• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoPlowboy

Added custom wheel spacers to rear, and went junkyard diving yesterday and bought a VERY nice passenger door to replaced the patented GL forklift damaged door!:roll:
I really like your spacers, did you make these and would you sell them? What was the purpose of the narrowed rear axle?

67_C-30

Well, I made them at work on my lunch break, kinda on the down low, if you know what I mean. If I can find another chunk of 4 1/2" scrap laying, I may be able to make some more of the centers. It requires modifying the spacer too, so it would just be something I'd have to work in when I can. I really can't commit to making them because of this. I need my own lathe in my shop so bad!!!

Friar Mycgyver

I am rebuilding the bottom end of the motor. Harmonic balancer went bad and took the keyway with it. Lots of new parts. Crankshaft and bearings, oil pump, timing chain and gears, block heater, freeze plugs, water pump. Bought the truck for $100. I have got $550 in parts and about 40 hours in time. Motors back together and ready to go back in the truck next weekend.

willey10

I changed all the fluids,rotated tires,all new exhaust. sprayed the underside with preservative oil. Thankfully have a lift and warm garage (-5.5 temp this morning 1/18/11 in Maine)

Hal O'Peridol

Called AAA to tow it home. Freeze plug went out on the highway.

I was cruising to work tonight and after about 8 minutes thought......where's my heat??

Pulled off at the next exit, just in time as the overheat light flickered on, shut it down, no coolant in radiator, drippng from up above starter.

chevymike

I have been going through systems and getting them up to snuff. Today was an oil and filter change. Drained the coolant (very old) and removed all the cooling hoses. Flushed the block, radiator and heater core. Also swapped in my new starter bolts. Tomorrow will put all the hoses on and fill with Catipillar ELC coolant. Once that's all done, next will be the diffs, trans and transfer case. A good going over with a grease gun and I think all the major systems will be done for a while.

junkridge

I am rebuilding the bottom end of the motor. Harmonic balancer went bad and took the keyway with it. Lots of new parts. Crankshaft and bearings, oil pump, timing chain and gears, block heater, freeze plugs, water pump. Bought the truck for $100. I have got $550 in parts and about 40 hours in time. Motors back together and ready to go back in the truck next weekend.

Did you find it hard to remove timing chain cover?? I have spent over 1 hour trying to get it off! I got the 4 10mm bolts off from bottom of pan and the remaining 4 15mm bolts in cover off also the 2 bolts and 1 nut 15mm behind injection pump gear, IP off etc.... what am I missing here.. I have beat with a dead blow and wood thinking it must be hung on some dowel pins...:hammer:

twa@ezdn.net

Finished my 4" lift and got my 35x12.5x15 MTR's on yesterday. Doghead starter relay in last friday. I like the ride so far but the looks of the big tires will take some getting use to. I will try to get some pics on today.

1985 M1009
M101a2

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has the NP205 T-case. I removed the tailshaft and installed a older style with the yoke bolted to the shaft. I had a new driveshaft made, with the stub and slip yoke to replace the forklift dented one. Next the pinion bearings.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot where I left off so here's the list: (Pictures to follow)
Replaced Left front turn signal
Replaced pintle assembly (still looking for the long piece that goes across the frame)
Replaced glow plugs
Replaced the block heater
Replacd the bridge weight plate (thank you Military Stencils!)
Replaced the fuel can and mount in the back
Tested the STE/ICE-R, works great
Replaced Front drive shaft (was missing)
Replaced Radio Mount
Replaced the tires (need to find a spare rim)

To do list in the immediate future (once it gets above 40 degrees again):
Replace all coolant hoses
Replace Rear view mirror (got one...too cold to mount)
Replace stab bushings
And more as I find broke stuff.....

Last edited:

Utah CUCV

New radiator
new fuel filter base
$1300 in Toyo tires
new belts
new radiator hoses
new heater hoses
ordered new glow plugs (only 3 working)
converted glow plug relay to 12 volts

Future:
Herculiner in bed and cab
Fix tanny leak
Fix power steering leak
Up gear ratio in axels so I can go 65 mph on freeway
Keep having fun

Last edited:

DXTAC

Took the plunge and changed over to a spin on fuel filter and I'm REALLY glad I did. I didn't do this as a performance mod but it gave the truck a nice bump in performance. The old OEM filter must have been pretty nasty! Also discovered that what I thought was a valve cover leak was most likely a seeping fuel filter. Have to turn the idle down a bit now as well.

Also discovered that the PS alternator seems to be bad. Anyone know where to get an alternator??? PM me as I'd like to do this sooner than later.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks