• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

Cool vids Rob.
Thank you. Next saturday, I am going to an offroad event.
Will take pictures and my buddy will also shoot some vids.

The guy still has problems with his UFS (Upright Filming Syndrome), but we are working on that. :wink:

After the event, it is time to change airfilter, oil + filter, ATF + filter, and to check the transfercase level and diff oils.
Some say change every year, others skip one year. I abuse the M1028 sometime and drive a lot. Also some trailer and cargo hauling.
And the fuel consumption stays fairly decent: 1 litre per 6.5 km, that is about 24.6 (s)miles to the gallon (if my calculations are correct).
This at a maximum speed of 84-85 km/h or 52-53 mp/h (max speed for trucks here).

SgtHaas

I pulled this from the wiki.
"An Autozone part number for the DRIVER side alternator is DL7157 (also found in a 1975 Cady with a V8 engine). This alternator is 78 amps and works just fine."

You could do that until you get your other one going.
Hope this helps somehow
Well got the alternator in. But the pulley on the new one was a 1/4 smaller than the old one. Couldn't get the old one off so I ended up drilling out the mount to offset the tension on the belt. Pain in the ass... but hey its a MV so why would it be easy... lol

SgtHaas

If it's smaller, will it spin faster, thus charge faster?
It should, but it is not charging a higher voltage (reads 13.4, used to read 14.7) the volt meter on the dash is just barley in the green. But the Gen 1 light is now off so that is good too.

It's always something. ... any ideas for nicknames for a vehicle always needing something?

Another Ahab

It should, but it is not charging a higher voltage (reads 13.4, used to read 14.7) the volt meter on the dash is just barley in the green. But the Gen 1 light is now off so that is good too.

It's always something. ... any ideas for nicknames for a vehicle always needing something?
The people I have known like that I have always called "Sweetheart" :mrgreen:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter

How about "Kid" for a name? Or "Honey"?

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Friday afternoon, I jumped in my truck to head out for lunch from work. On the way there, the A/C compressor bearings seized, causing the belt to heat up and explode. Gates belts are tough, but they are no match for a completely locked compressor. It took out the alternator belt, and they both wrapped around the fan clutch, which caused the clutch to stop spinning. The power steering belt stopped spinning the pump. I lost control of the truck and couldn't stop it and had a hard time steering it. All I had was throttle control. I ended up travelling southbound in the northbound lanes of a divided 4 lane road with a median filled with tall trees. I wrestled the truck into the median into a paved left turn area and shut the engine down to figure out what happened. Thankfully I didn't get hit by an oncoming car. I cut the belts free. I got the truck running but was afraid to shut it down. I didn't want to burn out the batteries because the alternator had no belt. I got it home safely. It took me over 2 hours to stop shaking. I'd have been in really rough shape had the belts exploded on one of the two major 6 lane divided roads I use to get to work. I was afraid the power steering belt was damaged. Thankfully it wasn’t. I installed a new alternator belt on the M1009 Saturday morning and got it running again.

CUCVLOVER

Friday afternoon, I jumped in my truck to head out for lunch from work. On the way there, the A/C compressor bearings seized, causing the belt to heat up and explode. Gates belts are tough, but they are no match for a completely locked compressor. It took out the alternator belt, and they both wrapped around the fan clutch, which caused the clutch to stop spinning. The power steering belt stopped spinning the pump. I lost control of the truck and couldn't stop it and had a hard time steering it. All I had was throttle control. I ended up travelling southbound in the northbound lanes of a divided 4 lane road with a median filled with tall trees. I wrestled the truck into the median into a paved left turn area and shut the engine down to figure out what happened. Thankfully I didn't get hit by an oncoming car. I cut the belts free. I got the truck running but was afraid to shut it down. I didn't want to burn out the batteries because the alternator had no belt. I got it home safely. It took me over 2 hours to stop shaking. I'd have been in really rough shape had the belts exploded on one of the two major 6 lane divided roads I use to get to work. I was afraid the power steering belt was damaged. Thankfully it wasn’t. I installed a new alternator belt on the M1009 Saturday morning and got it running again.
Wow. Thats one way to get the afternoon off from work.
Just kidding, glad you are OK.
It's a good thing they have brown seats. So I guess your cucv is 12?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Glad that you are alright! Was the A/C compressor an "add on"? Why no brakes? No emergency brake either? Again, very glad no one was hurt!

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck was converted to 12 volt, and an HR-6 compressor was installed in the place of the driver's side alternator. The emergency brakes work fine, but I didn't want to stop the truck in the northbound lanes facing southbound. The belts locked up the fan clutch soon after I made the turn onto the divided road. When I lost steering, I pointed the truck towards the first paved median in the road with the intent of stopping there. When my foot went to the floor, I felt the only option was to get the heck out of the direct line of fire and get to either the correct side of the road or to the middle of it. I limped the truck a block down the next paved area, and managed to get enough brake pedal to stop it and shut it down.

I stopped back at my building to run in and send a quick email to my supervisor with a quick summary of the events. I headed straight home so I wouldn't end up in rush hour traffic in an out of control vehicle.

CUCVLOVER - By sheer coincidence I wore my dark brown Propper BDU pants to work on Friday!!! :shock: :eek:

I used the rest of Friday afternoon wisely. I called AAA and waited for a flatbed to show up and haul my Police Interceptor to a shop so they can replace the intake manifold. The flatbed driver didn't know where the shop was. The only vehicle I had running without any problems was my 1930 Ford Model A! My wife had the Tahoe, and the Mighty Mite still needs some love. Picture this - my Model A (my avatar) leading a flatbed wrecker, with a black CVPI sitting on it, through 15 miles of twisting turning roads to the shop. I give lots of credit to the wrecker driver. He never tailgated me, and gave me plenty of room to stop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks