• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

True Knight

Got the front end back together over the weekend. The original u-joints were freezing up, so they got replaced. While I had it apart I replaced all the seals and the spindle and wheel bearings. Next up is the front upper shackle hanger kit, longer shackles and new spring bushings.

True Knight

Got the FUSH kit all installed and new spring bushings in the front too. Just a few more things to finish up in order to make it to the 4 wheel parts customer appreciation run in Gorman on sun.

Baer

Run? I'll be happy when I get mine to start. Got a new starter. Now to climb under and do the actual work. BUT incase it's the batteries just not putting out enough juice, goes anyone suggestions on where to get them in central California (I know I need to move).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interstate Battery "usually" sells Group 31 remans for less than $50 ea.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few months ago I picked up a 1991 Chevy 3/4T GSA truck for scrap price. Yesterday I pulled the replacement mechanical IP 6.5L and 4L80E w/PCM, saved a few parts for Barrman and will scrap the rest. Oh yes, transfered the full tank of diesel to my holding tanks. :mrgreen:

6.5L.jpgH3201.jpg

Last edited:

wrex

True Knight

Actually, it will probably outlast the muffler. It's basically the same material as that aluminum tape they sell at Autozone for repairs. I just got 45 more yards of it at Home Depot for the same price, is all.

Technically, it's called Foil Tape and such. I just wanted to see how you guys would react when I said Duct Tape :p

Example:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...0-yds-Aluminum-Foil-Tape-3220020500/100030120
Oh yeah, that'll last longer than regular old duct tape! I'll have to try it one day.

MilChevyguy

Pulled all the wheels and brakes.....AWESOME...gota love government maintainance...front end checked and TIGHT.....Fluids all good!!

Just waiting for a starter fairy to drop me a lead on the starter replacement....if anyone has a rebuild kit on a shelf for direct drive 24V....PM me cost please. Seems
to be sold out so far where I checked.

Since the M1010 box is off know, this is looking to be a CUCV Tow Truck project (haven't seen one yet!!)

soldierman79

Got the heater hoses and radiator hoses replaced. Went to replace the thermostat and both bolts sheared off. Corrosion. So, made a run to a machine shop to drill them out (I don't have the tools for it).

Got everything back today and put back together this evening.

Started removing the old glow plugs and 5 of them came right out. 3 are swollen. Got some penetrating oil on them for the glow-plug-tug tomorrow evening. Yay!

I plan to have the M1009 running by the end of the month...but, we'll see. :mrgreen:

86m1028

Bought an m1031 (with reg bed) not too long ago for parts.
I started stripping it down today. I'm pulling some parts from it & scrapping the rest.
Hope to be done by Monday.

I_Publius

New Monroe shocks
Replaced radiator hoses and fluid
Replaced belts
Replaced borrowed starter and cable with rebuilt starter that i had burnt up.
Lube job on bearings and bushings
Washed for first time in 10 years
Fixed stuck seat belt by cleaning and lubricating it.
Replaced windshield wiper fluid hoses and fixed pump
Replaced wiper blades and cleaned windows
Vacuumed

Now it's time to consider rhino lining inside and replacing dashboard.

Getting close.

Anyone know why i cant add photos through Tapatalk? It tells me we cant.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

sochuck

Well replaced what had to be the driest vacuum lines I have ever seen and after a little rubbing and sanding the breather can looks awesome. Yea nothing bit but everything helps. Now if the anti-rust gnomes would be so kind to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks