• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah_Johnson

Flex plate & starter repair M1009 6.2

I was driving my Blazer to other day and went to the store, when I came back & went to start and got this loud grinding noise. I had had this problem years ago on a SBC starter and or flex plate problem. It finally started and when I got it home I removed the bottom trans cover and found some bad teeth on the flex plate . I PMed Doghead and found out where to get correct flex plate ( Ebay) and now getting around to installing it . Also found out my started bolt , that supports the back of starter broken but brace still there . I got flex plate on and ever thing bolted back together going to do some needed repairs on starter . I do need to no where to get a replacement bendix before I put starter back on.

Attachments

epartsman

epartsman

I was driving my Blazer to other day and went to the store, when I came back & went to start and got this loud grinding noise. I had had this problem years ago on a SBC starter and or flex plate problem. It finally started and when I got it home I removed the bottom trans cover and found some bad teeth on the flex plate . I PMed Doghead and found out where to get correct flex plate ( Ebay) and now getting around to installing it . Also found out my started bolt , that supports the back of starter broken but brace still there . I got flex plate on and ever thing bolted back together going to do some needed repairs on starter . I do need to no where to get a replacement bendix before I put starter back on.
Jeremiah forget rebuilding that starter as it is a problem waiting to happen again.

Get the new gear reduction starter from DB Electrical it is availabe on *Bay for $108.00 which includes shipping. There is no core charge and it comes with a 1 year no hassle warranty. I love mine it turns over so much easier and starts faster using less power.
You will also need a new bracket GM 23502557 - Starter Bracket - new style Gear Reduction starter

chief1983

A local shadetree mechanic found that the right flex plate seemed to be from a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 6.2 and the Turbo 400 when he had to hunt down the right part for me. Nothing listed for a civvy Blazer was the right part.

wayne pick

700R4 rebuild

I got my trans back from the rebuilder today, $977.00 in parts, $760.00 in labor.aua All HD internals. Fabed up mounts and lines for Derale external cooler and remote spin on filter. Ran wires for B&M converter lockup control. Installing trans tomorrow.

MUDDUCK

New shocks! Wow what an improvement! Tough County Hydraulic SX6000, all four plus shipping.....$160.25 found them online, SD Truck Springs.

Got done, drove home in the snow, turned on wipers and used some wiper fluid......now the fluid wont stop pumping....GGRRRRR. I already searched and found the trouble shooting tips, I'll mess with that tomorrow:|

MUDDUCK

Did the doghead starter relay modification

I don't know what came over me, but I did it:-D It was 25 outside and only 38 in my garage:confused: I printed out the directions and pictures provided on SS and dove in. Also replaced the two fuses next to the relay with the CUCV Electric 80 amp. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple a fix this was. I had been putting it off. Fired right up when I was done! Thanks doghead!

Also replaced a headlight and silenced an annoying spring rattle under the passenger seat.:idea:

Fiddled with the wiper fluid pump, seems to have fixed itself......maybe just stuck from the cold.

Attachments

wayne pick

Installed my rebuilt 700r4 today. I did most of the install work myself, only needing help wresteling the bolder like np205 in place. Skinned a few knuckles and skulled myself a little but in the end it all worked out. Thanks to A&A transmission of thornwood NY for a custom heavy duty rebuild. also thanks to Ronny Sr and Jr at luposello's garage, Croton On Hudson NY for giving me a lift to use on a usually busy Friday. My truck shifts great now with no issues.:)

jets1959

Installed my rebuilt 700r4 today. I did most of the install work myself, only needing help wresteling the bolder like np205 in place. Skinned a few knuckles and skulled myself a little but in the end it all worked out. Thanks to A&A transmission of thornwood NY for a custom heavy duty rebuild. also thanks to Ronny Sr and Jr at luposello's garage, Croton On Hudson NY for giving me a lift to use on a usually busy Friday. My truck shifts great now with no issues.:)
Glad everything worked out for you.fat lady sings

HoJoPo

M1010 Fuel door installed

I picked up an aluminum fuel door kit off of Amazon, and got around to installing it today, after approx 10 gallons of fuel walked off (darned thieves!) :(

Still need to find a better locking solution than the dzus fastener that came with the kit... may have to install a hasp and small padlock.

Some assembly required on the kit, had to drill out the hinge (it shipped with a chunk of solid aluminum hinge, no holes ) and pop rivet the hinge and latch assemblies together. Fortunately I had the right pop rivets. :)

I was short one of the self drilling / self tapping screws, I'll have to pick up some more the next time I'm at OSH.

Has anyone found a locking gas cap for the CUCV? I might take it down to NAPA and see if they can match it....

Attachments

HoJoPo

Yeah, I know what you mean, the 700r4 was a great improvement for my M1010. Pulls away quicker, shifts smoother (my TH400 shifted HARD), and it's low geared enough that it will break both tires loose if I mash on it. :)

Being able to hold a conversation while driving 70MPH down the freeway is a good thing too...

edpdx

I just received my Grill Cover for the Blazer from Jatonka. Dennis included some instructions and it looks to be a breeze to install. I'll post when I do... too rainy out at the moment. Also just got a gallon of Opti-Lube XPD for diesels. I hope it's all it is cracked up to be.

UPDATED with pics.

m1009grille1.jpg

m1009grille2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.