• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, electrical signals are not mandatory here. Any mechanism that signals the driver's intent will do.

I'm not convinced that I like them there, maybe will do like a previous member suggested: use the inboard signals that the later models have.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
green bow tie.png"Whattaya in for?" :)

Here is another truck with a green bowtie, so it HAAAAAS been done before.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, electrical signals are not mandatory here. Any mechanism that signals the driver's intent will do.
I'm not convinced that I like them there, maybe will do like a previous member suggested: use the inboard signals that the later models have.
Hit the Thanks button by mistake

Its not a state thing but a Federal DOT thing.
Federal law always trumps state law.
The arm signals are only to be used temporarily.
<30 days to allow repair.
After that the signals in the vehicle must be working.
What you have now is too small and not placed correctly.

Ask your states DOT officer and they will tell you same thing plus whatever else
that has recently changed.

Recommend using factory location.
Behind grill factory location works since that was a factory installed for whatever year and was
approved by DOT, etc.

I’ve seen low rider cars towed because the very small tires they use are not rated high enough for the weight of the car that their installed on.
Sounds like BS I know, but it is a valid technical enforcement.

Get a LEO on the wrong day and watch your truck get impounded.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave the HF pulley puller kit a whirl in the garage this afternoon on the spare pump/bracket. The right tool makes the job a lot easier!

Hoping tomorrow I can get a break in the rain to swap the spare bracket into the truck and get it back on the road. I'll get the cracked one welded again and put it on the shelf just in case.

rustystud

Ask your states DOT officer and they will tell you same thing plus whatever else

Behind grill factory location works since that was a factory installed for whatever year and was
approved by DOT, etc.

I’ve seen low rider cars towed because the very small tires they use are not rated high enough for the weight of the car that their installed on.

Boy your not kidding about an upset LEO ! I had one that was just looking to find something wrong. It didn't matter what was wrong either !

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter

approved by DOT, etc.

OK.

Since I have been presented with a logical and reasonable argument, then I am willing to change my view.

I'll fix the turn signals.....and the license plate light...and install mud flaps (that IS a compliance thing around here for any lifted vehicle).

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rain finally stopped so I was able to get under the hood and attack the cracked power steering pump bracket. Out here in WA, it's warm in the winter when it's raining, but once the clouds clear off it gets freaking cold; so I bundled up.

I suspect the cracks are from the stress caused by the bottom pump bracket having never been connected; hopefully I won't need to do all this again.

Loosened the alternators and steering pump, then moved the belts out of the way.
Working around the fan and fan shroud, I got the puller in there and got the pulley off.
Pulled the broken bracket out and left the pump hanging there.
Reinstalled my spare pump bracket and attached the pump.
Put the pulley back on.
Tightened the belts and I am done. It took a couple hours.

Pictures of all the tools it took and the crack in the bracket. I'll get that welded up and keep it for next time.

Attachments

rsh4364

After 50k happy miles on my 86 1009 with 456 gears someone dumped something in my fuel tank,ruined my injectors and ip ,I replaced tank with a 31 gal tank,electric pump, new fuel line,new injectors, new ip,new glowplugs, new starter.And working on a fuel door lock.

FrankenCub

Looks like they could have built those brackets with a little more meat on the bottom side. I'll be checking mine when I change out the water pump to see if I'm missing that small bracket that wasn't attached correctly on yours.

FrankenCub

After 50k happy miles on my 86 1009 with 456 gears someone dumped something in my fuel tank,ruined my injectors and ip ,I replaced tank with a 31 gal tank,electric pump, new fuel line,new injectors, new ip,new glowplugs, new starter.And working on a fuel door lock.
I've been thinking about a way to lock my fuel door also. I have a neighbor that is a thief and drives a coal burner, don't trust him a bit. For now I park in front of one of my security cameras. Thinking a simple stainless cabinet lock from Lowes or a hidden latch. Thoughts are to spring load the fuel door with a spring loaded rod going towards the rear wheel opening. Pull the rod and it will release the door. That way instead of having a single flap of thin steel doing the latching it can have a forked rod going to the top and bottom. Both would be simple. The second I wouldn't have to worry about loosing or forgetting the key and it wont freeze up in the winter.

rsh4364

I picked up a heavy duty cabinet style lock with 5/8 mounting depth and 3 different lock arms,gonna mount top center of fuel door. Won't be theft proof but theft resistant.

FrankenCub

Anything that will slow them down and discourage them has got to be a help. I thought about using an electric solenoid from a newer car but my doors don't even lock yet lol. I gotta get door locks and a new steering column/lock cylinder.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
11_zps654dae97.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-in-Zinc-Plated-Double-Hinge-Safety-Hasp-15128/202033920 Is something similar to what I used.

Don't forget your anti-theft device! (Doubles as cruise control!)

13_zps61b249af.jpg

Last edited:

joshuak

That really sucks sir, may karma tear them a new one. Good to read your on the road again.

FrankenCub

View attachment 712985

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-in-Zinc-Plated-Double-Hinge-Safety-Hasp-15128/202033920 Is something similar to what I used.

Don't forget your anti-theft device! (Doubles as cruise control!)

View attachment 712986
Yeah, I could definitely use some antitheft help lmao. The ignition tumbler locked up on me and couldn't shut the truck off. After a half hour out came the sawzall..
oops.jpg

Had to get crude because it was also locking the shift lever. I should have known something was going on, it stuck a couple times previously, but returned to service like nothing happened.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks