• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

jgordon1307

took the doors off just for the summer, nice n breezy, added a bike n trailer, probably added some other stuff since the last post, yall tell me994568_10201879486056900_283355189_n.jpg

SRB1976

I've done quite a bit this summer. New glow plugs, block heater, rear main seal, pan gasket and bypassed the engine oil cooler lines. Even after all that work the M1009 still leaks oilaua

K9Vic

I had to get this work done today, my Suburban needs to be running for something this weekend, so I got my spin on filter installed and fixed my power steering pump. After that it all went in fine and both parts are working great. For the filter I had to used some large nuts to gap it away from the firewall and just clears, but I think I will add a few washers as my A/C cover is what is close. My OEM filter base was leaking at the top bleed valve and I could not fix it. That seems to be part of why my fuel mileage just sucked at like 12-14mpg.

NAPA fuel filter base, pt#4309
WIX fuel filter/water separator pt#33123
Misc parts to instal it, see this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?36435-My-CUCV-spin-on-fuel-filter-mod
Exact same filter base as Pawnshop.

52208012.jpgIMG_9798.jpg

The power steering pump is the build in reservoir type that is on the CUCV, the civilian uses external reservoir. The built in one is better and was available.

IMG_9797.jpg

So my Suburban is ready for this weekend, everyone have a fun and safe Labor Day weekend!
IMG_9787.jpg

86k5

Replaced the speedo cable, changed the oil, and cleaned the windows in the m1009.
Replaced the speedo cable...
Did u do this because it was squeaking?
I ask because mine squeaks bad at slower speeds. I've tried graphite and WD-40 to the back of it where it comes into the speedo. Neither seem to work.
maybe I need to just replace the whole cable as well

chevyguy1976

Hey 86k5 nice looking 1009 in your avatar. Mine was making the death grind and was shaking/twitching at all speeds, then just stopped working. There were two listed at the orielly's. Both for a 1984 6.2 K5. They had none for the 86, but since parts wise these are 84's I went with the shorter one cause it was cheaper. That went back and got traded for the longer one, I think it was around $15. Seems to work now

86k5

Hey 86k5 nice looking 1009 in your avatar. Mine was making the death grind and was shaking/twitching at all speeds, then just stopped working. There were two listed at the orielly's. Both for a 1984 6.2 K5. They had none for the 86, but since parts wise these are 84's I went with the shorter one cause it was cheaper. That went back and got traded for the longer one, I think it was around $15. Seems to work now
Hey thanks. I've done alot to it since that avatar picture. sounds like my cable is about to crap out on me then. I'll keep my eyes open for one. Thanks for the info.

image.jpg
Wondered why I wasn't stopping like I should. Crawled under and found a severed line in the height sensitive proportioning valve jumper over the rear axle. Eh, just bypassed that whole mess. M1031's are usually a lot heavier than other CUCV's, so 100% breaking can't be a bad thing.

MilChevyguy

Couldn't hang on anymore...had the box removed and prepping truck to be a lightweight!!!

Had to do it, its a shame really, but the darn thing doesnt fit anywhere with the box on it.....BTW looks like it will be parted out
in the classifieds if anyone is interested in anything.

Have to work on a fuel leak this weekend (don't know from where, but back of engine somewhere)
and either replace 24V starter, or rebuild it, and check flywheel for damage.

Last edited:

I_Publius

New wiring: new battery cables and license plate lighting
Registered and INSPECTED! She passed with flying colors!!
Have driven her about 5 miles. Got her up to 65. No real problems that a good set of tires wouldnt cure. :)

She's getting there. Now it's time to start making her look pretty with a new dash.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks