• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

richingalveston

just getting some clean up done while the motor is out and easy to get to. I was surprised how well it cleaned up. There was a coat of spray paint on the bottom. I was going to clean it up and put another coat of green. It cleaned up so well, I think I will leave it like it is. The bottom of the truck when cleaned looks the same. IF it were not for GL forklifts, this truck body would have been mint condition when I got it. Not a spec of rust.
Still have some clean up on the frame not sure if I am going to worry about painting it either. I cleaned and painted the upper part and the fan box. It is the forest green Gillespie paint from RAPCO.

Attachments

rustystud

just getting some clean up done while the motor is out and easy to get to. I was surprised how well it cleaned up. There was a coat of spray paint on the bottom. I was going to clean it up and put another coat of green. It cleaned up so well, I think I will leave it like it is. The bottom of the truck when cleaned looks the same. IF it were not for GL forklifts, this truck body would have been mint condition when I got it. Not a spec of rust.
Still have some clean up on the frame not sure if I am going to worry about painting it either. I cleaned and painted the upper part and the fan box. It is the forest green Gillespie paint from RAPCO.

Your not kidding about there being no rust ! That is one nice clean truck ! I used a "steam cleaner" on mine when I replaced the engine. Then painted everything with "primer" and then flat black paint.

cucvrus

FYI. Scrap tin # 1 shredding steel is currently bringing $5.75 a 100 weight. #2 prepared, frames, rotors, leaf springs,wheels are bringing $6.75 a 100 weight. I have scrapped a lot of CUCV parts in the past 2 days. We have 60 degree weather and I have parts and scrap laying everywhere. the time is now to cash in on the scrap. A few months ago it was worthless. I have my Son helping me and we were able to up production today. I had 86 sets of inner fender aprons on my scrap pile. Some of the doors and fenders I scrapped 15 years ago. I was into some old stock and found memories that I had forgotten. Happy New Year. It is like the lottery. The price may fall or it may rise. I am going for it now with a couple big piles. I will hold out on a few. I never even checked on radiators or aluminum yet. So now what I did to my CUCV lately. I used Crown of Thorns M1009 to haul scrap for the past 2 days. And like always it performed flawlessly. It has a few dents and hoes shot thru it and it is all stock and runs perfect. Have a great day. i hope I helped someone out posting the scrap prices.

Beandip

Took it out on a rock crawling trip at Arbuckle. did pretty good and tested out the hydraulic steering through the tight trails. Its crazy how much this frame flexes. Whenever i put a cage in it I'm going to have to 4 link the rear to get the flex back lol.
31658423511_e63e7709d2_k.jpg

Ilikemtb999

Got a "new" and tight XJ shaft swapped in. Now my steering is back to being tight. Also added a hanger at the end of my exhaust to stop it from banging into the body on rough bumps.

cucvrus

Hauling Scrap again.DSCF2454.jpgDSCF2455.jpgDSCF2456.jpgDSCF2457.jpgDSCF2458.jpgDSCF2459.jpgDSCF2460.jpgDSCF2464.jpgDSCF2466.jpgDSCF2467.jpgWorked the M1009 crown of Thorns hard today. the second day in a row. Hauling scrap. 22 scrap radiators in the pile. Countless fenders, doors, bed sides, 2 complete Blazers. All gone. these are all un-serviceable parts. It's been a while since I cut fuel tanks in half. Required to scrap them. I found some nice parts in the pile. Some have been it the deep part for 10 years.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many flats did you get?

I always worry about places like that.
Small pieces of metal everywhere and tires usually don't mix well.

Our local place is horrible with flat makers everywhere

cucvrus

I have Goodyear MTR tires on my M1009's. I work at an assembly plant and drive constantly on roads that have rivet mandrel pins on them. I think if you have good thick tires with good tread that lessons the chance of getting flats. The plow trucks I drive have Goodyear Duratrac tires on with heavy tread. That helps. Also if you drive slow in these areas and observe the road in front of you. Driving fast allows the item on the road to flip up and get caught mid air against the tire and road. You can also minimize the flats by looking at tires and pulling objects out before they seat themselves thru the 10 ply tires. I often hear the clicking sound of something in the tread and get it before it goes in and seats itself. Besides I don't worry too much about flat tires. I have a tire machine and fix flat tires with patch plugs and they are as good as new. I got more flats on the highway then I did in the scrap yard or scrap areas. I had a railroad spike thru my side wall on I 81 a few years back. Interesting. It went thru and stuck in. I felt a shimmy in the front end and it was rubbing a hole in the side wall where the head has that sharp off set. I had to drive with it till I got off to a Goodyear dealer and they scrapped the tire. Expensive trip.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good info and I do the same
I run E rated Michelin's on all my trucks.
Last flat I had wasn't from metal anything.
Am in the process of clearing a section of land on my ranch. A piece of wood went right through the lower edge of the sidewall, right at the tread edge.
Plug kit fixed it right up.

I wish I had a tire machine. Would save $$ and more importantly....time.

Anyway
Good pics

cucvrus

Sad Day. I had to take the saws-all to 4 M1009 rear roofs. I just have to many of them and they are not worth anything in scrap value. With a metal blade it cuts like hot butter. You don't realize the amount of steel that is in a roof for structural support. It is a shame the entire M1009 could not have been made of fiberglass. They would have fared out better. The recycler would not take them for free and the crusher will not accept them either anymore. They deduct 500 lbs from the scrap value of each vehicle. And no more tires either. I still have 3 or setting around complete. No one wants them. I set 2 OD green fiberglass 8 ft camper caps out by the road for free. They were gone in about 2 hours. So what I done with my CUCV today was haul scrap and run out of diesel fuel. I coasted right up to the diesel pump and it started hard after refueling. When that gauge say empty it is empty. no extra room for error. But over all a very accurate fuel gauge. happy New Year to all.

Another Ahab

Sad Day. I had to take the saws-all to 4 M1009 rear roofs. I just have to many of them and they are not worth anything in scrap value. With a metal blade it cuts like hot butter. You don't realize the amount of steel that is in a roof for structural support. It is a shame the entire M1009 could not have been made of fiberglass. They would have fared out better. The recycler would not take them for free and the crusher will not accept them either anymore. They deduct 500 lbs from the scrap value of each vehicle. And no more tires either. I still have 3 or setting around complete. No one wants them.
Is that because they're fiberglass; is that the problem?

kkcshipp

Today my son and I worked on Nebulous. I cleaned the rear seat up right nice while my son took an old rear tailgate latch and drilled a hole straight through from side to side. He took an old scrap rod and inserted it from side to side then bent over the ends. That latch won't fall off again. We vacuumed it out, put the back seat back in, and tried to trace the front headlights again.

cucvrus

Is that because they're fiberglass; is that the problem?
Yes. They would not even take the vehicle with it on. I knew they did not weigh 500 lbs so I left them at home. Picky picky. I had a heck of a pile of scrap radiators. .65 LB as removed from the trucks. Heater cores were worth the most at .85 per pound. I gained another parking spot cleaning up the scrap pile. Happy New Year. Celebrating 2 years w/o a drop of alcohol.

3jumpjeep

' Man ' I know what you mean about that fuel gauge, I've been caught a couple of times with mine
I've normally refill at 1/4. Occasionally down to 1/8 when traveling, but that got me once. I-78E in PA and I knew I had plenty to make it to NJ for cheaper fuel... Except when a fatal wreck has you doing stop and go for 2 hours and covering about 7/10 mile while towing a fifth wheel camper. Got clear of traffic, but ran dry before a safe place to pull over. Thought I was gonna die while dumping a Jerry can into the tank.

I learned from that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

Yes. They would not even take the vehicle with it on. I knew they did not weigh 500 lbs so I left them at home. Picky picky. I had a heck of a pile of scrap radiators. .65 LB as removed from the trucks. Heater cores were worth the most at .85 per pound. I gained another parking spot cleaning up the scrap pile. Happy New Year. Celebrating 2 years w/o a drop of alcohol.
Good for you, cucvrus. Congratulations, and a Happy New Year back at you!

3jumpjeep

That two year mark is a good one!
I applaud your achievement. Keep going strong!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks