• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Had it towed home on sunday. Loss power out on the road and it shut off. Was able to restart it and get it on to a side street then it died again. Changed the fuel filter as mines a civi 6.2 and put on a new one, and cranked away to no avail. So now it sits in my side yard.
Sounds like the same issue I had when the IP went out. The o rings just started to fall apart and the pieces were clogging it up. New IP was put in my the mechanic and good as new.

rsh4364

Received rebuilt IP today,not sure I want to tackle this on my own for first time.Changed thermostat and upper hose,switched KC Highlite lenses from offroad long range to fog lenses,much nicer.Still kept 100w bulbs and no one flashes brights at me.
Ran some errands today,kept smelling a whiff of antifreeze,got home popped hood no leaks.Turn truck off look under hood again,steam rising up from left tank on radiator,Great, new radiator in future.

rsh4364

Had it towed home on sunday. Loss power out on the road and it shut off. Was able to restart it and get it on to a side street then it died again. Changed the fuel filter as mines a civi 6.2 and put on a new one, and cranked away to no avail. So now it sits in my side yard.
Could be lift pump,mine did this once,the rubber line actually squeezed off in front of pump and starved motor of fuel.After this I put fuel pressure gauges before filter and after,makes it easy to diagnose.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Very! That sounds like a next summer project for me. :beer:
Ok here is some info and some basic measurements that should help someone install one of these cranes on a CUCV.

Materials list
1. 12' of 2x3 square tube. I went with 1/4" thick because it was only a few bucks more than 3/16". I decided to extend the supports to the other corner of the bed so if I ever wanted the crane on the other side, it's all set to go. Since it's 3" tall the bed floor rests on it.
2. Enough angle Iron for the 4 mounts to the frame. I used 3x3, cut down to 1.5x3. 1/4" thick. 1.5' worth should do it.
3. 4' of 1x1/4 flat stock, which I used to connect the 2 tubes.
4. I also used 6 pieces of 1/4" steel as spacers between the ribs of the bed and the square tubes to prevent crushing or bending the floor directly under the crane. These sit on top of the square tubes, at each bolt. All 6 bolts are drilled through ribs that stick up.

Measurements (approximate)
The 2 square tubes are 70" long. They are spaced 8" on center. Each piece of flat stock connecting them is 10" long. The rear most tube edge (not the angle iron that mounts it) sits 3.5" from the end of the truck frame. The crane base itself sits 1.75" from the bed wall, and 6.25" from the end of the bed floor at the back. Both to the respective edge of the base.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made another trip into the Oly National forest for our tree. Found a good one too. I drove the '09 this time, even brought the tires chains, but the snow melted off. 117,000 miles and still going strong.

2014Tree1.jpg2014Tree2.jpg

Keith_J

Used my 1031s tailgate vise to change the rear universal joint on my boy's 1009. Pulverized bearing on one of the cups, shot seals, all cracked and dry rotted.

it was a learning task for him, old hat to me. That vise made it easy. Then we went out for Mexican food. He bought ;)

bkwudzhom

Used the M1008 to get a load of fire wood out of a clear cut. The land owner assumed that he would get a kick out of watching some fool get stuck in the mud or hung up on some of the brush once the truck was loaded...needless to say he was disappointed.

the skull

Delivered 10 sandbags on a pallet to a co-worker today. His F250 (04?) looked like
it wanted a helper spring. He said the 1008 moved up 1-2 inches when I picked up
the pallet with the forklift. Pretty similar GVWR, the F250 dropped 4-5 inches.
I assured him his was much faster, being a V-10 and all.:whistle:

I was hoping not to have to bring those stupid sandbags back home.
Not sure, but i bet he's not getting 14mpg either.
Anyway, not with 600-700 pounds of sand back there.

cucvrus

Who needs Clydesdale's to deliver the Bud? The CUCV Mule done just fine. Don't get excited it's just wood from the mill. I cut it all summer with the chop saw and make it the size of the beer boxes. It gives a whole new meaning to recycling and repurposing. Buy the beer, Drink it, And recycle the bottles and caps. Reuse the boxes for about 3 years till they tear to pieces. People went by and yelled party time :naner:as I was backing between the houses. If only they knew they could stop by and join in the festivities. Stop and help carry the boxes in and then party on the contents. Fun fun.011.jpgAnyway greased the steering checked the fluids and locked the hubs. I will just be using the Mule for firewood duty till spring rolls around. It is easier on the old girl then using it everyday. I still have to do the head gaskets. The cooling system is always under extreme pressure. Never leaks but holds pressure for days.

rsh4364

Hrm so I should start by testing the lift pump? This truck did sit for about 4 years. Only 1k miles since 2009. I got it from the original owner.
Start cheap,fuel lines checked to make sure not pinched off,new lift pump,a fuel press. gauge helps.Maybe fuel sock in tank plugged?For fuel press.gauges I use Mr.Gasket# 1560 mounted inline from pump and#1561 screwed into spin on filter housing on exit side,this way I know if fuel pump going out or if psi drops on output side the filter is plugging up.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I am guessing injection pump. They don't like sitting around. That is the classic symptoms. Runs well then just dies slowly and won't start. Did you get fuel out to the nozzles while bleeding the system? Check that. Look under the top cover of the injection pump. Is it clean or full of small rubber particulates. The governor could have failed. Be careful with them small 10 /24 screws on top of the pump. They are 5/16 drive and made of steel. Sometimes they don't like being loosened and being that they are steel in the aluminum pump I have snapped a few of them off while trying to change the throttle shaft seals. that makes it change the pump time. I tried several time to drill and get an EZ out in. They are a contradiction in terms. There is very seldom an easy out. Good luck I wish the best I just want to be real. You could blow compressed air back thru the feed line into the tank to temporarily clean the sock. try that I am not real sure that is the problem. But you could try it. Take care good luck keep us all informed.

GreggVA

Started my 1009 today! Had been sitting idle for a full year due to health problems I had been recovering from and finally go to working on it. Was diagnosing some starter hang issues that I was working on before my back surgery. I figured why not try and see if the batteries had a charge - they did. See if the solenoid switch worked - it did. Wonder if it will turn over - IT FIRED RIGHT UP!!! Love that truck! Made me feel great on Pearl Harbor Day to have it run!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put in manual bypass glow plug switch to relay. Added light on output side of relay to let me know the GPs are getting power. Replaced blower, switch, and resistor.... only have high and medium...think one of the replacement parts might be bad...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks