• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg002.jpgToday I went into full production on inner fenders and battery trays. I wire wheeled all 8 of the battery trays and did some repairs on a few of them to add strength. Then I washed them all down and under coated them real good. I have Mr, Rusty , Mr Crusty , Jersey Indian004.jpg and the Easter find M1008.

RobM36A2

Had a blast today, Went to a 4x4 event.
Have some pics of the M1028 on a bridge and dirt road and the 2 routes I drove.
They will follow later this weekend.

Also had an argument at the event, They said I could only do 1 route, because it would take to long to do 2.
Had the short route (78km) and the guy at the desk said, it would take up to 4 hours to complete. I did it in 3.
The main reason was because of the playgrounds in the route. They were very crowded and tight. Mainly created for the small Suzuki 4x4's..
After route 1, I wanted to trade my route for the other longer one. Now there were 2 girls at the desk, totally not interested and saying no more outgoing 4x4's and some bull about 1 route per 4x4 per day. The main reason was the playgrounds close at 17:00, the reason I mentioned earlier (I skip the playgrounds) was not good enough to give me another route.
I mean, come on, start at 11:00, come back at 14:00 and the only thing possible is a small 4x4 track on-site.. I paid €50 for this event..
So I went to complain at the organisation and managed to get a short sightseeing route of 50km to drive.
Not quite what I wanted, but hey, it was better than nothing.

I could go back tomorrow, but I don't feel like paying another €50, this time for the 110km route.
Plus my back hurts from all the bouncing around in the cab.

gottaluvit

View attachment 586937View attachment 586938View attachment 586939View attachment 586940View attachment 586941View attachment 586942View attachment 586938Today I went into full production on inner fenders and battery trays. I wire wheeled all 8 of the battery trays and did some repairs on a few of them to add strength. Then I washed them all down and under coated them real good. I have Mr, Rusty , Mr Crusty , Jersey IndianView attachment 586949 and the Easter find M1008.
Looks like a job I will be into soon. I had no idea my inners were so weak and put my foot on it (like I have done with my civy models for decades) and oops. Darn thing let loose. Lucky it was driver's side and not battery side. Also good thing I had a ratchet strap behind the seat to hold it up enough to get me home and get me by til I replace it (them).

gottaluvit

Had a blast today, Went to a 4x4 event.
Have some pics of the M1028 on a bridge and dirt road and the 2 routes I drove.
They will follow later this weekend.

Also had an argument at the event, They said I could only do 1 route, because it would take to long to do 2.
Had the short route (78km) and the guy at the desk said, it would take up to 4 hours to complete. I did it in 3.
The main reason was because of the playgrounds in the route. They were very crowded and tight. Mainly created for the small Suzuki 4x4's..
After route 1, I wanted to trade my route for the other longer one. Now there were 2 girls at the desk, totally not interested and saying no more outgoing 4x4's and some bull about 1 route per 4x4 per day. The main reason was the playgrounds close at 17:00, the reason I mentioned earlier (I skip the playgrounds) was not good enough to give me another route.
I mean, come on, start at 11:00, come back at 14:00 and the only thing possible is a small 4x4 track on-site.. I paid €50 for this event..
So I went to complain at the organisation and managed to get a short sightseeing route of 50km to drive.
Not quite what I wanted, but hey, it was better than nothing.

I could go back tomorrow, but I don't feel like paying another €50, this time for the 110km route.
Plus my back hurts from all the bouncing around in the cab.
Still sounds like a good time!

rsh4364

Got the solargizer installed on the 86 1009 works well.Started working on 85 1009 dropped fuel tank,gonna replace with new tank,31 gallon.New lift pump,new filters,and new IP.Shes also getting new radiator,crank dampner and new hoses.The 85 has 200k miles so its time for some fixes.Its so rusty not sure if its worth fixing body.The 85 is also getting converted to 12v.Just because Im saving 24v parts for the 86 1009.It will be nice to compare 12v to 24v also.

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

Before I say, sorry no pics, my hands were way too oily to take any.

Had a tranny leak in the M1009, in the shape of an "L", which I thought was interesting. I noticed the leak for some time but in the past week or so, it had been getting a lot worse, loosing maybe 1/4 ounce of fluid or so (by the looks of what was on the ground) every time I parked.
I took a peek under the truck and saw that it looked like it was coming from the transfer case.

Good thing I started to work on it this weekend.
While checking everything else out, I found that 5 of the 6 bolts that hold the transfer case to the tranny were loose, 1 was only in by 2-3 threads, the others were at some degree of hand-tight.
The leak was coming from where the 2 halves of the transfer case meet, it just appeared that the silicone gasket had finally given way. The same with the tail cone where it meets the back half of the transfer case.

Took everything off, cleaned the 10 pounds of caked on oil/grease/dirt from the last 30 years reassembled the case and tail and so far, no more leaks.
I'll be driving it a bunch tomorrow just to make sure.
If there are any more leaks, at least from the back half of the case, they should be easy to see, now that everything is clean.

Just so everyone knows and has the same issue, I did this all in truck leaving the transfer case attached to the tranny, so it can be done fairly easily if you don't want to take the entire transfer case out. Now if it is a leak in the front portion, you have no choice but to pull it out, sorry.

True Knight

Just so everyone knows and has the same issue, I did this all in truck leaving the transfer case attached to the tranny, so it can be done fairly easily if you don't want to take the entire transfer case out. Now if it is a leak in the front portion, you have no choice but to pull it out, sorry.
I had the same issue. If I remember correctly, the front part of the transfer case mount that bolts to the rear of the transmission is a rubber o-ring gasket, and the rear where it bolts to the transfer case is a paper type gasket. It was hard to find but a local transmission shop had one for $8. When putting it back together I used lock washers on all the bolts to keep them from loosening up again. All the bolts had more than enough thread length to accommodate the lock washers.

RobM36A2

Some pictures taken on the main event offroad course.

the 2 routes, 78 and 50 km: The missing piece in the 2nd route is because this was in Belgium, where I had no data.
Route-2015-1.jpg Route-2015-2.jpg

Some pics by photographer on site:
Offroad-Budel2015-1.jpg Offroad-Budel2015-2.jpg Offroad-Budel2015-4.jpg Offroad-Budel2015-7.jpg Offroad-Budel2015-8.jpg

Last edited:

Keith_J

After 12000 miles, I finally changed the fuel filter. Instead of cranking the engine, I put the mitt vac pump to the bleeding port and pulled until I had fuel. Started right up.

The old filter was full of sediment. Probably from the 4 gallons of waste motor oil I used over those miles to add lubrication to the injection pump.

gottaluvit

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 12000 miles, I finally changed the fuel filter. Instead of cranking the engine, I put the mitt vac pump to the bleeding port and pulled until I had fuel. Started right up.

The old filter was full of sediment. Probably from the 4 gallons of waste motor oil I used over those miles to add lubrication to the injection pump.
Using 2 stroke oil might be better to lubricate the injection pump, it is designed for the combustion, engine oil doesn't.

CUCVLOVER

I have used that additive before, it seems like a decent additive.
One thing I liked is that the company that built the fuel injection pump and filter system should know what it needs to help it as the parts get older.

Also I hate to do it but its stanadyne not stanOdyne, as far as I know anyway, hehehehehe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks