• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I could definitely use some antitheft help lmao. The ignition tumbler locked up on me and couldn't shut the truck off. After a half hour out came the sawzall..
View attachment 713098

Had to get crude because it was also locking the shift lever. I should have known something was going on, it stuck a couple times previously, but returned to service like nothing happened.
Yikes. I can't help but think it would have been faster and cheaper to pull the green wire off the IP.

FrankenCub

Yikes. I can't help but think it would have been faster and cheaper to pull the green wire off the IP.
That would have shut it down, but still no way to start or release the shift lever. Really not any cheaper because the column is messed up inside, would have needed to be replaced anyway because it was locking up. I could have filled a kids sandbox with what I cleaned out of this truck when I bought it. Looked to me like it spent a lot of time in the desert somewhere. I think sand had gotten into the column and ruined the tumbler and the shift lockout gears.
I should add I had the tumbler out before I went the sawzall route because of the shift lockout still wouldn't turn with a screwdriver.

85CUCVtom

Yeah, I could definitely use some antitheft help lmao. The ignition tumbler locked up on me and couldn't shut the truck off. After a half hour out came the sawzall..
View attachment 713098

Had to get crude because it was also locking the shift lever. I should have known something was going on, it stuck a couple times previously, but returned to service like nothing happened.
Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaiser67M715

I hope you mean the pink/red wire? Far as I know, the two green wires on the IP control high idle and the cold advance solenoid. The large pink is the fuel shut off.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you mean the pink/red wire? Far as I know, the two green wires on the IP control high idle and the cold advance solenoid. The large pink is the fuel shut off.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
Yes, that!

I know where it is, not the color specifically. :D

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 713098

Luckily mine was already stopped when it did that.

I pulled the steering wheel and gutted the steering lock, then used 5 ton switches as start/run/accy...

https://youtu.be/OAm-N_PbREE

rustystud

That would have shut it down, but still no way to start or release the shift lever. Really not any cheaper because the column is messed up inside, would have needed to be replaced anyway because it was locking up. I could have filled a kids sandbox with what I cleaned out of this truck when I bought it. Looked to me like it spent a lot of time in the desert somewhere. I think sand had gotten into the column and ruined the tumbler and the shift lockout gears.
I should add I had the tumbler out before I went the sawzall route because of the shift lockout still wouldn't turn with a screwdriver.
That was one of the first things I replaced on my M1028 when I first got it. The one I installed was from a 1984 suburban with cruise control, intermittent wipers and tilt column. I still haven't installed the intermittent wiper assembly or cruise control, but someday ! If I live that long.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
working compliance stuff

Just to make my life easier. You see, the Blazer isn't a trailer queen yet: I have to drive it to/from the trail head. Maybe on a Federal highway once in awhile.

• Mud flaps. Requirement in AZ for a lifted vehicle. An easy bust in Oro Valley as one has to pass thru that "bear's den" to get to the trail.
  • Exhaust pipe. When I transitioned to the 37" tires, I encountered interference at the final 90 degree bend. So I cut it off. Exhausting under the vehicle is a no-no for on-the-road. Gonna run straight out the back after the mufflers. That will allow for axle relo rearward someday.
  • Those pesky turn signals. The little bitty lights I put on the grille are DOT compliant for side markers, so I will assign them to that task. While I consider what to do next, I wired up some magnetic base tow lights, amber both sides, stuck 'em onto the grille guard.
  • Rear license plate location & lighting. Plate is now centered where the pintle used to be. It doesn't have to be there, particularly, but that's the expected location. Its easier to just put stuff where LEO expects to see it rather than argue about it alongside the road.
  • I'm sure I forgot something.

Last edited:

computer54

Just to make my life easier. You see, the Blazer isn't a trailer queen yet: I have to drive it to/from the trail head. Maybe on a Federal highway once in awhile.

• Mud flaps. Requirement in AZ for a lifted vehicle. An easy bust in Oro Valley as one has to pass thru that "bear's den" to get to the trail.
  • Exhaust pipe. When I transitioned to the 37" tires, I encountered interference at the final 90 degree bend. So I cut it off. Exhausting under the vehicle is a no-no for on-the-road. Gonna run straight out the back after the mufflers. That will allow for axle relo rearward someday.
  • Those pesky turn signals. The little bitty lights I put on the grille are DOT compliant for side markers, so I will assign them to that task. While I consider what to do next, I wired up some magnetic base tow lights, amber both sides, stuck 'em onto the grille guard.
  • Rear license plate location & lighting. Plate is now centered where the pintle used to be. It doesn't have to be there, particularly, but that's the expected location. Its easier to just put stuff where LEO expects to see it rather than argue about it alongside the road.
  • I'm sure I forgot something.
You said it and keep playing in the dirt guy.

bryfor

Did a break job on my m1009 for an out of round drum. During road test had a metallic noise from rear. Secured all cargo and rechecked. ...still there what the heck! I'm pretty thorough but was doubting my work. Then I saw the wd40 can under the bench seat. ...one of the small ones!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks