• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Dozer11B

I must say, whether you all know it or not, the posts and stickys on this site have helped greatly. Thanks, and I will let you know how it goes. Cheers!
THIS!

Got my wiper arms back in. Cleaned the corrosion out of the windshield washer "nozzles" and got them to spray a nice volume, but they spray inconsitantly so I think it's the switch on the column (I also have turn signal issues there). I had two bends in one of the arms so I used a rubber mallet, light taps from a baby sledge and a little brute force to straighten it as best I could without jacking anything up permanently. I used rust reforming primer on the linkage and windshield nozzles and jammed lithium grease into all the joints. Screwed up and put the linkage arm to the motor on backwards so I had to pull the cowl and everything to set it right.

Wipers are still slow as well and I only have one speed it seems. No squeaking anymore though!

While I was waiting for the paint to dry on the linkage I put larger self-tapping bolts into my license plate and finished my fuel can. I put a small stripe of yellow to mark it for diesel.

Attachments

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fiddled around a little with my M1009.

Does anyone know what this is for? Should it be hanging loose like it is? I looked through the manuals but I don't see mention of it.

Four pin plug back by the bell housing and trans dipstick:

Connector.jpgConnector2.jpg

unaffiliated

This past Thursday, I replaced the steering shock as a precautionary measure to try and cure the death wobble. It only does it every now and then and I have learned how to quickly get it under control and to avoid it all together. I drove the truck 195 miles that day, then 150 on Friday, another 170 on Saturday and 50 or so today. I would say she is broken in since the engine was re-installed. New shocks are the next order of business, then new front rotors, calipers, pads, etc.

the skull

Been lurking a while, I put the 2 switches for the blackout lights in the 1008 today. I got
lights now!!!! And the horn works!!! I didn't know how much stuff goes through the
headlight switches on these trucks.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been lurking a while, I put the 2 switches for the blackout lights in the 1008 today. I got
lights now!!!! And the horn works!!! I didn't know how much stuff goes through the
headlight switches on these trucks.
Purchase the Lmc truck headlight relay kit, way to much goes through the switch and fuse assembly at full power. It takes 30 minutes to install and will save you many times over

the skull

Swiss, I'm sure I will. It's not in the 73-87 catalog, I found it in the 68-72 catalog.
I used a very similar harness on Hondas to put in HID headlights, no problems
and lots of peace of mind. One less thing to worry about.
"Note" my switches were missing.

K9Vic

Swiss, I'm sure I will. It's not in the 73-87 catalog, I found it in the 68-72 catalog.
I used a very similar harness on Hondas to put in HID headlights, no problems
and lots of peace of mind. One less thing to worry about.
"Note" my switches were missing.
Yes it is in the 73-87 catalog; page 80 (page # may change with newer catalogs). Both single and dual headlights, for the CUCV it would be single 36-3580.

You should also look at the Headlight circuit sticky
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?87544-CUCV-Headlight-Circuit

Also this post has good info explaining to cut the diode on the horn relay
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...y-headlight-fuse-melting&highlight=horn+relay

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figured out why my M1010 was cranking so slow...

The guy who is rebuilding it said it's probably dragging on the coils(?) too....

Also noticed the solenoid wire had been cut and soldered back together, and one of the mounts on the starter was crushed..Which tells me someone pulled the starter, and shoved it back in there....and probably tightened up with an air gun....

...But with only 18k miles........ Has me wondering...

Attachments

the skull

We had an extremely slow day at work, so I worked on the truck this afternoon.
Did the Doghead relay, cleaned battery cables and grounds. Tightened belts,
checked bulbs, fixed wires. I think alt 2 is slow, no gen2 light, and the bulb
checked out good with an ohmmeter. Man I can't wait to get this thing home.
She's a work in progress....

the skull

FINALLY drove it home today. :naner:First real drive over 2 miles. Stopped halfway home,
checked everything and brought it home. I know 25 miles isn't a big trip, but it was
with a truck I don't know much about. But.....we made it!!!
Doesn't matter I drove 45-55 mph. Even did a hot restart, fired up like it was nothing.
Drove really well, just tire vibration, who cares about that?
The neighbor checked it out & even offered to weld in patch panels !!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Planning is complete. Now in the midst of the gathering phase of a 465 swap in one of the trucks.

RobM36A2

Went to pick up a car for a buddy of mine, car transporter on the hitch and loaded up.
fuel economy goes south when pulling onto the highway or driving in town..

unaffiliated

Went to pick up a car for a buddy of mine, car transporter on the hitch and loaded up.
fuel economy goes south when pulling onto the highway or driving in town..
Yep. My fuel mileage drops from 15.4 down to 12something when towing a car on the trailer. I'm not complaining too much though, because it tows a 1500lb trailer and 3500+lb Mercedes with ease.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks