• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

I_Publius

Patience, Grasshopper, patience. ;)

Nope...not yet...

I'm concerned about the wiring and want to make sure it's not all jacked up. After my radiator hoses arrive, I'll change out the coolant and then get brave with the electrical. Maybe it will cool off this weekend and I can attempt it. :)

ryan77

Today i picked up a set of speakers from the junk yard and a cd player! Installed it in the m1008! Its my Beats by Sanford and Son audio system!!

rsh4364

odometer turned 79k today,bought in 4-2012,with 65k.we had a rocky start (runaway starter)But now we have been blissfully in love for lots of miles,We have decided shes worth investing some more $ into,bodywork and paint and a stereo system! and a soft top..

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always called the CUCV the 'Chick Repellant Vehicle' because whenever someone is selling one the reason they give for selling is, "My wife hates it" or, "My wife won't ride in it."

My wife was on the fence about mine until we took it camping. Now she says I can't get rid of it! Washington has miles and miles of old logging roads in all manner of condition. Some are smooth, some are potholed, others are so overgrown nobody ever ventures down them.

We enjoy driving down some of the brushy overgrown ones, exploring and seeing where they go. Some just peter out (long drive backwards) others just to cul-de-sac with enough room to turn around. The cul-de-sac ones make great campgrounds with total privacy. We've been going into the Olympics frequently and the last time out we discovered a new campsite, so we went there this weekend.

For this one we needed the ground clearance and the paint's resistance to brush, as the road (?) in was pretty primitive. At the end we found a excellent little camp site amongst the daises. Not a place I'd want to bring my Grand Cherokee or Liberty. The bonus is that there's enough dead wood for a few dozen campfires, and even a hillside for a backstop for pistol shooting.

CampSite2a.jpgCampSite3a.jpgCampSite1a.jpg

tankie88

Only thing i can say is chief,it took me about 45 mins to do.The most time consuming thing was getting the old bushings out on each end.I just cut the rubber off on one side of each old bushing and pushed then out with a vice and socket.The new ones are the 3 piece bushings from LMC.Didn't even have to take the wheels off.

I_Publius

NOS upper and lower radiator hoses came into today. I will finally be able to empty the radiator, flush it, fill 'er up, and try to get her started. She will have almost all new fluids, minus the brake fluid. I'm getting antsy and hope she will fire up fairly easily.

I_Publius

I attempted to start Whitey again, but still the starter would not turn over.

I decided to pull the starter and take it to a shop to see if it was good, after
I attempted to turn the gear inside the starter by hand and I could not budge it, so it might be frozen up. The shop I brought it is in Lewisville, Texas and has been doing this for 35 years or more.

I will try it again next week.

I_Publius

I got my rebuilt starter back this afternoon. I found out that the CUCV had been converted to 12V and the starter is a 12v.

Now that the starter is rebuilt, it is about time to go and try to start her again.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375734193.672757.jpg

ryan77

Blew a hole in radiator got a new copper one from Oreillys for $280 plus tax!! This sucker is heavy!!

Durango_USMC

The M1008 has become my daily driver... my car self destructed. I keep having to adjust that driverside rear brake drum though. It keeps tightening up and sticking the brake on. I'm still trying to figure out why its doing that.

85CUCVtom

So I attempted to do my front brakes and overhaul the hubs and lockouts. Ended up having to replace the hub bodies and the bearings. They looked pretty rough. Then noticed that the threads on the spindle were pretty messed up, looks like the anti-rotational washer cracked, spun and took out a few threads. Also found the front u-joints loose. This weekend got expensive really quick.

ryan77

Fuel pump started leaking from the seam picked up a new one and through it in! What a treat that job was! Touched up some carc and drove it!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks