• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Ilikemtb999

I want to do that with mine but...

I use mine as a daily driver (when it's not 90° outside).
I only had to sign an affidavit that I wouldn't drive mine more than 4500 miles a year on public roads. I don't think I drive that much with all of my vehicles let alone my cucv so I wasn't worried. Back in Illinois they had antique plates (only drive to and from shows and we're $25 for 5 years) and also extended use antique plates that cost a bit more but allowed unrestricted driving for the nice months.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only had to sign an affidavit that I wouldn't drive mine more than 4500 miles a year on public roads.
Unless they force you to run a log, electronic or paper, how on earth would they know where you accumulated those miles?
Like you, my problem is usually that I can't get many miles on the vehicles. By now the insurance company has learned that when I say "The odometer reads whatever it did last year." doesn't mean that it's broken.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea and then they tell you to fix it or your rates well go up and then you are out of luck.
Well, so far that hasn't been an issue. There are one or two that are broken, and I told them that. Either way, as far as I know there's no law that says that you have to have a functional odometer - speedometer, yes, but not odometer.

Ilikemtb999

Unless they force you to run a log, electronic or paper, how on earth would they know where you accumulated those miles?
Like you, my problem is usually that I can't get many miles on the vehicles. By now the insurance company has learned that when I say "The odometer reads whatever it did last year." doesn't mean that it's broken.

Its a legal binding document so I think they're taking my word for it. Do I seem untrustworthy?

cucvrus

Well, so far that hasn't been an issue. There are one or two that are broken, and I told them that. Either way, as far as I know there's no law that says that you have to have a functional odometer - speedometer, yes, but not odometer.
You James Bond secret agent man you.
https://youtu.be/ye8KvYKn9-0
For state inspection the speedometer and odometer must work. That is Pennsylvania law.

MarcusOReallyus

My wife's modern SUV had broken air conditioning for a couple weeks. She said that driving her M1009 with the floor vents open, triangular windows open, and regular windows down halfway, was almost as cool as having AC and was far cooler than a modern SUV with just the windows open.
Somehow, I can't see that working quite as well in, say, Houston, as it does in Vermont.........

MarcusOReallyus

Well, there's this little matter of insurance fraud.....

cucvrus

Somehow, I can't see that working quite as well in, say, Houston, as it does in Vermont.........
That won't work here for me. And I am not very fussy. 60 miles per hour 4 windows down A/C is NOT going to cut it. I have a Good Wife. I want to keep her. If I give her a CUCV to drive. lets just say. Never mind. I wouldn't do that.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, there's this little matter of insurance fraud.....
Not sure how I would commit any fraud by not having functional odometers, or not driving a vehicle during the past year. In either case the numbers don't go up, but whether I put zero or 350 miles (or even 5,000) on an insured vehicle shouldn't really matter, should it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see why PA has inspections. Without them, some folks would likely drive vehicles made of mostly old parts and rust. It's also a revenue grab. Requiring an odometer seems a little extreme. My M1010 hasn't been on public road in 18 months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks