• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah_Johnson

Flex plate & starter repair M1009 6.2

I was driving my Blazer to other day and went to the store, when I came back & went to start and got this loud grinding noise. I had had this problem years ago on a SBC starter and or flex plate problem. It finally started and when I got it home I removed the bottom trans cover and found some bad teeth on the flex plate . I PMed Doghead and found out where to get correct flex plate ( Ebay) and now getting around to installing it . Also found out my started bolt , that supports the back of starter broken but brace still there . I got flex plate on and ever thing bolted back together going to do some needed repairs on starter . I do need to no where to get a replacement bendix before I put starter back on.

Attachments

epartsman

epartsman

I was driving my Blazer to other day and went to the store, when I came back & went to start and got this loud grinding noise. I had had this problem years ago on a SBC starter and or flex plate problem. It finally started and when I got it home I removed the bottom trans cover and found some bad teeth on the flex plate . I PMed Doghead and found out where to get correct flex plate ( Ebay) and now getting around to installing it . Also found out my started bolt , that supports the back of starter broken but brace still there . I got flex plate on and ever thing bolted back together going to do some needed repairs on starter . I do need to no where to get a replacement bendix before I put starter back on.
Jeremiah forget rebuilding that starter as it is a problem waiting to happen again.

Get the new gear reduction starter from DB Electrical it is availabe on *Bay for $108.00 which includes shipping. There is no core charge and it comes with a 1 year no hassle warranty. I love mine it turns over so much easier and starts faster using less power.
You will also need a new bracket GM 23502557 - Starter Bracket - new style Gear Reduction starter

chief1983

A local shadetree mechanic found that the right flex plate seemed to be from a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 6.2 and the Turbo 400 when he had to hunt down the right part for me. Nothing listed for a civvy Blazer was the right part.

wayne pick

700R4 rebuild

I got my trans back from the rebuilder today, $977.00 in parts, $760.00 in labor.aua All HD internals. Fabed up mounts and lines for Derale external cooler and remote spin on filter. Ran wires for B&M converter lockup control. Installing trans tomorrow.

MUDDUCK

New shocks! Wow what an improvement! Tough County Hydraulic SX6000, all four plus shipping.....$160.25 found them online, SD Truck Springs.

Got done, drove home in the snow, turned on wipers and used some wiper fluid......now the fluid wont stop pumping....GGRRRRR. I already searched and found the trouble shooting tips, I'll mess with that tomorrow:|

MUDDUCK

Did the doghead starter relay modification

I don't know what came over me, but I did it:-D It was 25 outside and only 38 in my garage:confused: I printed out the directions and pictures provided on SS and dove in. Also replaced the two fuses next to the relay with the CUCV Electric 80 amp. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple a fix this was. I had been putting it off. Fired right up when I was done! Thanks doghead!

Also replaced a headlight and silenced an annoying spring rattle under the passenger seat.:idea:

Fiddled with the wiper fluid pump, seems to have fixed itself......maybe just stuck from the cold.

Attachments

wayne pick

Installed my rebuilt 700r4 today. I did most of the install work myself, only needing help wresteling the bolder like np205 in place. Skinned a few knuckles and skulled myself a little but in the end it all worked out. Thanks to A&A transmission of thornwood NY for a custom heavy duty rebuild. also thanks to Ronny Sr and Jr at luposello's garage, Croton On Hudson NY for giving me a lift to use on a usually busy Friday. My truck shifts great now with no issues.:)

jets1959

Installed my rebuilt 700r4 today. I did most of the install work myself, only needing help wresteling the bolder like np205 in place. Skinned a few knuckles and skulled myself a little but in the end it all worked out. Thanks to A&A transmission of thornwood NY for a custom heavy duty rebuild. also thanks to Ronny Sr and Jr at luposello's garage, Croton On Hudson NY for giving me a lift to use on a usually busy Friday. My truck shifts great now with no issues.:)
Glad everything worked out for you.fat lady sings

HoJoPo

M1010 Fuel door installed

I picked up an aluminum fuel door kit off of Amazon, and got around to installing it today, after approx 10 gallons of fuel walked off (darned thieves!) :(

Still need to find a better locking solution than the dzus fastener that came with the kit... may have to install a hasp and small padlock.

Some assembly required on the kit, had to drill out the hinge (it shipped with a chunk of solid aluminum hinge, no holes ) and pop rivet the hinge and latch assemblies together. Fortunately I had the right pop rivets. :)

I was short one of the self drilling / self tapping screws, I'll have to pick up some more the next time I'm at OSH.

Has anyone found a locking gas cap for the CUCV? I might take it down to NAPA and see if they can match it....

Attachments

HoJoPo

Yeah, I know what you mean, the 700r4 was a great improvement for my M1010. Pulls away quicker, shifts smoother (my TH400 shifted HARD), and it's low geared enough that it will break both tires loose if I mash on it. :)

Being able to hold a conversation while driving 70MPH down the freeway is a good thing too...

edpdx

I just received my Grill Cover for the Blazer from Jatonka. Dennis included some instructions and it looks to be a breeze to install. I'll post when I do... too rainy out at the moment. Also just got a gallon of Opti-Lube XPD for diesels. I hope it's all it is cracked up to be.

UPDATED with pics.

m1009grille1.jpg

m1009grille2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks