• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeoliveira74

Installed new led fog lights holy brightness and I Installed some new ac60g today cause all of my glow plugs were bad. Had to leave one in its swolen and wont come out need to get the removal tool...

Anubis8472

New U-joints on the rear DS.
Just in time IMO .. they were still 'good', still had grease in them, but a couple caps on each joint had some rust coloring in the rollers.

Cleaned out the fuel return check valve on the IP.
Wasn't 'bad' but it wasn't 'clear' either, now it is.

New rear pinion seal.
She was leaking pretty good.
Pinion itself has zero play side to side up/down.
I was afraid a leaking seal could mean the bearings were going.

Broke my breaker bar on the pinion nut, sheared one side of the bar's 'fork' right off. Left some skin on the leaf springs as a result. Had to resort to the impact to remove it.

Oil/filter changed. Found zero metalic particles on the oil pan magnet. Oil was flawless (for a diesel due for change). I half expected to find a lot of metal in it as I'm trying to track down a faint 'grinding' noise. I usually only hear it when the engine is warm and at idle, seems to be coming from rear of engine/front of trans. Now I'm thinking maybe trans pump bearings.

Ordered a bunch of parts for future work...
Axle bearings/seals all the way round, the rest of the U-joints, main seal etc.

jets1959

Changed the oil and am now running my first tank of 75% desiel and 25% waste motor oil. Was waiting for warmer weather. Will let everyone know how it runs. Had to change my rear pinion seal last year because GL tweaked it when they made the drive shaft into a pretzel.:beer:

Went to Salvage yard... picked up a replacement for the replacement Steering column... got the key changed out.. cleaned, and painted... hopefully have it in tomorrow...

done a quick shake down on all the new Steering components, Noticed the hydro ram is bottoming out a bit when turned to the right... Will need to make a few more turns on Helm joints to shift itto the left abit more , to stop it from pushing past lock.. and have to relocate wires for front Locker and Diff vent tube hose .... Just a hair too close to Hydro Ram for my taste.... While i move those, I will be slipping on some Duraflex hose lining for abrasion protection.

Checked /fill all fluids... both Diffs low from recent seal changes.. Everything looked great... Looking forward to the weekend... Headed to Wheelin in the Country...:jumpin:

True Knight

Hey True Knight - what kind a gauge action you got going on there? :popcorn:
Looks well done! Replace some of the lights on the left and is that a tach on the right where the volt meter was? Nicely done!
Yeah way better than stock not knowin what the heck is going on! I've got a pyrometer on the left, water temp and tach (white) right top, and oil and the military volt gauge on bottom right. Someday I'll get better gauges when I make my own dash.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335327242.949676.jpg

SPCWarning

Paint Job, Tagged, and inspected

Finally got around to painting Butterbean a darker green. Close to CARC green, I formulated my own color from one light green and a dark green.
Got my Antique Liscense Plate on, got it inspected today and painted it today. Next move will be new tires and painting the interior.

Attachments

rwoods

I reinstalled the Flowmasters that previous owner had replaced with straight pipes. It doesn't sounds as cool, but it is certainly more enjoyable to drive. Ron

DanR7985

Finished putting Chassis Saver on my new 31 gallon tank, put it on my Dana 44 knuckles and caliper brackets. I bought the matched set Dana 44/Dana60 with 4.56 gearing back before I knew much about axles(not saying I know a lot now, just more) I just started tearing into it today and found out it was closed knuckle(still new at this)

If you were me would you buy another Dana 44 and put the 4.56 gears from the old Dana 44 in it? Or would you keep the 10 bolt in the front and re-gear it to match the 4.56. I inspected the ring and pinion on the Dana 44, and it looks 98% brand new.

One involves buying an axle and having extra gears that I could keep or sell and selling the closed knuckle axle, the other involves just buying gears as I already have all the parts to convert the 10 bolt from 6 to 8 lug(bought it for the Dana 44 before I knew about the knuckles, and knuckles out interchange). I'm at a loss on this one. I am leaning towards getting another axle because I want to put an Aussie Locker in, and they do not make one for the 10 bolt. There are a lot of 4.10 Dana 44's out there so I even thought about putting 4.10 in the Dana 60.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

jets1959

Finished installing my roof rack, aux. light, roof fans and my large pvc tube container. Paint didn't stick very well to the stainless steel covers on the roof fans. I will have to get them powder coated. Still need to wire up the aux. light. Now the box has both heating and some cooling.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around to painting Butterbean a darker green. Close to CARC green, I formulated my own color from one light green and a dark green.
Got my Antique Liscense Plate on, got it inspected today and painted it today. Next move will be new tires and painting the interior.
What type and color paint did you use? Thanks, looks good!

Danger Ranger

Finished putting Chassis Saver on my new 31 gallon tank, put it on my Dana 44 knuckles and caliper brackets. I bought the matched set Dana 44/Dana60 with 4.56 gearing back before I knew much about axles(not saying I know a lot now, just more) I just started tearing into it today and found out it was closed knuckle(still new at this)

If you were me would you buy another Dana 44 and put the 4.56 gears from the old Dana 44 in it? Or would you keep the 10 bolt in the front and re-gear it to match the 4.56. I inspected the ring and pinion on the Dana 44, and it looks 98% brand new.

One involves buying an axle and having extra gears that I could keep or sell and selling the closed knuckle axle, the other involves just buying gears as I already have all the parts to convert the 10 bolt from 6 to 8 lug(bought it for the Dana 44 before I knew about the knuckles, and knuckles out interchange). I'm at a loss on this one. I am leaning towards getting another axle because I want to put an Aussie Locker in, and they do not make one for the 10 bolt. There are a lot of 4.10 Dana 44's out there so I even thought about putting 4.10 in the Dana 60.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated
I would go for another axle, as gears are expensive and, I like to start over anyways... Its your truck, do what you want.

Finished installing my roof rack, aux. light, roof fans and my large pvc tube container. Paint didn't stick very well to the stainless steel covers on the roof fans. I will have to get them powder coated. Still need to wire up the aux. light. Now the box has both heating and some cooling.
What is the tube container for? I really like that truck, nice job.

Danger Ranger

:shock: Stretcher??? now I am worried...you planning on taking a nap on the side of the road or something? I suppose it would be nice hung between a tractor tire and the top of the truck...:beer:

MtnTamr

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.... Get that locker you want, whatever it takes. Are all Dana 44 gears interchangable? Good luck!

Jeremiah_Johnson

Getting ready for new paint job

Took two days this weekend to do body work for new paint job .I am doing the home Depo 383 char house paint , the color looks to be spot on . Will no more when applied hope for the best as this will be my 1st ever paint job .. my way of thinking How bad can I mess up a camo paint job ?? a few pictures attached

Attachments

Well after a good day of trailing riding.. this happened.... and I didnt carry spare... gonna go with thicker tube this time around... Will be a cheap fix.... but it looks as my friend will have to replace leaf springs on his though....

videos to be posted soon....

Attachments

psscuba

Back on the road!

A couple of months ago I was trying to help a "friend" earn some money and asked him to replace the front main seal and the harmonic balancer, while I was hunting for the week. (He is a certified mechanic). Anyway, when I got back he had used my M1008 as his personal truck, ran it out of fuel, drained the batteries trying to start it with no fuel, then left it at the Value Village parking lot, where it had died. I had to call his son to figure out what he had done, and where my truck was.
I called my cousin and we towed it home, where I spent the next couple of weekends replacing the batteries, doing the "Doghead mod" (since the module no longer worked). I replaced a couple of other electronic modules, purged the fuel system, and almost got it started when the starter broke.
So, last weekend I replaced the starter, and with a friends help got it started again. It turns over and starts like it was new. I took it out for a drive, and didn't want to park it.
This weekend I added a light over the license plate (per orders from the State Patrol during last weeks drive, lol), mounted a couple of flood lights to the rear bumper.
Next is a stereo, lift kit and figuring out how to get a winch mounted on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks