• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

AECS

It uses the same ground as the low beams. When I swapped relays the high beam relay didnt engage. Tomarow I will verify volage and grounds.

Last edited:

cpf240

LMC Headlight harness... Only problem is the brights don't work now... the spedo indicator lights up, the regular lights go out, but no brights... I swapped the relays, but it didn't help. Brights worked before, will chase it tomorrow, I should have verified they worked before I put it all together, I just checked the low beams...
I had that happen at random times with mine. The plug from the LMC harness that plugs into the stock headlight socket to control the relays was a real loose fit. Tightened up the connectors in the housing to make better contact, and no further problems. Other than that, do you have the two hot wires going to the battery? One is for low, the other high.

AECS

Yep both are going to the battery, for some reason the high relay is not switching on, will ID the problem tomorrow and let you all know the fix. Thanks for the tip about the connector.

AECS

Problem solved, it is pretty amazing that it will not work with the plug 180 degrees out and the terminal that controls the high beams not connected...

rsh4364

Wednesday Fed Ex kindly dropped off my B850 radiator in a badly beaten up box,discovered water inlet and outlet pointing in wrong directions.Also coolant level sensor pointing down about 60 degrees.Thursday returned to Auto Zone,they were amazed that it was delivered in this condition.And ordered me another, delivered to them this time.Friday they called,its here..Went to pick up box looks great,even says B850 on it.We open it and its Alum.with plastic tanks...Supposed to pick up another on Saturday. No radiator today,hopefully on Sunday! Gonna get cold here soon and have no garage..Well they sent another B850,its alum.again.Hopefully todays radiator is copper/brass...

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

Problem solved, it is pretty amazing that it will not work with the plug 180 degrees out and the terminal that controls the high beams not connected...
Don't feel badly about the plug being 180 degrees out. I did the same installing trailer plug on M998 airlift bumper. Got some interesting trailer light combos! It's good to share our mistakes and be able to laugh(once the problem is solved)

goldneagle

Since not everyone is following my thread on the m1008 modifications I thought it would be nice to add this mod to this thread. I installed a used HMMWV tire carrier on my M1008 truck. All parts used are Military surplus parts from trucks and engine container. No animals were injured during this modification. :3dAngus::papabear::clinto::tinkerbell::deadhorse::wreckerman893:

Here are some pictures of the project. I will be painting the parts on Sunday (now that the rain is gone away)

Attachments

MarcusOReallyus

Hmmm. You have the one pivot point (the swivel) and then the other end is held by a hitch pin? Did I see that correctly?

Not too long ago I saw an expensive aftermarket Jeep mount built like that. Fellow had brought it into a welding shop to get it fixed. Seems the pivot had sheared off after... maybe a year. Too much wiggle, and most of the load on one point. That pivot pin was about an inch and an eighth diameter, too. The bumper was being displayed by the shop as an example of how NOT to build things. If there had been a third point of attachment, higher up, the wiggle would have been eliminated, and it would have been fine.

Let us know how it holds up. I sure like the idea!

goldneagle

Hmmm. You have the one pivot point (the swivel) and then the other end is held by a hitch pin? Did I see that correctly?

Not too long ago I saw an expensive aftermarket Jeep mount built like that. Fellow had brought it into a welding shop to get it fixed. Seems the pivot had sheared off after... maybe a year. Too much wiggle, and most of the load on one point. That pivot pin was about an inch and an eighth diameter, too. The bumper was being displayed by the shop as an example of how NOT to build things. If there had been a third point of attachment, higher up, the wiggle would have been eliminated, and it would have been fine.

Let us know how it holds up. I sure like the idea!
The mount point for the tire carrier is military issue. I just mounted the assembly on to a M1008 bumper -which I reinforced and modified to fit the genuine military tire mount. I would bet that the special bolt used is hardened to withstand abuse. The smooth (unthreaded portion of the bolt) is 3/4" diameter and is capped off by a 5/8" nut at the end of the shaft.

I have seen 9/16" 12 point hex shoulder bolts (like the ones that attach the hydraulic motors to the winch on a 5 ton) rated at 150,000 PSI. I would bet this Allen head bolt is rated in that category or similar.

Also, the end of the square tube at the other end of the carrier is 1/16" above the angle I used to lock it into place. If there is any stress on the corner of the bumper I will notice it since the gap will no longer be there.

Here are pictures I found of the actual HMMWV tire mount. It was manufactured by IBIS TEK.

Attachments

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Yesterday I drove to a friend, to get my moonvisor wired, but after a few problems with his own daily driver and a portion of hail, we decided to call it a day and go home.
The new to me visco clutch works good. It seems the old one never worked.

cucvrus

Good old work horse M1028A1

Loaded the M1028A1 down with wood in preparation for a long winters nap. I let my CUCV's rest most of the time during the winter. No need to torment them or myself when its cold out. I only start them to move firewood to the wood burner. It is a good plan makes it easier on everything. I do like the sound of an old diesel 6.2 on a cold morning. But I don't miss the utilitarian discomfort part of the vehicle as a daily driver. Sorry I am spoiled at this point in my life. 001.jpgThe new truck is now my best ride Captain Obvious.

rsh4364

Loaded the M1028A1 down with wood in preparation for a long winters nap. I let my CUCV's rest most of the time during the winter. No need to torment them or myself when its cold out. I only start them to move firewood to the wood burner. It is a good plan makes it easier on everything. I do like the sound of an old diesel 6.2 on a cold morning. But I don't miss the utilitarian discomfort part of the vehicle as a daily driver. Sorry I am spoiled at this point in my life. View attachment 533347The new truck is now my best ride Captain Obvious.
Can you put same load of wood in the new truck and do a side by side test for us?

cucvrus

Can you put same load of wood in the new truck and do a side by side test for us?
I can do that. If you would like a picture of them parked side by side? Or a nose to nose picture. I have hauled (tow barred CUCV's) with the new truck. It sure does pull nicer and more comfortable. But not a fair comparison with 30 years of newer technology. Trucks have come a long way in the last 30 years. The woods logging trails is not the best place to take a new truck if you care anything about it. A1 no harm no foul. It has that many scratches on it I can't tell where the new ones start and the old ones end. Not a fair comparison at all.

cucvrus

It comes with age Rick. You will be there someday. Hey you have 100% feedback. Good deal. I hope everything is working out for you. I saw your Malibu on the Tube. I think it needs a 686 tan paint job with flat black wheels.:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks