• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

3jumpjeep

You know them days when it don't want to start and it gets you burning mad? Lock and load. Some people have decals with bullet holes. I have real holes. Just a little extra patina. I like it. I get a lot of questions about them. Thanks for asking. It's for when unique is what you seek.
When someone asks just say, "Chicago", and nothing more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Chaski

Got all those pesky dash backlights to work, at the same time. To top it off it started 2nd try when it was -4 F (-20C) outside this morning.

Feel like celebrating.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Cold day at the YOUPULLIT yesterday. I scored a rear gate from a 1990 Chevy K5 Blazer. They would not sell the rear glass out of the gate. I had to buy the gate. I only wanted the rear glass. Basically the gate is in excellent condition and is a power gate. But the wires were cut up front and the power would not work. I crawled in and removed the access panel and the sash bolts. I worked at it about a half hour and the yard man stopped by and told me. If I took the gate apart I had to buy it. He was nice about it. But a couple other guys were there earlier and had tried to get the gate. They had given up and were leaving when I got the gate open and off the truck. They said they had cut the wiring and hot wired the window but it would not go up or down. IDK. But when I hooked my jump pack to it it was jammed in the side tracks. Normal. It has a nice dot matrix tinted glass and has no rust on the bottom and outside. Odd thing is it is rusty in the inside on the upper reinforcement. I didn't really need the gate but now I have a power gate complete. I am just going to use the window for now. I will store the gate till I see a wanted ad. K5 rear gates are far and few between. I just bought a 1990 GMC Jimmy and it has the fiberglass rear top. And GM has tamper resistant bolts holding the top on in the rear. I think it is so you do NOT remove the top. The 1990 model is a strange bird. It has shoulder harnesses and grab handles mounted to the fiberglass roof for the rear seat occupants. I think that is why it has taper resistant bots all around on the fiberglass rear roof. Even the ones going around the cab are the same torx tamper resistant.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed the truck has been dogging lately and realized it's been almost three years on the fuel filter. I've been running about four gallons of used motor oil and transmission fluid, which I suspect has been cleaning the gunk out of the fuel system. With the vacuum pump to pull the diesel into the filter the whole job took about 15 minutes and I didn't even get my hands dirty.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

rsh4364

Installed my new Trucklite LED lights in the M1009 the other day. BIG Thanks to CUCVRUS for convincing me the money is well spent and yes that money is well spent! Amazon is the cheapest place to purchase. Link is provided below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ED7HNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Crazy how well these light up the road and gives my newer cars a run for their money.
I also installed a set in place of my Hella headlights per cucvrus, they are great, and have a beam width so wide my brush guard casts a shadow. And not one person has flashed their brights at me.My older eyes love them.when it gets a little nicer out I'm going to switch them to 24v to decrease amp draw even more and replace all my bulbs with leds.

Last edited:

84Rambo

About 2 days ago my M1008 would not start. I knew it was a glow plug issue. Luckily I found this group! Today I by-passed the glow plug resistor, removed the glow plug control card, installed new glow plugs (G60s) , and installed a manual glow plug button. Works great. I've been wanting to do this for a while since another one of our 6.2 pickups on the ranch have the same manual system. Then I decided to investigate why my heater was so cold and found info about that, and plugged the gaps around the heater core. I now have air so hot that I can't hold my hand in front of the heater when the blower is on high for very long. I feel great relief this evening since I use the pick up every day and have had poor starts for the past week and cold heater air for the 5 years I have owned the rig. Thank you Steel Soldiers

cucvrus

I also installed a set in place of my Hella headlights per cucvrus, they are great, and have a beam width so wide my brush guard casts a shadow. And not one person has flashed their brights at me.My older eyes love them.when it gets a little nicer out I'm going to switch them to 24v to decrease amp draw even more and replace all my bulbs with leds.
Watch out for a flicking light. I have seen the flicker on a few. They make a plug in kit to reduce flicker. And NOT sure about the 24volt advantage. Don't seem like it would be worth the effort.

cucvrus

Northstar.jpgI installed a set of North Star Pure lead batteries in my Crown of Thorns M1009. Picture is generic. They have 1500 pulse cranking amps. Awesome batteries. These batteries are the best I have ever used. I just put a pair of batteries in a service truck that does a lot of jump starting. I will picture them when I can get my camera back in service. I left it laying out in the garage an lost it for while. it is not cooperating with me at this time. Oh well. Saves me a bit of time with my boring pictures. Later. Peace out.

Another Ahab

View attachment 661942I installed a set of North Star Pure lead batteries in my Crown of Thorns M1009. Picture is generic. They have 1500 pulse cranking amps. Awesome batteries. These batteries are the best I have ever used. I just put a pair of batteries in a service truck that does a lot of jump starting. I will picture them when I can get my camera back in service. I left it laying out in the garage an lost it for while. it is not cooperating with me at this time. Oh well. Saves me a bit of time with my boring pictures. Later. Peace out.
The built-in carrying handle is a nice feature.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like hurting my back every time I have to lift the type6 batteries out of the CUCV's for troubleshooting or changing light bulbs!!

Just swapped the front and rear battery positions which should be done yearly as the starter battery does not get the same cycles as the 12 volt system battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks