• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

LT67

It was the last ride for the ole worn out 6.2 diesel. Drove it down to the shop to drop it off. When it comes back it'll have a Vortec 350 in it.

* When I bought the 86' M1008 in June 2018, I knew I was eventually going to have to swap out the engine. I can't complain, I got 5yrs out of the ole 6.2 diesel. Good times..

Attachments

Spence

Busy weekend cleaning, disassembling, more cleaning, painting, and assembling. Waiting on the thrust button and spring for the injection pump to arrive before I finish assembling and get some use out of the M1010 this fall.

Attachments

Marauder4

I came across a vast conspiracy today! It seems that the Novita folks who make an electromagnetic flasher module for these trucks got together with Chevy back in 1984 and conspired to make adding LED lights to the trucks difficult. I put in an EL12 flasher module for the flashers. They work great now, but the headlights don't. I put in a second EL12 for the hazards, and the headlights still don't work. Those two got together and plotted against me!!1!
rofl

Spence

I got the M1010 engine assembled and running, but it only runs for a minute or so before dying. Added a clear line to the return on the injection pump and see a ton of bubbles come in right before it dies. The tank and sending unit are new and full of diesel, i replaced the rubber lines from the sending unit to the metal lines, and see no diesel leaking anywhere. This is going to be fun to hunt down.

LT67

The mech went to swap the cam in the Vortec 350 and the front bearing looked a lil suspect. We decided to play it safe and put in new cam bearings. The rod and main bearings were good to go. I'm getting anxious to get the Vortec swapped in...

*i decided to swap in the same hydraulic roller cam that's used in the Ramjet 350 and HT383 crate engines. It'll make a difference in bottom to mid range torque along with a custom tune on the ECU.

Spence

I spent my free time this week pulling the tank and fuel lines from my M1010. I bent some 3/8” steel line to replace the rusty originals and also replaced the rubber hoses (except the molded one that goes from frame to lift pump). After installing and priming the system, it has been running well! Now, I can get onto using the vehicle and start building it out!

Spence

I spent my free time this week pulling the tank and fuel lines from my M1010. I bent some 3/8” steel line to replace the rusty originals and also replaced the rubber hoses (except the molded one that goes from frame to lift pump). After installing and priming the system, it has been running well! Now, I can get onto using the vehicle and start building it out!
And the truck is back to dying on me. It seems to be starving for fuel. New lift pump, new tank and sending unit, new lines and hoses, new fuel filter, fresh diesel, etc. I don’t want to replace the lift pump unless I can definitively prove it is faulty. Back to the drwing board.

nd1775

Starting a new thread. The old one has 3895 posts and is a llittle bloated.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ave-you-done-to-your-CUCV-today-lately-Part-1

Keep on posting

DO NOT post questions about your issues in this thread.
Replaced my '85 M1009 Starter that was having issues. Went in just fine, not sure what all the "it's a 6 pack of beer job" fuss was all about.

Then realized I've been starting, wheeling and cross-country driving her around these last two years without a starter bracket.

Now the pursuit of parts begins.

Attachments

Spence

I found the culprit. A few of the bends I made in the hardline were kinked off. I made a new set with a better bending tool and it now runs well. Drove it to work today.
I drove the truck to work today. It drove great! On the way home, it died on the highway and I had zero electrical. No lights with ignition on, etc. After poking around under the hood, I decided it would be best to tow home instead of starting an electrical fire on the side of the highway. I plan to go over the harness tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s just one of the wires to the starter that needs better routing. Seemed to be the case from my initial look.

Spence

Replaced my '85 M1009 Starter that was having issues. Went in just fine, not sure what all the "it's a 6 pack of beer job" fuss was all about.

Then realized I've been starting, wheeling and cross-country driving her around these last two years without a starter bracket.

Now the pursuit of parts begins.
I also need to get one of those brackets. Someone deleted it before I got the truck. It’s important for the 6.2, so I will add that to the list of parts.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove the truck to work today. It drove great! On the way home, it died on the highway and I had zero electrical. No lights with ignition on, etc. After poking around under the hood, I decided it would be best to tow home instead of starting an electrical fire on the side of the highway. I plan to go over the harness tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s just one of the wires to the starter that needs better routing. Seemed to be the case from my initial look.
I had the same problem once. It ended up being a missing ground wire from the cab to frame. Good luck.

Spence

I had the same problem once. It ended up being a missing ground wire from the cab to frame. Good luck.
I had some time this evening to dig into the truck and found that the big positive wire to the starter was shorting out on the heat shield between the starter and manifold. A big storm came in and made me call it a day. Tomorrow, I plan to repair the issues and get it running again.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had some time this evening to dig into the truck and found that the big positive wire to the starter was shorting out on the heat shield between the starter and manifold. A big storm came in and made me call it a day. Tomorrow, I plan to repair the issues and get it running again.
Oh. Good thing you found that. I had a pack rat chew on my starter wire. he died from the 24 volts but then the wire grounded to the frame. That ended up frying my alternators and a few fusible links until I found the grounded wire.

Good luck. I'm glad you found the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks