• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

computer54

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Antransmission shop is better because if it leaks again take it backand have them check it out and that part of the service, check it out.I had my trans rebuilt by a good shop and it was warranty 1 year soit check out.[/FONT]

Ilikemtb999

well if it not a rental and you can work on it there, a flat cement driveway and a transmission jack will make things a lot easier.
You could pull the transmission and transfer case as a unit but you'll need to get that truck up in the air.
That's a bummer a $10 seal requires so much work to replace.

Well, a quality transmission shop should charge a few hours labor plus the seal.

I was able to drop mine with it on all 4 tires. A trans jack makes all the difference.

Volvo740turbo

well if it not a rental and you can work on it there, a flat cement driveway and a transmission jack will make things a lot easier.
You could pull the transmission and transfer case as a unit but you'll need to get that truck up in the air.
That's a bummer a $10 seal requires so much work to replace.

Well, a quality transmission shop should charge a few hours labor plus the seal.
Evidently the starter relay prongs were dirty enough to cause a 2 time try to get the truck to start...i had to let it run for my entire work shift and I'll be ****ed if it didn't leak a drop of trans fluid....i dunno...i didn't put anything in it besides what came out ...so water leak fixed ....trabs leak isn't happening and I think scouring the prongs on the starter relay might have fixed the starting issue on my less than 24 hour old starter...i was going to install a push button starter switch in place of the relay but if it stays operational I will.skip it

Volvo740turbo

Evidently the starter relay prongs were dirty enough to cause a 2 time try to get the truck to start...i had to let it run for my entire work shift and I'll be ****ed if it didn't leak a drop of trans fluid....i dunno...i didn't put anything in it besides what came out ...so water leak fixed ....trabs leak isn't happening and I think scouring the prongs on the starter relay might have fixed the starting issue on my less than 24 hour old starter...i was going to install a push button starter switch in place of the relay but if it stays operational I will.skip it
Would it be accurate in thinking I can just ditch the starter relay and replace it with a button instead? If so, this would lead me to believe I would never suffer from starter run on

rustystud

Would it be accurate in thinking I can just ditch the starter relay and replace it with a button instead? If so, this would lead me to believe I would never suffer from starter run on
You could but the switch would have to be able to carry a lot of current ! You also would have to run some seriously big cables to that switch too. Not worth it. Just fix the relay or replace it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will spend more $$$ and take more time installing a button that's not needed IMO.

As already said, just fix the problem.

The more you try to redesign, the more problematic it will be.

Volvo740turbo

You could but the switch would have to be able to carry a lot of current ! You also would have to run some seriously big cables to that switch too. Not worth it. Just fix the relay or replace it.
I did the relay mod...installed the new starter and I'd did the same crap as the other one....then I spent the 18$ and got the retrofit relay and 5 minutes later I'm back in buisness....on a better note, the hardware on the new starter looks much better than the last one they gave me

Volvo740turbo

I did the relay mod...installed the new starter and I'd did the same crap as the other one....then I spent the 18$ and got the retrofit relay and 5 minutes later I'm back in buisness....on a better note, the hardware on the new starter looks much better than the last one they gave me
I was able to locate a dealership for the starter bracket so I will be installing that finally...14$

Bighorn

Bless the Lord.
I finally got a radiator that holds water.
Two weeks later.
Testing out my rebuilt injection pump by Oregon Fuel Injection.
Less smoke.
More power.
Smooth idle.

Had a fuel leak right away but turned out to be the lift pump I replaced, tightened the supply line and fixed.
I live at 8,990 ft and just brought the truck down the highway and up to 9,430 feet.
Runs about like a 305 gas motor.
Have a k5 with a 400ci motor and there is no comparison except the m1009 uses exactly half as much fuel to do the same drive.
Wow.
New radiator. Thermostat. Fuel injection pump. Lift pump.
Water pump.
Radiator hoses.

I have the newest 1986 m1009 in the Bighorns.
Sooo glad I dropped a money bomb on the important stuff first.
Life is good.. very good.
$4,800 for an m1009 with 93 k miles and 1.5k in upgrades.
Adding the 911 Joeblow coolant upgrade kit next.
Got a 3/8" tee and nipple for the oil pressure idiot light and an after market oil pressure gauge.
If you have a high mileage db2 fuel injection pump, call oregonfuelinjection.com
Soo so glad I did that.
It was painful waiting on that replacement radiator from northern but glad for that too.
I am going to wheel this m1009 around forest road 122 now.
Gotta break them in right.
My poor 1976 k5 chucked a hood spring today while retrieving parts for the m1009.
I know they are machines but...
Like I said;
I am a hermit crab changing it's shell.
Interesting and terrifying to behold all at once.

Oh yea! The dang Fluidampr harmonic balancer.
Dude.
Get one.
Less rattle.
You can feel the difference with fingers on the steering wheel.
I like my new shell.
Kinda like my old shell without the rust.
Two meanings of "like" there.
THAT is sure to confuse the millenials.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bless the Lord.
Two weeks later.
Less smoke.
More power.
Smooth idle.

Had a fuel leak right away but turned out to be the lift pump I replaced, tightened the supply line and fixed.
I live at 8,990 ft and just brought the truck down the highway and up to 9,430 feet.
Have a k5 with a 400ci motor and there is no comparison except the m1009 uses exactly half as much fuel to do the same drive.
Wow.
Water pump.
Radiator hoses.

Got a 3/8" tee and nipple for the oil pressure idiot light and an after market oil pressure gauge.
If you have a high mileage db2 fuel injection pump, call oregonfuelinjection.com
Soo so glad I did that.
It was painful waiting on that replacement radiator from northern but glad for that too.
My poor 1976 k5 chucked a hood spring today while retrieving parts for the m1009.
Like I said;

Dude.
Get one.
Less rattle.
I like my new shell.

Do it right the first time, buy the best parts you can afford and it makes a world of difference.
Glad the radiator worked.

Bighorn

So true, what you said.
My old boss at Champion plumbing would say; "Do it right and you can't be wrong."
I stuck to my guns on that radiator.
First one had a leak under the factory paint.
May have cost me credibility with Miller fab but I know that damage was not caused by me.
They got me a replacement.
So happy to hear the steady idle of my 6.2 now.

Volvo740turbo

Bless the Lord.
Two weeks later.
Less smoke.
More power.
Smooth idle.

Wow.
Water pump.
Radiator hoses.

Soo so glad I did that.
Like I said;

Dude.
Get one.
Less rattle.
I like my new shell.
Have you done the resistor delete mod yet?

Volvo740turbo

Bless the Lord.
Two weeks later.
Less smoke.
More power.
Smooth idle.

Wow.
Water pump.
Radiator hoses.

Soo so glad I did that.
Like I said;

Dude.
Get one.
Less rattle.
I like my new shell.
Have you done the resistor delete mod yet?

Bighorn

I am very fortunate that the previous owner had done both the Doghead starter relay modifications and installed a full panel of headlight relays.

Made it around fr122.
Very different between 400 ci gas and 379 ci diesel.
Also transfer case low range.
Weird to just idle over stuff with the m1009.
My 79' K5 with sbc 400 is faster but sux gas like crazy.
Digging my diesel.
Never had to hit the gas pedal.
Very odd.
Lot of fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks