• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

SDJunkMan

The bench seat in an M1009 is a nice option. I had a few I done. They flip front to gain access for rear passengers.
Never thought about a bench. It's my plow truck and I rarely have a passenger, so rear passengers wouldn't be a problem, been thinking about taking out the rear seat anyways.
I've looked at several different GM seats in the PAP and nothing looks like the same shape. I guess I will dismantle the seat first and if it can't be fixed I will look at alternatives. Don't think it is rusted, truck is pretty solid, probably just bent.

Another Ahab

I've looked at several different GM seats in the PAP and nothing looks like the same shape. I guess I will dismantle the seat first and if it can't be fixed I will look at alternatives. Don't think it is rusted, truck is pretty solid, probably just bent.
Funny. But that describes a few people I know...maybe even myself included. :jumpin:

rustystud

Hey Rusty Stud. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

The M1009 seat is completely different than the M1008/M1028 all the truck models. The M1009 has latch 1 point outer side to fold the seat front. The inner pivot point is a shoulder bolt. And yes years of fatigue and abuse have taken the toll on the thin metal frame under the upholstery. Not to mention oversized guys pushing back to seat themselves. I have seen the seat frame work rusted thru on many CUCV variants. Years of wet and leaking windows have taxed the life out of these trucks. Best bet is strip the frame and clean and weld up a reinforcement inside. Have the seat reupholstered or get seats from another vehicle. The bench seat in an M1009 is a nice option. I had a few I done. They flip front to gain access for rear passengers. But Good Luck. Enjoy your day. Cleaning greasing and oiling the seat adjustment mechanisms is always an A + thing to do. A little Real grease and oil go a long way. While your at it enjoy the day with your Family and Friends. Happy Thanksgiving to ALL.
Thanks "cucvrus" . I didn't even think about the differences between the truck and blazer models.
We had a great Thanksgiving today to !
Got a little sick eating to much though ! I've been on a diet for two months trying to drop 50 Ibs for my hernia surgery. So when I ate what I would normally eat at Thanksgiving my stomach said "wait a minute !" I didn't realize how much my stomach has shrunk.
Hope everyone else had a great Thanksgiving today !

cucvrus

DSCF3234 (1).jpgWill it run thru dirt and mud? DSCF3352 (1).jpgYes it will it loves the crud. DSCF3383 (1).jpgWill it wash all nice and clean? DSCF3402 (2).jpgYes it will with a pressure washing machine. I know you will never do this to your CUCV machine. I did it many times and it was better than a Timex. Happy Holidays. :p

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought an M1009 a couple months ago... Just getting around to a couple maintenance items.

I mentioned replacing the vacuum lines and fixing the 'transmission issue', heh.

Did an oil change with full synthetic to help with cold starts. Cranks over quite a bit faster.

Replaced the fuel filter housing with a spin-on, and filled the filter with a mix of seafoam, diesel kleen, and stanadyne....and dumped the remainder of the additives in the tank and filled it up. Definitely picked up some power and cleared up a slight vibration at idle.

I added a one way valve to my spin on filter system for bleeding.. So I can crank it, and fuel/air comes out, and once the air is bled, I can stop cranking, and air won't go back in.

Bought 8 Bosch glow plugs.... 3 of them broke tabs when installing.. Amazon was quick to refund and I ordered 4 more. Definitely better than the Welleman that were in there.

Next up is to bypass the GP resistor, disable the glow plug controller and replace with switch, and run a 4ga wire to the GP relay, and a jumper from the GP relay to the fuse block... because the factory wire is woefully inadequate, IMO. Then I'm gonna move the +24VDC radio wires to the front battery so my rear block is +12VDC.

Miah

Getting new M1009 ready for MO vehicle inspection, so transferring bits off the old one along with a few new things too.

LMC headlight harness & headlights
new non-Dorman turn signal socket & most bulbs
air filter
Datcon 24v voltmeter
cleaned & lubed various grounds & fuses in the fuseblock

Still more to do. After getting everything "done" & it all working, all turn signals quit during test run, then came back. That means more ground checking & possibly issue @ the column itself since i also had high beams not working part of the time. *sigh*

cucvrus

Hi Beams is a piece of cake. Before you tear into it. Get some spray. Electrical contact cleaner. Spray it up into the dimmer switch area. Work the switch back and forth vigorously. That can cure the issue sometimes. If not the replacement is about $20. US and takes an hour or less to replace with the column in place. Tedious but can be done with patience. Same as turn signals. The grease and lubes in the column switch attract a lot of crud over time. Cleaning and lubing does wonders. Good Luck. report back. Happy Holidays. Be Safe.

LT67

Installed a new passenger side alternator belt and a new power steering return line on the 86 M1008. Sounds simple right? WRONG! Someone before me installed a Vintage Air AC kit and it's all jacked up. None of the belts and pulleys line up. The return line fitting on the power steering pump is directly below the AC compressor bracket which makes it almost impossible to get to. An easy 30min job took 2hrs. Grrr..

Btw, the air controls are not hooked up either. The truck only has AC and a vent setting. No heat or defrost. Again, grrr...

cucvrus

I had a Police M1009 back in 2012. Bought it at the local auction. It had this same A/C unit. And yes it was all jacked up. I removed every stich of it and returned it to stock. I think the guys that installed had no mechanical knowledge. Bolts were missing and yes pulley alignment was way off. The belt was off and the system was discharged. To me it did not belong there and I removed it. I know a few years back a member here had the M1009. He posted pictures of it. They drove the truck a total of about 70 miles in 2 years because it was so unreliable. The Police Chief thanked me for buying it. He received a Ford Explorer Utility to replace it. He said it was nothing but trouble and lost all the belts several times. I do know the feeling. I think it would work if properly installed but I wasn't the guy for that job. It was so much easier to remove it and scrap it. Happy Holidays. Good Luck on your current issue.

SDJunkMan

Was out plowing yesterday with the M1009 and lost a hinge pin on the plow which caused me to bend the plows A frame mount. Hopefully I can find a hinge bar in town and fix it today so I can finish plowing. Got 13" Saturday and with the high winds, a lot of drifts.

CUCVRUS, I know you have a lot of plowing experience , any suggestions on hinge pins, I've tried all kinds, but still lose them quite often?

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a new passenger side alternator belt and a new power steering return line on the 86 M1008. Sounds simple right? WRONG! Someone before me installed a Vintage Air AC kit and it's all jacked up. None of the belts and pulleys line up. The return line fitting on the power steering pump is directly below the AC compressor bracket which makes it almost impossible to get to. An easy 30min job took 2hrs. Grrr..

Btw, the air controls are not hooked up either. The truck only has AC and a vent setting. No heat or defrost. Again, grrr...
I recently installed an A/C compressor and brackets on my P400 engine build. I documented the entire process here - https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...build/page31&highlight=kinda+got+carried+away

There were a lot of alignment issues which I had to re-engineer to overcome. Thinking back, I don't see how these issues could have been recognized and corrected with the engine still in the truck.

Miah

While looking for my current toy, i had a chance at a M1009 with a 6.5 turbo & A/C in it. I asked a few questions over the phone then politely told the guy it wasn't the way i wanted to go since i wanted something closer to stock. Sound like i very likely dodged a HUGE bullet on that one!

cucvrus

Was out plowing yesterday with the M1009 and lost a hinge pin on the plow which caused me to bend the plows A frame mount. Hopefully I can find a hinge bar in town and fix it today so I can finish plowing. Got 13" Saturday and with the high winds, a lot of drifts.

CUCVRUS, I know you have a lot of plowing experience , any suggestions on hinge pins, I've tried all kinds, but still lose them quite often?
What are you calling a hinge pin? Picture please?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks