• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I managed to break an axle shaft. I hope this doesn't cost much more than the 100$ tow back to the house.
How did this happen?

When I switched out all my MVs from deuces to CUCVs, I invested in AAA. Sometimes (not always) it's faster to call them than to self rescue with a towbar or trailer.

Any 81-87 (up to 91 for the blazer and 1/2 ton sub) 4x4 10 bolt axle will work. Check for bearing damage and such.

86k5

How did this happen?

When I switched out all my MVs from deuces to CUCVs, I invested in AAA. Sometimes (not always) it's faster to call them than to self rescue with a towbar or trailer.

Any 81-87 (up to 91 for the blazer and 1/2 ton sub) 4x4 10 bolt axle will work. Check for bearing damage and such.

I was crossing a small road ditch into a harvested wheat field ..... I think that back tire got pinched in the fender and when I accelerated I heard the noise of that axle shaft shearing off. Thanks for the info on the axle year and size. I will replace wheel bearing while I'm at it. 4x4 should not have been needed it was dry and a small ditch. But when I heard it break I had to lock it in to back it back out on the country road.

SRB1976

Went on a 4 wheel drive expedition through the Snowy Range mountains. It was about a 20 mile or so trip through the backcountry. The M1009 did excellent. The only damage I incurred was a broken antenna on some low tree branches.

P7180296.jpgP7180299.jpgP7180302.jpgP7180313.jpgP7180316.jpg
P7180317.jpgP7180323.jpgP7180329.jpgP7180333.jpgP7180318.jpg

New alt as one from rare electric died after about a year and a half, and rebuilt the tailgate after realizing summit racing tailgate was too narrow. Can't tell you how happy I am to have an easy to crank working tailgate. Also threw I. The towel on electrical gremlins so dropped it off at the shop to be squared away a beefed up to handle a snow plow that's I. The near future.

RobM36A2

Took my M1028 to the UK. Performed like it should, and used not a single drop of oil on the whole trip.
Cruising speed about 52-53 mph.
Only thing is, keeps slipping out out 4wd, maybe I should adjust the linkage?

UK 2014 002.jpg UK 2014 006.jpg

Last edited:

True Knight

Took my M1028 to the UK. Performed like it should, and used not a single drop of oil on the whole trip.
Cruising speed about 52-53 mph.
Only thing is, keeps slipping out out 4wd, maybe I should adjust the linkage?
That is usually the shift fork inside the transfer case. When it gets worn down it will cause it to slip out of 4wd. The part itself was about $80. Plus whatever labor it takes to remove/ open up the transfer case.

RobM36A2

That is usually the shift fork inside the transfer case. When it gets worn down it will cause it to slip out of 4wd. The part itself was about $80. Plus whatever labor it takes to remove/ open up the transfer case.
I do not believe it is the shift fork, but the linkage.
When shifting to 4wd, the indicator light goes on very late and i feel the shift only 2 millimetres from the 4wd locking position.

I painted mine gray to match the rest of our trucks. Went with flat behr though. Will be leaving for a road trip to gather all the parts needed to convert to a 4" lifted on 37s dually with a wrecker bed.

Brett

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted mine gray to match the rest of our trucks. Went with flat behr though. Will be leaving for a road trip to gather all the parts needed to convert to a 4" lifted on 37s dually with a wrecker bed.

Brett
Wrecker bed sounds cool. Working on a similar project only mine will take quite a bit of time. What bed are you using?

Wrecker bed sounds cool. Working on a similar project only mine will take quite a bit of time. What bed are you using?
Its a custom bed from a late 70s chevy. Has a Braden pto winch but will probably convert it to an electric or hydraulic due to having a 208 instead of 205. If you check out bsf recovery team or go to YouTube and search recoveryteam, you'll see the inspiration for my build.

brett

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well familiar with BSF. His bed is a Nomar. Mine is a Holmes 1100 but it won't much resemble one when done. I am converting my truck to the sm465/205 combo to run the hydraulics. I do have a ranger torque splitter for it too.

Well familiar with BSF. His bed is a Nomar. Mine is a Holmes 1100 but it won't much resemble one when done. I am converting my truck to the sm465/205 combo to run the hydraulics. I do have a ranger torque splitter for it too.
Thats going to be slick when it's done! If I had a hyd winch I could justify figuring out the hyd and add a ram to raise the boom. According to the seller, it is chain drive. As it is now, the boom is cable operated and has a manual extendable boom section. I don't plan on using it for many recoveries. Really looking for the lifting capabilities and the possibilities of adding larger gin poles to aid in the building of my shop!

the bsf truck is awesome!

brett

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a Holmes 440. For what it's worth, the exact same boom assembly was marketed with an electric winch and was billed as a 220. I'll start us a wrecker thread to follow the builds.

Sounds like a Holmes 440. For what it's worth, the exact same boom assembly was marketed with an electric winch and was billed as a 220. I'll start us a wrecker thread to follow the builds.
Let me know what you start us a thread. I think your right about me getting a Holmes 440 but the boom raises by a hand winch on the passenger side. Where did you find all your info? I wish there was a site half as useful for the wreckers as SS is.

brett

RobM36A2

The way you wrote that makes me wonder....

Are you cruising about 52 - 53 MPH in 4WD?
Nope, cruising speeds was in 2WD.
On site in the UK I needed 4WD.
when shifter is in the 4WD position it slips 3 mm back and I lose 4WD.

Got another problem now, the transfercase started leaking a bit.. color is red and smells like ATF.
Leak is at the output shaft for the Front axle. Not much, but after standing for a couple hours, there are some drops on the ground.

Things always break after I come back from vacation....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks