• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

Put new tires on the work M1008. I put on Good Year Dura-trak E range LT23585R16. This is the 3rd set of these tires and they are the best snow plowing tires I ever used. This truck spends 70% of its life off road. Good tires are important. They last about 20,000 miles and cost about $800. per set of 4. Lat winter was bad on tires in the north east. Lots of ice.

rsh4364

Nice. What did that tank run you?

I can relate to the garage problem - working on gravel in the open is not fun.
I got the tank,sending unit, and tank straps for 204.17$ shipped to my door,tank was 80 bucks.A.Z. had a 20% sale going on plus free shipping..Im planning on a rebuilt IP soon and don't want to run garbage thru it.My current tank keeps plugging my pre-filter with rust,so its time to fix,a plus might be my fuel gauge should work properly.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I got the tank,sending unit, and tank straps for 204.17$ shipped to my door,tank was 80 bucks.A.Z. had a 20% sale going on plus free shipping..Im planning on a rebuilt IP soon and don't want to run garbage thru it.My current tank keeps plugging my pre-filter with rust,so its time to fix,a plus might be my fuel gauge should work properly.
Sweet deal! :beer:

Mine's fine for the present, but if I see rust, I will be replacing that beast! I have a few rusty tank stories behind me. Don't want any more.

Heh. Got a free riding mower due to a neighbor's rusty gas can. Plugged up the mower and he wound up giving it to me. Added an inline filter, replaced the pump, cleaned the carb, and I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now. :D

I_Publius

Started working on pulling out the blue carpet that the Sheriff's Dept had installed. Took out the bench seat and the passenger seat to do it. No major rust, which is exciting. Now I have to figure out how to remove all the old adhesive that kept the carpet down. Once it's cleaned well, I think I'm going to install Lizzard Skin or bedline it or both.

Oh...and my GP Controller went out today, so I'm on to using a manual bypass button now and it seems to work fine.

rsh4364

Changed oil and filter today,used Napa 1794 filter and Rotella T6 ,seems quieter and runs smoother,oil pressure warm at idle did drop down to 30lbs. from 50 lbs.Previously ran Rotella 15w-40.Down the road hot oil pressure same,around 60lbs.Didnt get as much done as I wanted,Military son and kids home for short time so busy catching up..Grandkids barely know me..

Last edited:

86m1028

I thought I would do a little work on one of mine today.
I reached down in the side of the frt left fender & grabbed ahold of this guy.
image.jpgimage.jpg
I guess he's protecting my wiring from field mice.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Today I finished welding the frame for the crane and drilled the mounting holes and bolted it to the truck frame. I put the crane on to see what it will have for reach. Tomorrow, I'll prime and paint the frame and bolt it on for good.

The bed should sit right over it if I made it right.:popcorn:
Lately I've finished installing all new stainless brake lines, new calipers and pads, got the cab corners done, the fuel tank installed, and I got the bed back on. The crane support works exactly like I hoped it would; I've got to drill some holes and get some bolts and it should be good to go. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

86m1028

Lately I've finished installing all new stainless brake lines, new calipers and pads, got the cab corners done, the fuel tank installed, and I got the bed back on. The crane support works exactly like I hoped it would; I've got to drill some holes and get some bolts and it should be good to go. I'll take some pics tomorrow.
Please post pics of the crane install. I'm looking forward to them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whilst at the GA Rally I swapped beds with Speddmon and ended up with the older SECM bed on my truck. I put these boxes in the side. I've done these before with Kobalt boxes. These are the older design drawers with metal slides instead of bearings. I found the bearing slide drawers difficult to keep closed if the truck was not level.

Also wanted to show the disposition of the steel topper off the M1008 bed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

Here are some more pics of the crane install.
Something I need in the 1031, I have a great MEP 026C that could live on the home made receiver hitch with cargo shelf. As an auxiliary power unit, for 107 amps of 28 volt DC power to jump start, charge and power. Plus make my 28 volt DC air conditioning system run when not moving ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks