• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Volvo740turbo

So...my trans is leaking fluid from the front pump seal and or input shaft seal the trans operates normally when fluid os at level...trans shop quoted me 750 to pull it reseal it and install it..my question is what are the thoughts of double8ng the cost to have it rebuild instead of the obvious issues, i feel that changing tje seals is really all i need done honestly..any thoughts?

cucvrus

At this point I would remove the transmission myself and have them rebuild it. That would take about $250. off the price. They are fairly easy to remove with a floor jack and a piece of plywood. But I say have it done right or do it twice and pay twice or more then it would cost to do it right the first time. That is my opinion only. I have them rebuilt for about $500-$750. when on the floor. The transfer case likes to be freshened also.

Volvo740turbo

At this point I would remove the transmission myself and have them rebuild it. That would take about $250. off the price. They are fairly easy to remove with a floor jack and a piece of plywood. But I say have it done right or do it twice and pay twice or more then it would cost to do it right the first time. That is my opinion only. I have them rebuilt for about $500-$750. when on the floor. The transfer case likes to be freshened also.
Well they are asking 750 for the reseal and double that for the rebuild...i would.pull it out myself but weather has not been permitting such action ...so me removing the trans is not really an option till the warmer seasons hit....unfortunately. is it commom for the pump seal to leak at its age?

cucvrus

At this age? It is common for most vehicles to be a Toyota or another Chevrolet truck. I say it needs a complete overhaul. But what do I know? Have a great day. Really it is time to be gone over by a professional.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a bit, that's why my son picks them up now. But to me they are the best, nothing equals the power they put out! At least in my opinion.
Totally agree.

My Hawkers are 90lbs each!
When I rotate them, that back one is oh so much fun to deal with.

rustystud

At this age? It is common for most vehicles to be a Toyota or another Chevrolet truck. I say it needs a complete overhaul. But what do I know? Have a great day. Really it is time to be gone over by a professional.
When he said "at this age ?" I started to laughing so hard I almost peed myself ! Who would have "thunk it" that a transmission that is over 30 years old would need any attention at all ! I have a question for you "volvo740turbo" . How many transmissions do you see going out (bad) after just a few years in service ? How do you think so many transmission shops are in business ? Not to get on your case, but really ? The fact that this transmission has gone this long is a testament to the durability of the TH400 . Not that many transmissions can claim that long of life expectancy.
OK I'll get off your case now.

Volvo740turbo

When he said "at this age ?" I started to laughing so hard I almost peed myself ! Who would have "thunk it" that a transmission that is over 30 years old would need any attention at all ! I have a question for you "volvo740turbo" . How many transmissions do you see going out (bad) after just a few years in service ? How do you think so many transmission shops are in business ? Not to get on your case, but really ? The fact that this transmission has gone this long is a testament to the durability of the TH400 . Not that many transmissions can claim that long of life expectancy.
Well the truck just hit 86,000 miles...i have had a number of 300,000+ mile automatic volvos none of which ever gave me transmission issues..all my other cars are manual trans. Ive actually never ended up with a leaking transmission till the cucv...and it started 7 years after the initial purchase of the truxk

Volvo740turbo

Transmission shops.these days are.mostly in buisness because front wheel.drive transmission cant hold up to v6 power...or they come defective from factory ( honda oddesy)...

pewpewpew

Banned
I'm gutting mine. finish pulling cab, then sand and spray full chassis, redcoat underside of body, probably return it to it's original green(person who resprayed the truck didn't even let the paint full dry before installing weather stripping. the paint in these areas came off with the door seals), revert some interior items back to original, lizard skin the interior, new seats, returning blackout switches to original location, ORD rear shackle flip, 4" front springs to match the rear replace the idiot lights I ruined with cleaner with actual gauges, new engine, rebuild running gear and change ratios and some 37s. I've been working on it after hours for a week or so now. hoping to have it together in April.

View attachment 717876View attachment 717874View attachment 717877

Volvo740turbo

I'm gutting mine. finish pulling cab, then sand and spray full chassis, redcoat underside of body, probably return it to it's original green(person who resprayed the truck didn't even let the paint full dry before installing weather stripping. the paint in these areas came off with the door seals), revert some interior items back to original, lizard skin the interior, new seats, returning blackout switches to original location, ORD rear shackle flip, 4" front springs to match the rear replace the idiot lights I ruined with cleaner with actual gauges, new engine, rebuild running gear and change ratios and some 37s. I've been working on it after hours for a week or so now. hoping to have it together in April.

View attachment 717876View attachment 717874View attachment 717877
Of this year? Haha

cucvrus

bedliner material is toxic in the cab of your truck. it will continue to off gas forever

Who told you that? We spray many vehicles with Line X, Rhino, What ever the customer ask for. It dries in a few seconds and I never smelled a thing in any of mine. Maybe similar smell as a rubber floor mat. I think if they were toxic I would have heard by now. That's a first.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He won't be answering your question.:rules:

He got the permaban today.:hammer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks