• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Drock

Just an observation. The rear battery tray has both batteries mounted on it and all the weight appears to be on the inner fender. I would consider getting a bit of a brace to anchor some of that weight onto the inner fender structure like they were from stock. That would take a lot of stress from the fender apron. Just an observation. Have a great day.
Agreed I have both my optima yellow tops mounted on the back tray as well. I welded my own top tray and incorporated the fender braces into it. I've got about 40,000 miles on it sense and no issues......Battery tray.jpg

Volvo740turbo

Yep, this is what the previous owner of my m1009 did or had done.
My starter is still 24 volt but my glow plugs are being run off the front battery.
The original system used the resistor to drop 24 volts to 12 for the glow plug system so that both batteries were utlitzed.
My resistor bank is gone and the glow plug relay power supply is wired to the middle of my battery bank or basically just the front battery.
Well, it is what it is.
I probably would have kept the resistor and ran the glows off both batteries.
Oddly, if you watch that video, the guy said his resistor caught fire o the highway.
How is that possible if the glow plug system isn't being used?
Sounds like something else happened to cause a short.
Looking at the schematic, there should only be a load across the resistor when the glow plug solenoid is energized.
There is really no way the resistor can overload and burn unless there is a short while the gp system is in operation or something else shorts the power wire between the resistor and glow plug solenoid.
Well the resistor blew and 2 days later the gp relay went..
After I eliminated the resistor and swapped the gp relay there hasn't been an issue since...the batteries are less.than a year old and the glow plugs are about 5 years old

Volvo740turbo

Yep, this is what the previous owner of my m1009 did or had done.
My starter is still 24 volt but my glow plugs are being run off the front battery.
The original system used the resistor to drop 24 volts to 12 for the glow plug system so that both batteries were utlitzed.
My resistor bank is gone and the glow plug relay power supply is wired to the middle of my battery bank or basically just the front battery.
Well, it is what it is.
I probably would have kept the resistor and ran the glows off both batteries.
Oddly, if you watch that video, the guy said his resistor caught fire o the highway.
How is that possible if the glow plug system isn't being used?
Sounds like something else happened to cause a short.
Looking at the schematic, there should only be a load across the resistor when the glow plug solenoid is energized.
There is really no way the resistor can overload and burn unless there is a short while the gp system is in operation or something else shorts the power wire between the resistor and glow plug solenoid.
Removing the resistor makes one less part that can fail, the gp system runs on 12v and it escapes me why they would utilize a 24v system dumbed down to feed it..
As far as the starter relay retrofit goes it's just easier to buy and cheaper too...i wasn't against buying a factory relay but I didn't have time to order it and wait for shipping.

In a side note removing the resistor did not effect the performance of starting the truck, it's neither better or worse it's still supplied with the 12v needed, Its my opinion they just over engineered some things due to lack of technology

cucvrus

maxresdefaultmaster.jpgKeep talking we are both listening. When you present a degree in automotive electrical engineering you will capture my full attention. downloadmost interesting man in the world..jpgUntil then everything you write is speculation and untested without the 30 + years that the original system has lasted and is still operational on many of these CUCV's. Anyone can change parts cut wires and make things work. It takes talent to diagnose and keep an entire functioning system functioning and still able to be repaired and diagnosed from the service manuals and from the internet by just asking a question and presenting your issues or deficiencies. After you cut and mod you are on your own and the problem just blossoms into other things that need attention. The broken record still plays. As long as I keep the cracks aligned. Have a great day.

Bighorn

With each glow plug taking 15 amps x 8 glow plugs that's 120 amps for a period of 20 seconds under arctic conditions.
If that truck gets started and stopped a lot in arctic conditions, that is a lot of work for those batteries.
I am not an electrical engineer.
But I can see why they would use the two batteries in series and then step down the voltage using a load resistor.
Each battery sees half the load.
The military imposed the 24 volt requirement on the cucv so GM used it for a 24 volt starter which uses 1/2 the current of the same 12 volt starter and potent glow plug system that might as well spread the load across both batteries.
The way mine is wired; using only the front battery for the glow plugs, I can foresee that battery wearing out sooner than the rear battery.
How much sooner?
I don't know.
Is it even a significant factor?
I don't know.
I guess I will find out this winter since my resistor was long gone before I bought the truck.

gottaluvit

With each glow plug taking 15 amps x 8 glow plugs that's 120 amps for a period of 20 seconds under arctic conditions.
If that truck gets started and stopped a lot in arctic conditions, that is a lot of work for those batteries.
But I can see why they would use the two batteries in series and then step down the voltage using a load resistor.
The military imposed the 24 volt requirement on the cucv so GM used it for a 24 volt starter which uses 1/2 the current of the same 12 volt starter and potent glow plug system that might as well spread the load across both batteries.
The way mine is wired; using only the front battery for the glow plugs, I can foresee that battery wearing out sooner than the rear battery.
How much sooner?
I don't know.
I don't know.
I guess I will find out this winter since my resistor was long gone before I bought the truck.
Just rotate the batteries now and then. I do so even with all parts stock.

Bighorn

What parts don't they produce anymore? I am intrigued with this statement.
Cucvrus your inbox is full.
I am trying to return the pm but it says youve exceeded your inbox space.
Let me know what you've got and how much.

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

View attachment 699246Keep talking we are both listening. When you present a degree in automotive electrical engineering you will capture my full attention. View attachment 699247Until then everything you write is speculation and untested without the 30 + years that the original system has lasted and is still operational on many of these CUCV's. Anyone can change parts cut wires and make things work. It takes talent to diagnose and keep an entire functioning system functioning and still able to be repaired and diagnosed from the service manuals and from the internet by just asking a question and presenting your issues or deficiencies. After you cut and mod you are on your own and the problem just blossoms into other things that need attention. The broken record still plays. As long as I keep the cracks aligned. Have a great day.
Well for one I actually did utilize my.multi meter to diagnose my electrical issues, it doesn't require any type of degree to be able to do that. And swapping starter relays isn't really that big of a deal....theyre both designed to serve the same purpose, regardless if they look the same or not...i don't need to be a purist when it comes to keeping the truck rolling and I'm not really afraid to stray from old tech...

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......it's always the same story, all the years you tinker and bolts on your truck, using the cheapest parts or parts you mean they work much better......during you repair your truck you think about stupid GM workers who had no idea at all what they had done..........some day, you are standing in front of your truck with a white flag in hands, you'll see it will not get better.......you give up, the truck must go......
The new owner of the truck think....what the h... has the PO done and why.....in germany we call such cars
" Bastelbude "
Purchase the right parts, puts them in the right place...........and if they have not died, they drive.........
.........why is actually a owner of a classic mercedes 300 SL not so innovative?

3jumpjeep

How much sooner?
I don't know.
I don't know.
I know a few cucv owners that "rotate" batteries when they do an oil change.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bighorn

View attachment 699277View attachment 699278View attachment 699279View attachment 699280

Used my M1009 to establish our hunting camp up near the Montana border.
My co-worker has an elk tag, I have a general deer tag.
The M1009 ran so smooth today.
Having less power than my 400 ci small block was actually a benefit over Sheep mountains rocky forest road.
With the 400 the slightest bump sends your foot down on the throttle and the truck leaps forward.
The 6.2 diesel just idles along steady as a ship at sea.
Used almost no fuel.
The 6.2 is one extremely economical motor.
Now I am re-thinking messing with the gears and axles at all.
Those 3.08's are just fine and the 31" tires are fine.
I am not super stoked to have that gov-loc carrier in the rear axle but if I don't put huge tires on it.. maybe just leave it as it is.
This truck is too sweet to thrash in the rocks.
Maybe I'll keep the 76 k5 for that purpose and the 86 m1009 as my honey.

Volvo740turbo

Did you buy this from that seller in California that paint bombs the entire inside, outside, underside and engine bay?

EDIT: Reread the post, he Rhino lined the inside of his truck. I first read it as the alternator had Rhino lining inside it.
View attachment 699277View attachment 699278View attachment 699279View attachment 699280

Used my M1009 to establish our hunting camp up near the Montana border.
My co-worker has an elk tag, I have a general deer tag.
The M1009 ran so smooth today.
Having less power than my 400 ci small block was actually a benefit over Sheep mountains rocky forest road.
With the 400 the slightest bump sends your foot down on the throttle and the truck leaps forward.
The 6.2 diesel just idles along steady as a ship at sea.
Used almost no fuel.
The 6.2 is one extremely economical motor.
Now I am re-thinking messing with the gears and axles at all.
Those 3.08's are just fine and the 31" tires are fine.
I am not super stoked to have that gov-loc carrier in the rear axle but if I don't put huge tires on it.. maybe just leave it as it is.
This truck is too sweet to thrash in the rocks.
Maybe I'll keep the 76 k5 for that purpose and the 86 m1009 as my honey.
The locker gets a bad rap, even after breaking and replacing mine I still think it's good, so does gm because they still use it.

Bighorn

I thought about swapping the 12 bolt and dana 44 combo from my 76 into the m1009.
That dana 44 is the highly desirable flat top knuckle version.
It would be a shame to put it into the m1009 because I will never install a hi-steer kit.
Someone else would kill to get this axle.
But the more I drive the m1009, the more I like it just as it is.
My 76 k5 will never be anything but a rusted out wheeling rig.
This m1009 has no rust.
Infact everything works perfectly.
If I swapped my locked axles into it I would be tempted to wheel it places I take my 76.
It would be a shame to do that because it means body damage.
Not that I won't be wheeling the m1009.
Just not the crazy stuff I do in my 76.

Gosh, I really had a good time tonight driving the m1009.
No squeaks, rattles.. the doors open and close with a click instead of a bang.
The windows all roll up and down and the hood didn't fall off (happened to my 76) due to rusted out hinges.
I forgot a Blazer could be so smooth.
Must have been what it was like to drive on off the dealer lot in 1986 or very nearly so.
These surplus m1009's are really excellent machines.
Been a long time since I was smitten by a vehicle this bad.

rustystud

The locker gets a bad rap, even after breaking and replacing mine I still think it's good, so does gm because they still use it.
Now I'm no fan of the "gov-lock" by any means, (I have had to rebuild enough of them) but it will work fine as long as you drive it like it was meant to be driven. That means no crazy rock climbing with a blown Chevy, romping on the "go pedal" like a raped ape ! They will explode under those conditions ! Normal driving and gentle off-roading is what they where meant for. If you've ever seen the commercials for this unit then you will see what I mean about "gentle" off-roading. The driver is getting stuck so he gently applies the go-pedal and the rear locks up and off he goes. You never see him floor the throttle and let the dirt fly ! That will kill the gov-lock so fast it will make your head spin. Drive the truck like it was meant to and it will last a long time.

cucvrus

Now I'm no fan of the "gov-lock" by any means, (I have had to rebuild enough of them) but it will work fine as long as you drive it like it was meant to be driven. That means no crazy rock climbing with a blown Chevy, romping on the "go pedal" like a raped ape ! They will explode under those conditions ! Normal driving and gentle off-roading is what they where meant for. If you've ever seen the commercials for this unit then you will see what I mean about "gentle" off-roading. The driver is getting stuck so he gently applies the go-pedal and the rear locks up and off he goes. You never see him floor the throttle and let the dirt fly ! That will kill the gov-lock so fast it will make your head spin. Drive the truck like it was meant to and it will last a long time.

WOW I can hardly believe I am on the same web site. Someone actually talking good about a well proven GM 10 bolt axle. I have had dozens of them. I have the same rear axle in my 2014 Silverado and it has disc brakes now. Other then a few housing and bracket changes it uses the same locker and it works. I used a few of mine very , very hard and no failures to date. I know what the breaking point is. It is relentless pounding and big tires that destroy the 10 bolt. Not to mention lack of good maintenance. I had 1 failure in my life. My fault. I did NOT change the lock pin bolt. I knew better but disregarded my and GM rule. That is a once and done bolt. For less then $5. I was opening a crate. Good luck. I share the same respect and admiration for the M1009. I like its highway drivability and the fact that it is more comfortable then the CUCV trucks. I used to think the opposite. But after all the years of ownership I found the M1009 more useful and with a trailer much more versatile. Check out my Terminus M1009 thread. I think I surpassed hard use with this one. Still going. I wanted to add October 21 is a Saturday and we will be wheeling again at Rausch Creek Off Road Park. Good Luck hunting and enjoy your M1009 as it was built. " Bastelbude "We sure don't need anymore of these around. I have seen enough of that.

Last edited:

Bighorn

WOW I can hardly believe I am on the same web site. Someone actually talking good about a well proven GM 10 bolt axle. I have had dozens of them. I have the same rear axle in my 2014 Silverado and it has disc brakes now. Other then a few housing and bracket changes it uses the same locker and it works. I used a few of mine very , very hard and no failures to date. I know what the breaking point is. It is relentless pounding and big tires that destroy the 10 bolt. Not to mention lack of good maintenance. I had 1 failure in my life. My fault. I did NOT change the lock pin bolt. I knew better but disregarded my and GM rule. That is a once and done bolt. For less then $5. I was opening a crate. Good luck. I share the same respect and admiration for the M1009. I like its highway drivability and the fact that it is more comfortable then the CUCV trucks. I used to think the opposite. But after all the years of ownership I found the M1009 more useful and with a trailer much more versatile. Check out my Terminus M1009 thread. I think I surpassed hard use with this one. Still going. I wanted to add October 21 is a Saturday and we will be wheeling again at Rausch Creek Off Road Park. Good Luck hunting and enjoy your M1009 as it was built. " Bastelbude "We sure don't need anymore of these around. I have seen enough of that.
Your inbox is full again.
But you have a deal!
Let me know where to send the plates and how to pay for shipping.
Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks