• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

2HIJOS2126

I got some extra goodies mounted on my M1028... Mounted a big ammo can behind my spare tire that holds my recovery gear... Mounted two jerry cans in the rear of my bed opposite my spare tire... Also mounted my Hi-Lift jack and a small shovel on my safari rack... Gonna get some of the stuff painted and then I'll post up some pics...

Baer

Looks like I need to find some extra trailer bows to take a closer look. With the bed of the M1008 being a little longer I may have to run some horizontal pieces at the top corners and center to add more structure and keep the netting from sagging. Now to find a trailer or two...

JSF01

I sanded my front bumper hoping to reveal some of the originalbumper numbers. When I had been getting ready to paint the bumper there wassome chips in the paint peeling which I had taken my knife to knock the chipsaway. It ended up pealing a decent sized bit of paint so I tried again to knockthe loose paint away. Same thing happened but I noticed that the action hadrevealed some stenciling. so I spent the next hour or two trying to reveal theoriginal bumper numbers. Unfortunately I was only able to reveal fully the driver'sside which read "DPU 6" on the passenger side I had only been able toreveal the last 3 letters which was "TRP". I asked the guy at theArmey transportation museum have what they could have stood for but he did notknow. I than asked my father and the only thing he could tell me was the 6 meantit was probably some commanders vehicle And the only thing he could come upwith for "TRP" was troop. Unfortunately for me my sanding was afailure at revealing mire. Does any one have any guesses on which either ofthem may stand for?
Bumper pics 013.jpgBumper pics 015.jpg

twlinks

Looks like I need to find some extra trailer bows to take a closer look. With the bed of the M1008 being a little longer I may have to run some horizontal pieces at the top corners and center to add more structure and keep the netting from sagging. Now to find a trailer or two...
Yeah, I would think you would need three of them on a M1008 bed. You'll be surprised though how solid they are once they are bolted down to the bed though. I added a few bolts and nuts on the bows which also added to the rigidity. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding extra bows out there. Good luck.

TBob

Today it was front brakes, bearings, seals. Rear brakes, rear drums. New Warn lockouts....driver side inner bearing was shot, have been driving with one side locked in, and one out. Gah. Money money money... so much work to do yet.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went outside just now and noticed a puddle of coolant beginning to form under the radiator. While that may help with the stray cat problem in the neighborhood, it can't be good for the truck. Ugh. It looks like it's coming from somewhere in the middle of the rad, like where the tank connects to the cooling fins. I suspect this isn't going to be cheap.

TBob

I went outside just now and noticed a puddle of coolant beginning to form under the radiator. While that may help with the stray cat problem in the neighborhood, it can't be good for the truck. Ugh. It looks like it's coming from somewhere in the middle of the rad, like where the tank connects to the cooling fins. I suspect this isn't going to be cheap.
I bought a new all aluminum radiator here for my 1986 M1009: http://www.genesisautoparts.com/ Was around $175 shipped to my door. I put a post about it somewhere. Perfect fit

Last edited:

TBob

Thanks! Good price but which one did you get? I dont see 6.2 on there.
Here is Warthogs post where I found mine,
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...commendation&p=1243739&viewfull=1#post1243739

When you get to the page, click the 6.2 and you'll see the choices. I used the 3 row, it seems to have gone up a bit, looks to be $193 now, but you can find discount codes online.

The direct link to the radiator is http://www.genesisautoparts.com/all_aluminum_radiator-chevrolet-blazer-1985-6.2l_v8_379.htm

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is Warthogs post where I found mine,
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...commendation&p=1243739&viewfull=1#post1243739

When you get to the page, click the 6.2 and you'll see the choices. I used the 3 row, it seems to have gone up a bit, looks to be $193 now, but you can find discount codes online.

The direct link to the radiator is http://www.genesisautoparts.com/all_aluminum_radiator-chevrolet-blazer-1985-6.2l_v8_379.htm
OK, thanks. It looks like they're "coming soon" and not currently available. Dang.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Click my direct link above...both radiators in stock
ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR 2 ALUMINUM ALUM $216.24
ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR 3 ALUMINUM ALUM $193.00
Thanks TBob, but is the two row ok? Are you seeing the three row in stock? I thought maybe it was Firefox on my laptop that was having a problem, but here at work on Explorer it's the same; "Coming soon".

3Row.jpg

Last edited:

DXTAC

Replaced the transmission vacuum regulator valve. Shifting into third at 45mph was getting old!?!? LOL A couple of modulator adjustments and we're back on the road shifting at a MUCH more pleasurable speeds.

Now thinking about a turbo unit?!?!?!

KevinsM1009

Found REAL issue with DRVRS Alt..Loose rectifier output stud..Stopped by rebuild shop that did work on this Alt Winter 2012, showed them & yanked it myself to save $$ on labor. They do good work, think vibration may have taken toll on it.. OL IRON & I are going there tomorrow after work, swapping Alts side 4 side and getting Output lead crimp on connector replaced after "dis-assembly" that occurred during "non-standard tightening procedure" used to attempt to fix looseness...

TBob

Sorry, you're right...the 3 row is out of stock....I missed that.

Today...I cut the **** parking brake cable. Will replace someday. Today my fuel gauge decided to stop working a few weeks after replacing the fuel sending unit. Had a 1/4 tank, put another $40 in it...didn't move. Shut it off for awhile, and showed correctly went I started it to go to town. About halfway there the needle dropped all the way to the left......then the speedo went to 75 and stayed there, bouncing between 50 and 75...while I was doing about 30. Still does it. Gah...so frustrating.

Baer

Has anyone figured out that half of what we do for our CUCV's any given day is reading these threads to figure out what we are going to do or not do in the future?

Durango_USMC

Has anyone figured out that half of what we do for our CUCV's any given day is reading these threads to figure out what we are going to do or not do in the future?
Yes.

Ordered tires today :-D wont be here until the end of next week or the beginning of the week after (just in time for the fourth of July). Ordered new oil pan gasket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks