• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Drock

I might consider that for the future, but unfortunately it wouldn't have helped me anyway. The truck came to a stop in the middle of a busy intersection with 1000lb load of steel in the bed. So pushing it, or fixing it was not an option:cry:.

RobM36A2

First modification I made to my '86 1028A2 was the addition of an additional transmission cooler mounted behind the radiator. No issues in 3 years/10k miles mostly towing a 5th wheel camper.
Mine is a stock M1028. No A1 or A2, do wish I had a dually.....
Got it 4 years ago, put some 20k miles on it with weekend driving trips, offroading, pulling trailers, and the occasional load in the bed.
Not a daily driver, it is my weekend/holiday toy.

cucvrus

I might consider that for the future, but unfortunately it wouldn't have helped me anyway. The truck came to a stop in the middle of a busy intersection with 1000lb load of steel in the bed. So pushing it, or fixing it was not an option:cry:.
True story. I was in Binghamton NY at a wedding. I drove my M1009 back in the late 90's it was like a new truck and had 17K miles on it. I drove the entire family up in it 5 people. The trip up was fine. it was snowing and we left the wedding reception to come home about 200 miles south. I was in a small Pennsylvania town and had just crossed over I 80. Bloomsburg PA. The throttle cable broke. It was cold out. I sat about 1 minute. Saturday night cold late and kids with the need to go about 60 more miles. I went in the woods and grabbed the first stick I could find. I opened the injection pump lever and jammed the stick in it. I started the M1009 it revved I popped it in gear and away we went. I had it at about 60 mph. I soon discovered if It would kick down if I lifted the pedal and floored it past the switch. I made it thru several small towns turning it off and kicking it in neutral. When I reached I 81 it was smooth sailing at 60-70 mph. We made it home and everything was well and safe. The cables almost always break right at the attachment to the bracket from being leaned on. My kids still talk about that night. FUN FUN. Saved a bundle on thinking it out. Have a great day. Stay safe.

Drock

True story. I was in Binghamton NY at a wedding. I drove my M1009 back in the late 90's it was like a new truck and had 17K miles on it. I drove the entire family up in it 5 people. The trip up was fine. it was snowing and we left the wedding reception to come home about 200 miles south. I was in a small Pennsylvania town and had just crossed over I 80. Bloomsburg PA. The throttle cable broke. It was cold out. I sat about 1 minute. Saturday night cold late and kids with the need to go about 60 more miles. I went in the woods and grabbed the first stick I could find. I opened the injection pump lever and jammed the stick in it. I started the M1009 it revved I popped it in gear and away we went. I had it at about 60 mph. I soon discovered if It would kick down if I lifted the pedal and floored it past the switch. I made it thru several small towns turning it off and kicking it in neutral. When I reached I 81 it was smooth sailing at 60-70 mph. We made it home and everything was well and safe. The cables almost always break right at the attachment to the bracket from being leaned on. My kids still talk about that night. FUN FUN. Saved a bundle on thinking it out. Have a great day. Stay safe.
Yeah I'm glad I JUST got AAA its already paid for itself. I just installed the new throttle cable from Napa:doh:. What an absolute piece of junk!!! First I had to cut 3/8" off the sleeve to make the cable reach the throttle linkage. Then I had to ream out the eyelet to fit over the stud. Then I had to glue the clip to the firewall because it was smaller then the hole. I think I'm going to look into a universal Hotrod cable, perhaps Lokar makes one? This stock one is basically a glorified bicycle brake cable so I figure anything else would be an improvement.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New GM throttle cables are out there.
Just very hard to find.

I found two NOS GM ones on eBay. $25 each.

Drock

Yes, and also tools and some "Ford wire". I'm way too lazy to walk, and not about to call AAA unless there's no other option.
But for a busted throttle cable I'd probably just turn up the idle and go.
I would have definitely rigged something up if that was an option. However dead in the middle of a busy city intersection,with 1000lbs in the bed. I couldn't safely work under the hood, or push the beast off the road. For $60.00 I got it safely home on a flatbed, and parked perfectly under my walnut tree.:beer:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have definitely rigged something up if that was an option. However dead in the middle of a busy city intersection,with 1000lbs in the bed. I couldn't safely work under the hood, or push the beast off the road. For $60.00 I got it safely home on a flatbed, and parked perfectly under my walnut tree.:beer:
Ah, no wonder it got mad at you and broke - what did the poor thing do wrong to get driven into a busy city?!?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never had a throttle cable break but after hearing the horrors of the aftermarket cables, I watched for NOS ones. Over the last few years I managed to rathole enough to keep me going for a spell.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Rebuilt drivers side alternator, 45.00 bucks , YEAAAA. The only reason I found out was I was working on glow plug relay, put my arm on alt wire at back of alt and the sparks flew. The post on alt arced a bigger hole and more or less melted the hole inside of the alternator.

The alt was wired right, I think that when new alternator was installed the "military tech" spun the post and over time got loose and was melting components inside alt.

With the solar charger that is on truck I never knew that alternator was having problems.

Now to sort out glow plugs and see, hope that nothing got fried from the converted welder.:?

No wonder they had problems with the truck and kept on replacing parts....

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got myself some new classic vehicle plates for my m1009 as it's finally eligible.
I want to do that with mine but...

WADOL said:
Vehicles with these plates:

Be owned and operated as collector vehicles.

May be driven:
To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
For testing purposes.
For the pleasure of others without compensation.

May not be used for:
Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.
Commercial purposes or to carry a load.
I use mine as a daily driver (when it's not 90° outside).

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to do that with mine but...I use mine as a daily driver (when it's not 90° outside).
It seems to vary from state to state what you can and can't do with classic/antique/historical plates.
For example, when I got historical plates for my Peterbilt (to get away from CA's very expensive commercial fees) I was well aware that it should now only be driven to and from club functions and vehicle events, for example.
What it didn't say in the vehicle code was that those club functions or events had to have anything to do with the vehicle with the historical plates. So I kept towing my Jeep to various four wheel drive gatherings as usual.
Never did get stopped while running those historical plates, so I don't know how well it would've gone over.

Drock

It seems to vary from state to state what you can and can't do with classic/antique/historical plates.
For example, when I got historical plates for my Peterbilt (to get away from CA's very expensive commercial fees) I was well aware that it should now only be driven to and from club functions and vehicle events, for example.
What it didn't say in the vehicle code was that those club functions or events had to have anything to do with the vehicle with the historical plates. So I kept towing my Jeep to various four wheel drive gatherings as usual.
Never did get stopped while running those historical plates, so I don't know how well it would've gone over.
In Florida & Georgia you can put classic tags on anything 20yrs or older. In FL is actually cheaper then normal tags because you never have to renew them. However in GA they are considered "Vanity tags" and cost more to buy, and more to renew.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks