• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Baer

I don't need tires just yet (my M1008 isn't deadlined just yet) but what size tires? On another SS thread I read about changing tire size to increase your top end speed. Any one want to comment pros and cons?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, you're right...the 3 row is out of stock....I missed that.
They wrote back to me and let me know that they don't have an ETA for them. I think I'll do the unthinkable and just pour some stop-leak in there to hold me over until the 3-row radiators are in stock again.

86m1028

1st step to fixing my m1028 permenantly.

Removed 6.2 & replacing it with a 5.7 & 4l80.

Im not replacing an ip at 29k.
6.2 is going to scrap.

Last edited:

86m1028

Nope, I'm in Texas & your closer to El Paso than I am :)

Motor is low mileage & runs good but
when you let off the throttle it dies.
Motor only had 29k on it. Truck is clean.
Everyone says its the ip.
I'm not buying one to find out.

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

I don't need tires just yet (my M1008 isn't deadlined just yet) but what size tires? On another SS thread I read about changing tire size to increase your top end speed. Any one want to comment pros and cons?
I'm going with BFG TA/KO's in P235/85R16, surprisingly they were one of the cheaper options. Theres a few threads in here on tire size. I need to replace the front springs at some point though, theyre sagging pretty good.

Last edited:

KevinsM1009

TBob,
Had an issue with my Whole Dashboard a while ago.. Fuel would slowly drop, one directional would light up when lights were on, bulbs themselves wouldn't always work.. Pain in the A** but, took WHOLE dash apart, went over ALL bulb Contacts & Circuit Traces with razor knife and Emery Cloth to clean off 25 yrs of oxidation(12/85 is mfg date of my M1009). ALSO VERY IMPORTANT: When Reinserting Dash Connector of Harness INTO Dash Assembly itself, ENSURE that ALL traces of circuit on Dash are in their Respective places... Found That 4 or 5 of mine on the plastic trace WERE LOOSE & getting stuck into other connector places on Harness plug/cavity, Had 2 fuses blow during troubleshooting, luckily didn't fry anything else..As far as Speedo goes, Try some spray lube(Deep Creep(a Sea-Foam product, $9-11.00 a can but is the best thing I have found for really Freeing up anything in a Junkyard or on OL' IRON)or PB'laster or some such) INTO the dash plug-in of you speedo cable & into top of cable itself. Helped mine out a lot.. Haven't finished putting Dash face plate(S) back onto sub-assembly, when my cable starts to jump around 35-50, a few taps directly on the speedo face, re-seats the cable and it settles right back down. Maybe when full assembly is completed it will be permanently settled but it works .. hope this is beneficial.
Oh, yeah, reinstalled PSSNGR Alt fresh from rebuild shop on Fri.. Loose Diode Trio was causing whole host of problems with idiot lights flickeriness/dimness so much nicer to have THAT problem from out of in front of my face. After swapping Alts, found that the other one(PSSNGR, Now DRVR Alt) is starting to show dimness.. This one never received a rebuild so that will happen before Winters' Return.

Last edited:

TBob

Thanks KevinsM1009
Looks like the previous owner was screwing around in the dash. Missing screws, loose...yadayada.
I may replace the whole thing due to cracked cover, stripped holes, and whatnot. For now, I'll try your suggestions. Thank you

What a mess. :)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, I'm in Texas & your closer to El Paso than I am :)

Motor is low mileage & runs good but
when you let off the throttle it dies.
Motor only had 29k on it. Truck is clean.
Everyone says its the ip.
I'm not buying one to find out.
If your scraping it I'll take it. I need to replace a one that has a brroken crankshaft

Sergeant1983

Installed the Nastalgic air conditioning kit for my m1009, but used a stand alone evaporator between the front seats so I could leave my dash stock. It puts out 1800 BTU instead of 1500 BTU. Picture is with the passenger seat full forward and the drivers seat full back.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the Nastalgic air conditioning kit for my m1009, but used a stand alone evaporator between the front seats so I could leave my dash stock. It puts out 1800 BTU instead of 1500 BTU.
That's seriously cool, but how did you get your '09 to stand on end?

Sergeant1983

Another attempt to place pics in so they show up right side up. Best about the between seat evaporator is my coffee cup keeps its spot. Also installation is a lot easier. The 4 vents can be pointed in any direction. All the controls are in the evaporator between the top 2 vents. Since its wired into the fuse box, you have to turn the AC off before you turn the engine off or the engine keeps running. Maybe I should not have deviated from the instructions of connecting straight to the battery with the inline fuse.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

2HIJOS2126

I got some extra goodies mounted on my M1028... Mounted a big ammo can behind my spare tire that holds my recovery gear... Mounted two jerry cans in the rear of my bed opposite my spare tire... Also mounted my Hi-Lift jack and a small shovel on my safari rack... Gonna get some of the stuff painted and then I'll post up some pics...
Heres some pics of how my M1028 sits now... I also Herculined the rocker panels and added a couple of orange flashing lights this weekend...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks