• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

Today an old customer (friend) stopped by that I sold an M1028 to about 5 years ago. He said he was having trouble starting it in the morning. I said well it is not cold yet. What are you going to do when it gets cold. Well anyway I opened the hood and could smell diesel fuel. I looked and it was wet under the OEM fuel filter. I removed the fuel filter and changed the pressure switch. The pressure switch was leaking. Changed the filter also. I then noticed that the ballast resistors were removed. And I ask him what happened there. He said that he removed them because a friend told him he did not need them. I said yea right. OK. I ask if he wanted to replace them. He said if I think it should be there to replace it. I told him every CUCV I have and had still ran as designed and I am never walking or went without a vehicle. I put a new Ballast resistor set on for him. I had to install new riv-nuts because they were also taken off the fire wall. His left belt was like a rubber band and he said it squealed every time he started it. I put a new belt on. I told him with the new resistor in place the alternators will share the charging after a cold start. I may be wrong but 30 years of working on them is all I have to rely on. We finished with a few beers and a hand shake. He traded me a case of ice cold long necks and departed. Win Win situation

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opening up the kingpin covers again to install the new springs PLUS the old washers. Its just a machine, it can't win...........

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today an old customer (friend) stopped by that I sold an M1028 to about 5 years ago. He said he was having trouble starting it in the morning. I said well it is not cold yet. What are you going to do when it gets cold. Well anyway I opened the hood and could smell diesel fuel. I looked and it was wet under the OEM fuel filter. I removed the fuel filter and changed the pressure switch. The pressure switch was leaking. Changed the filter also. I then noticed that the ballast resistors were removed. And I ask him what happened there. He said that he removed them because a friend told him he did not need them. I said yea right. OK. I ask if he wanted to replace them. He said if I think it should be there to replace it. I told him every CUCV I have and had still ran as designed and I am never walking or went without a vehicle. I put a new Ballast resistor set on for him. I had to install new riv-nuts because they were also taken off the fire wall. His left belt was like a rubber band and he said it squealed every time he started it. I put a new belt on. I told him with the new resistor in place the alternators will share the charging after a cold start. I may be wrong but 30 years of working on them is all I have to rely on. We finished with a few beers and a hand shake. He traded me a case of ice cold long necks and departed. Win Win situation

You may may have to revoke his ownership privileges and subsequently repo the vehicle if this behavior continues :). I hope he calls you next time somebody has a suggestion on improvements.

forest522

Spent a whole day on the ole sweetheart spiffing up wiring and cleaning up the grime and grease. Not spick and span yet, but cleaner. Got a great deal on Rotella from O...y's...$13.99 a gallon!! I feel like a prepper - stocked up with 6 gallons!

I have had issues with the temp switch and the GP card controlling the warm/hot starts. So for the past two years, I have been starting without the temp switch, meaning every start was a "cold" start - 14 second glow period.

For some odd reason, now that it has sat idle for awhile, the temp sensor seems to be communicating with the card. Still not a super easy start, but better than it used to be.

Funny, she runs better already! More to follow when I have more time. Pictures of the clean up as well.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Popped the roof-top tent open in the driveway so it could sit in the sun and dry out. It got a little damp during last week's rainstorms and it needs to get put in the garage for the winter. Unbolted it from the roof-rack rails and hefted it down to the tailgate, then down to the ground.

Looks like a military truck again.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Drove it up to town with a M101 in tow and hosed them down. It's actually white under all the mildew it grew from sitting!

the skull

Swapped out mirrors for nicer ones, chrome not painted. But now I can
open the wing window on driver's side. Plus pulled door panels and
lubed window regulators with silicone grease and PB Blaster, no more
Cranky Windows! And cleaned all the windows again!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally took on the challenge of rebuilding the seat bottom of my M1008. It's been sitting with nondrivers glass for months and the seat cover was worn away along with half the foam.I got a new seat bottom fabric from mvmules and order new foam. The job wasn't difficult and the end product is phenominal.
tmp_20141001_123548969980372.jpg

Nomeranger7

Recovery4x4...Your bottom seat looks GREAT! I would like some clarification as to where you got the bottom seat cover, was it a kit? My seat is in great condition, however the seat is ripped on the drivers side, and Gorilla tape looks a bit tacky.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The foam came from American Classic Truck Parts. The foam comes from the distributer in NV. Not heavy but due to size not cheap to ship. Tye seat cover is new surplus that I got from member mwmules. He has them listed on ebay but a direct PM would work too. Anyone going to the GA Rally could likely get them delivered. Total time invested from start to finish, about 2 1/2 hours.

soldierman79

I took the hardtop off at the beginning of summer and have enjoyed going topless. Fall is approaching so I began looking at new seals for the hardtop. Well, some how that turned into me looking at soft tops. Next thing I knew my credit card was in my hand and I was receiving email confirmation that I made my purchase. :)
I know the MV purist's are having a heart attack right about now, but that's ok. They always seem to be freaking out about something anyways. ;)

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20141004_082324_zpsb7399cf8.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20141004_082420_zps50bb9489.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks