finished
Jon

epitts

Just about done

Painted the truck w/Rapco 383 green all new weather-stripping (still need to do top) poorly fixed the bodywork, only a few spots needed work. Hurcaliner the floor front and back. Painted the door panels and the instrument bezel, installed a new cover lay dash cover. Added seat covers to the front seats. Stenciled front and back as when purchased. Bumper numbers are my plates. Engine wise installed new vac pump and vacuum valve, changed fluids, adjusted belts, installed two new batteries. Truck has run great since day one with no problems. Wife said I need to camo the truck, maybe next year. Just enjoy driving it and my dog loves it. Still need to add a radio plus I am going to install a 12 volt airplane radio I have extra.

Also went through dash with new lights and cleaned everthing I could find. New tail lights and side makers. Cleaned all grounds and any connections I could find.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bethelfire

All the belts were old and needed replaced. The light bar is a old one I got for free at the FD....would like to have a LED but they are a little to costly. I have 98 CVPI when I really need to get there fast!

HoJoPo

Put my personalized Amateur Radio call sign plates on it earlier in the week, and drove it over to the transmission shop in Visalia that is going to do the 700r4 swap, so they could see what would be involved (very little, since the TH400 and 700r4 are the same length, and I have a complete donor drivetrain.)

Today, I drove down to Oxnard and picked up a complete 6.2l engine / 700r4 trans / NP208 tcase out of a 1984 1/2 ton Chevy short narrow stepside. Blown head gasket on the drivers side, everything else intact, no fan or alternator, otherwise complete. All for $200. :D Ok, I did have to spend 8 hours on the road today going there and back.

The transmission shop will do a complete heavy duty rebuild on the 700r4 (new clutches, gaskets, seals and heavy duty torque converter), including converting the lockup from solenoid to hydraulic and eliminating the vacuum servo. Should make it a pretty simple swap. They'll use the transfer case from the 1/2 ton, with the output flange from the M1010, and the speedometer gear from it as well.

Should be able to do 90 MPH if I'm a madman once it's done.... :)

Attached is a pick of the engine / trans / tcase in the back of my '03 Ram 3500.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks