• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Durango_USMC

Did a test drive since replacing the vacuum lines, still wont shift into 3rd.

Gen 2 light some how started working propperly, but noiw Gen 1 light comes on after start up for a few seconds then shut off, neither one lit up on restart, but that could be because the engine was still warm and wait light went off after a split second then I started it. I'll have to look again when I get home. The voltmeter is still inoperable, although I thought the voltmeter pretty much had to work if the Gen 2 light worked?

I got the pintle hitch back in action, greased it really well at the zerk and PB blaster at all the moving parts.

I still need an alignment but didn't get smacked with death wobble this go around (thankfully!).

Also removed a wasp nest from the bed. I'm starting to really hate those little buggers.

Red_506

My 1009 decided it didn't want to start properly after normally firing almost immediately. I have diagnosed the problem, and it seems as though the filter element is the culprit. Will be changing that out next weekend as his weekend is pretty much booked solid.

Dirty1

Plowboy and sandbar, I am envious! Soon, soon. Maybe. As for my 08, I pulled off the baby blue dash pad and am about ready to clean up the gauges and put on the black dash pad. Next is a coolant flush and replacement of the hoses.

hunderliggur

Found out how heavy it is when I ran it out of fuel coming back from Findlay. We were 1/4 mile from the gas station. Thanks to two Good Samaritans we got it pushed out of rush hour traffic. Refueled, changed the fuel filter, primed and go. Got some good stuff at Findlay including a Jerry Can that works just fine ;-)

K9Vic

Took my M1009 on a 180 mile total road trip to get a Safari roof rack for my Suburban CUCV clone and had to do a road side repair. When I go to my destination I noticed that my rear axle was leaking and spayed all over the tail gate, so I had to fill it with about a quart of oil. Really sucks when it is 6pm on a Sunday in east Texas with no parts store open. So I just used some heavy weight motor oil to get by and will fix it later in the week. I probably could have found a Walmart, but that was 10 miles over in the next town and was able bandage it where I was.

Anyways, always good to do a check over on road trips and always carry your basic tools.
Fixed my "9" bolt rear axle on Thursday evening so I can drive it this weekend to the 4 Wheel Parts Truck and Jeep Fest in Dallas. Yes it is really a 10 bolt rear axle, but one of the bolt ends was sheared off. It was one of the top driver side bolts so the oil at high speeds was spaying out through the open bolt hole. Took me about an hour to get the broken bolt out, but I was able to get it. I broke an easy out after drilling the hole to use it, but that seemed to move it loose. After that I used a wire cutter to grip enough of the broken end to turn it out. Wow, what a PITA that repair was. I have no idea how it broke, but all my bolts where there when I last service it.

So I drive it to work today and all is well, no holes in the covers so it was just that broken bolt that was the leaking/spraying oil.

Not a very good picture, but this was taken just after I did the roadside repair/fill of the rear axle.

Attachments

Last edited:

stationjj

I finally got a new Civi top with a roof rack installed. I bought this civi top about 8 months ago. My welder let me do a payment plan on the build out.

The civi top with tinted windows, sliding windows and adjustable vent really made a difference with the heat. I had a welder custom build me a roof rack with removable Ammo cans for storage. Very cool.

The inside of the top needs some heavy duty cleaning. I spent several hours today cleaning the sap and dirt off the windows. I have got to clean and seal the inside of the top. We did about 5 coats of CARC OD Green on the top. It was just soaking in the paint.

Below is what everyone is waiting for pictures.

IMG_0517.jpgIMG_0518.jpgIMG_0519.jpgIMG_0520.jpgIMG_0521.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a "What I have done" thread not a "how do I do this" thread. Please start a new thread asking your question (or search for an existing one). Also asking the same question in multiple threads is not allowed. It is called cross-posting and usually gets you a warning .

truck1

Installed a new front output shaft yoke/flange and oil seal on my 1028 transfer case. Old yoke was toast.Now I know why the leak got progressively worse.Those NOS yoke/flanges are scarce, but I lucked out and found one locally!:naner:

Durango_USMC

Not necessarily a what I did to it... but rather a what I did for it. Progressive wanted $550+ to insure full coverage (on just theM1008) for 6 months on my M1008 because it was a military vehicle they sold me a liability policy for $60 in February. But I dont like liability only and progressive jacked my rates up again now that its time to renew. Ive been with them for 7 years and they pushed me over the edge. Called Geico just to see if theyd touch it. Full coverage for it and my two other cars for $200 less for the 6 month term!

Getting ready to swap in the new CDR valve tonight and see about starting this epic kingpin rebuild.

Red_506

The reason they rape you is because Progressive is exactly what their name says, Progressive. They are one of the biggest libtard company's on the planet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks