• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rustystud

Well the truck just hit 86,000 miles...i have had a number of 300,000+ mile automatic volvos none of which ever gave me transmission issues..all my other cars are manual trans. Ive actually never ended up with a leaking transmission till the cucv...and it started 7 years after the initial purchase of the truxk
Yes you have only 86,000 miles on it, but the seals are still over 30 years old. Time kills all rubber products. Yes the Volvo transmission is a good one, so is the Honda, and Toyota, and Mercedes and on and on and on..... Time still kills seals. What year is your 300,000 mile car ?

rustystud

Transmission shops.these days are.mostly in buisness because front wheel.drive transmission cant hold up to v6 power...or they come defective from factory ( honda oddesy)...
That's not true. Having worked in them I know. We have had transmission shops ever since vehicles came out. Transmissions go out, yes even Volvo ones. I can point you to a few web sites dealing with Volvo transmission problems. Are there vehicles with too much power ? Yes there are, but not many though. Manufactures don't want to "eat" warranty work so they design their vehicles accordingly. Are there problem vehicles ? Of course there are, but they usually get fixed pretty fast. Chevy does come to mind though for sending out vehicles that haven't been fully tested. The 700R4 which became the 4L60 then the 4L60E comes to mind. I have a 600 page book full of retrofits for this transmission alone. Those are the exceptions though. Most vehicles when operated normally work fine for years.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the slip yoke on the NP205 along with the bent driveshaft. It's nice to ride around without a seat massage.

rustystud

Then your due to have some seals go south on you soon. Some pictures of your car and dash would be nice to dispel any doubters out there.
Volvo740turbo, do you have any pictures of your car ? Also a picture of the transmission would be nice. That way I could figure out what model of transmission it has. Some are better then others.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get that?

DIY4x has them for $88.

http://diy4x.com/images/D/Guardsman.JPG
Thats where I got it. I typically do business with ORD ( about $2100 so far), thought I'd give DIY a try. I told them over the phone: " I've never done business with you guys, so I'll order something small to see how it goes." Two day shipping took eight days, and its the wrong part. Says right on the invoice: 14BFF Guardsman- satin black powder coat.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats where I got it. I typically do business with ORD ( about $2100 so far), thought I'd give DIY a try. I told them over the phone: " I've never done business with you guys, so I'll order something small to see how it goes." Two day shipping took eight days, and its the wrong part. Says right on the invoice: 14BFF Guardsman- satin black powder coat.
I'm surprised by this. My dealings with them has always been exemplary.

Chaski

I'm surprised by this. My dealings with them has always been exemplary.
I had an issue with DIY4X about a year ago.
I ordered up a hydraulic assist cylinder mount a few years ago and it was fantastic. Used it on my buddies 1008. Fast forward about a year ago - I order up a second one. The pic on the website was identical to the one I had recieved a few years ago. My order arrives, and they chainged the design without updating the website. The new design had the cylinder mounting point clocked 90 degrees from the old one, and wasn't going to work for me. So I email them to ask if they still have the old design avalible, and crickets chirp. I email them again to get a RMA so I can return it, crickets chirp again. I think I even called them, and basically they just confirmed that they changed designs. So the bracket sits in the scrap pile at a buddies shop, and I now use Ruffstuff since they actually seem to have customer service.

If you do buisness with one place long enough something will get fowled up, the diffrence is how they deal with it.

rodent

I also had an issue with DIY4x recently. I love the products they make but after placing an order for ez-inch 1" blocks, shackle flip with HD shackles, a week goes by and it hasn't shipped. I called them up and Tracy said they were waiting for the EZ inch pins and might be another week. It would have been nice if they told me that. I told her to remove the blocks from the order and just send the flip and HD shackles. Went to put the shackle flip on, no issues. Next the shackles... The holes were too small and I think they sent me the front shackles by mistake, not the rear with 9/16" holes. Had to drill out the holes with a 9/16 bit (I had to buy) on my drill press. Then she messed up and only returned one set of blocks even though I paid for 2 sets. Had to call again and she finally refunded the other set. Simple mistakes but makes it tough when you're in the middle and the truck is torn apart.

Ordered the zero rate blocks from ORD and had them here the next day since I live in Colorado.

Volvo740turbo

Truck went in the shop leaking trans fluid from the pump seal and input dhaft seal.....they said they resealed it took my money and i drove it today and notice its still leaking...im sure i fell victim to a stop leak repair...dropping it back off tomorrow for them to try it again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks