• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

nationsblake2010

Installed the screw on six filter setup, electronic fuel pump and pulled the fuel tank to clean it out. Now searching for a turbo to go with the manifolds I picked up the other day.

RobM36A2

Bought my m1028 a new set of front tires and took it to the shop to get it aligned.
Still preparing for the trip to the UK in 1 week

I have got to get me one of those troop seats and maybe a cargo cover....
Ow, wait, they wont fit, because of the rollbar and lightbar..

Okie Cowboy

I now have a working horn went with a dual air horn setup. I added a 12v outlet. I only have 2 issues left the washer pump and now rear window crank not wanting to work hope it's a simple fix I use it often.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1010 LIVES!

Good/Bad.

Took it to a shop, had them go over it with a fine tooth comb...

They got it started... The IP had some crud it in, some stuck seals, and a leaking seal. They didn't R&R the IP because I told them not to. It's got a tiny leak at the throttle line, but I was told it could stay that way for 10 years, or turn into a 10x worse leak in 10 miles.. I'll save for an IP replacement and do it when i can.

The front battery won't stay charged. I understand it's a DUVAC issue. Lovely.

The radiator is shot.

Basically, with labor, parts, and original cost, I'm into my M1010 about 2K$, so I'll need another grand for the radiator and IP, and probably another grand in misc upgrades/AC/etc..

So, not bad... at least I know where I sit..

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
changed the oil and dropped the trans pan/drained/replaced filter on the M1010.

Weird thing is... there was almost no odor from the trans fluid, and it was still a reddish pink, with almost no particles on the magnet in the pan... But, it had been sitting for at least 6 years so, out it went!

Next up, axles and transfer case!

sochuck

I just installed a 12v accessories port using the 12v feed for the cigarette lighter. So now I can run the GPS on the phone. Well not so much a GPS as much as WAZE. I need to follow my SPEED.

chief1983

There's a specific 12v feed for the stock lighter somewhere? I just tapped a random always-on 12v port on the fuse block. My fuse block is getting a little dangerous anyway, I need to make some more reliable always on/ignition/accessory wiring blocks.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a specific 12v feed for the stock lighter somewhere? I just tapped a random always-on 12v port on the fuse block. My fuse block is getting a little dangerous anyway, I need to make some more reliable always on/ignition/accessory wiring blocks.
I just added a line in from the 12V bus bar above the GP relay- with a fuse of course.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled this out of the oil cooler line. The upstream lines look a little weepy and they serve no purpose anyway.

The guy I bought my antenna brackets from said his failed- spraying hot oil all over the engine compartment and burning the truck to the ground. He said it like it was a common thing. Has anyone had or heard of this happening?

Attachments

chief1983

That looks like the part near where I tapped for my oil pressure sensor. Driver's side of the radiator right? Might be for bleeding though? Either way, I made sure it was tight while I was messing with it. I don't expect mine to go any time soon.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like the part near where I tapped for my oil pressure sensor. Driver's side of the radiator right? Might be for bleeding though? Either way, I made sure it was tight while I was messing with it. I don't expect mine to go any time soon.
I believe it was for sampling the oil. It should have a narrow steel line that runs up to a petcock valve near the coolant overflow. There are several fitting involved in making all that happen, so a few potential failure points of which to be aware.

sochuck

I just added a line in from the 12V bus bar above the GP relay- with a fuse of course.

I suppose what I should say that I used the port that was being used to feed the lighter that was installed on the 1009 ( aka the pickle). I placed a 10a fuse in line with the feed to the Acc box. I am not so sure that these trucks came equipped with lighters or as it seems in the pickle's case just wired in.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
90 degrees here...in Washington!?

Time to head up to the mountains. Put the tent on top today and packed the truck. I'll post some pictures of the campsite when we get back tomorrow night.

TentOn.jpg

Keith_J

Pulled this out of the oil cooler line. The upstream lines look a little weepy and they serve no purpose anyway.

The guy I bought my antenna brackets from said his failed- spraying hot oil all over the engine compartment and burning the truck to the ground. He said it like it was a common thing. Has anyone had or heard of this happening?

Yes, mine was leaking at highway speeds, it was a twisted o-ring that eventually failed. It is a #8 refrigeration o-ring, Viton rubber.

I believe it was for sampling the oil. It should have a narrow steel line that runs up to a petcock valve near the coolant overflow. There are several fitting involved in making all that happen, so a few potential failure points of which to be aware.
Yup - think you are on it. We used to have to take samples for the Army Oil Analysis Program (AOAP) and the older vehicles used to have those sampling ports on them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I am not so sure that these trucks came equipped with lighters or as it seems in the pickle's case just wired in.
The trucks did NOT come from the factory with a cigarette lighter hookup. There is no spot on the fusebox for one. If it has one it was added later.

I believe it was for sampling the oil.
It is indeed an oil sampling port. Some trucks have the port and most do not. It is listed in the Parts and Tech Manual.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks