• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

The power steering pump provides the power assist for the brakes. There could be a leak where they come together at the master cylinder.
Thank you for the explanation.
I did notice my power steering hoses are sweating quite a bit.
Going to check the levels of the steering and brakes tomorrow.
Today, the brake pedal did went from spongy, to firm as usual. Had to use the brakes a lot with the charity run today.
Also got to play with the siren, as it is illegal to use on road. Show purpose only.

glaser06

There's interest so I'll post complete steps with pictures as soon as the rain lets up and I can finish the other side of the truck. I'll post a link in this thread to the write up when complete.
Write-up of vent widow and door weatherstripping install is posted. It's a draft with the few pictures I had and all the video links plus parts and tools. If you'd like to see more, tell me what you want on that thread and I'll take pictures and add them as I complete the second side today.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ow-Weatherstrip-Install&p=1710788#post1710788

RobM36A2

Well, checked brake fluid, both cups still halfway full.
Power steering fluid is between full hot and full cold, this is with cold engine.
PS fluid looks, feels and smells like atf, so that is normal, I guess..

Mg84648

Added an M-42 chemical agent alarm to the interior. I also added the mount to the passenger floor board, but I'm having a hard time finding the M-43 detector unit and associated mount.

Attachments

llong66

MG84648, GREAT looking install! Love the way it looks mounted! May I ask what the unit to the left is? Part of an intercom unit?

Thanks,
Greg

Mg84648

MG84648, GREAT looking install! Love the way it looks mounted! May I ask what the unit to the left is? Part of an intercom unit?

Thanks,
Greg
Yup, it's supposed to be part of the intercom so I could monitor both receivers in back. Its a c-10456 used in M-1 tanks but it should be a c-2299 for use with an RT-246. I have an RT-524 in back so technically that wouldn't be accurate either.
I may just remove it but the coolness factor may be too much to to overcome ☺

Mg84648

Sweet install.
What all will the M-42 pick up ?
I believe any airborne liquid based nerve agents would be detected. Its funny though, its detector is mounted to the floor to detect any nerve agents entering the cab via the air vents. By then it's too late for the crew unless they were already in MOP-4. Both units are detachable so you could remove them from the vehicle and put the detector a few hundred meters up wind of your position. Then run como wire back to the alarm.
Either way if these systems would have been utilized in combat in eastern Europe like designed it would have been nasty.

Another Ahab

I believe any airborne liquid based nerve agents would be detected. Either way if these systems would have been utilized in combat in eastern Europe like designed it would have been nasty.
That's no joke that it would have been "nasty".

I remember our NBC training way back in the day, with the full-coverage chlorinated rubber suits.

Our readiness on paper undoubtedly looked real good to the Pentagon Brass and all the appropriate Congressional Committees. But the truth was we wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in those get-ups in any actual combat situation. It was total BOHICA and from every way we looked at it nothing but an absolute joke.

cucvrus

Used my M1009 and hauled my CUCV rescue/utility body home. It was mounted on a 1986 CUCV M1028 and was removed before the truck was parted out. The engine kept blowing head gaskets in the truck and the fire company would not spend anymore money on it. I am checking with the moderators to see if I can list it in the classifieds.001.jpgJust a quick peek.

max1008

Used my M1009 and hauled my CUCV rescue/utility body home. It was mounted on a 1986 CUCV M1028 and was removed before the truck was parted out. The engine kept blowing head gaskets in the truck and the fire company would not spend anymore money on it. I am checking with the moderators to see if I can list it in the classifieds.View attachment 558029Just a quick peek.
That thing is perfect!

Another Ahab

Used my M1009 and hauled my CUCV rescue/utility body home. It was mounted on a 1986 CUCV M1028 and was removed before the truck was parted out. The engine kept blowing head gaskets in the truck and the fire company would not spend anymore money on it. I am checking with the moderators to see if I can list it in the classifieds.View attachment 558029Just a quick peek.
That's a nice item. Is it steel or fiberglass?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks