• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

max1008

Same here, Flexplate will be in today from RA 35$. A friends shop will be doing the install, not to excited to see the bill for it thought.:-( My truck has been making that noise for 3 years and now its to the point where i have to crank it with a breaker bar to get past the broken teeth, its like an old airplane now!

Sounds like you need a flywheel flexplate. Sorry to say that horrible sound means teeth are missing on the flywheel flexplate.

cucvrus

Sorry to hear that. You don't need a lift or any special tools to change that flywheel / flexplate. Just put 4" long grade 8 3/8" bolts at 2,3,9,&10 oclock on your bell housing bolts. Disconnect everything and slide the whole assmbly back and reach up in there and change the flywheel / flexplate. Save the cash. You can do it on the ground in about 3 hours with basic hand tools and a floor jack. Just an idea. Do as you wish. I wanted to share that. That is what the site is about. Saves lifting and relifting that heavy transmission and tranfer case assembly. You can even let the crossmember attached. I hope that helps.

max1008

I know that I am capable of doing the job, but with it being my main transport, its cold, and I am very busy, the easiest thing for me to do is to drop it off and pick it up at the end of the day. I hate spending the money but sometimes the convenience is worth it for me.
Thanks for the tips!

cucvrus

Well if not to help you then maybe 86K5 needs some useful tips to change his flywheel / flexplate. He was reaching out for advise. Hopefully with a little luck he can get his back on the road quickly. I did not think of the cold. It is still 40 + and the sun is out here in Jonestown. I wish you luck and an inexpensive repair bill. Thank you.

Last edited:

chief1983

You need to slide it back, but not really drop it. Just support it from beneath. Shouldn't even need to remove the crossmember apparently. Read recently that it's possible with basic tools in about 3 hours.

cucvrus

[h=3]Pioneer/Flywheel - Automatic Transmission[/h]

Fits Your Vehicle

This product is a fit for your:
1984 Chevrolet Truck K30 1 ton P/U 4WD 6.2L Diesel 8cyl
Autozone $45.99
No you do not have to drop the transmission. Just check out Post 1322 in this thread. You need 4 - 3/8" X 4" long grade 8 coarse thread bolts and a floor jack and basic hand tools. About 3 hours and a pair of coveralls if it's cold and you need to do it outside. Get a sheet of plywodd to lay on and roll the floorjack.

cpf240

Well thats great news. But i will have to drop the transmission right? Also. Is there only 1 model. Or is their a certain tooth number for the cucv ?
Search here on SS for threads on this. Many just get some longer bolts for the trans-to-block, and then just slide the trans back far enough to get to the flexplate...

And it is a stock part, nothing special... GM part number is in the parts TM, and can be crossed at just about any decent auto parts house.

cucvrus

Hung the 8 Ft western plow on all 3 of them and started plowing snow at 5AM. Oh Joy. Nothing like pushing 400 lbs of steel on the road in front of you. The belts on the M1009 squealed all day very annoying. The plowing was very wet today and made the belts wet.

GreggVA

Hung the 8 Ft western plow on all 3 of them and started plowing snow at 5AM. Oh Joy. Nothing like pushing 400 lbs of steel on the road in front of you. The belts on the M1009 squealed all day very annoying. The plowing was very wet today and made the belts wet.
Would be great to see some pics of that!

cucvrus

:smile:
Would be great to see some pics of that!
A.)Plows on CUCV trucks?
B.)Pushing 400 lbs of steel on the road?
C.)Squealing belts on the M1009?
D.)All of the above?
What do you want pictures of? I am limited with the pictures at this point in time. I can post pictures of A.) But B and C have passed without any photos being taken. I am sure the next time it snows I can get the reenactment pictures. Will that work?:smile:

GreggVA

:smile:

A.)Plows on CUCV trucks?
B.)Pushing 400 lbs of steel on the road?
C.)Squealing belts on the M1009?
D.)All of the above?
What do you want pictures of? I am limited with the pictures at this point in time. I can post pictures of A.) But B and C have passed without any photos being taken. I am sure the next time it snows I can get the reenactment pictures. Will that work?:smile:
Pics of A&B and a sound recording of C would do just finerofl

joshuak

I rebuilt and installed alt 2 last Sunday . Drove to work and back everyday, I've got say driving the '09 on the country roads was the highlight of my week, close second to getting home safely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks