• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

corvette9

Awhile back I posted that I had a bent ft end on my 1028. Seems the truck got hit in the rt ft at one time and did not get repaired correct. I set it up on my frame machine and found the rt ft rail down and back about an inch. Long story short the frame is fine now but the ft end still has a slight bend back. Just short of 1/2 inch. I'm fine with that for an old chevy truck.Now I can keep going on my orig. plan. Next is to cleanup up the rear of the frame and get the frame painted.

IMG_8103.jpgIMG_8096.JPGIMG_8102.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Awhile back I posted that I had a bent ft end on my 1028. Seems the truck got hit in the rt ft at one time and did not get repaired correct. I set it up on my frame machine and found the rt ft rail down and back about an inch. Long story short the frame is fine now but the ft end still has a slight bend back. Just short of 1/2 inch. I'm fine with that for an old chevy truck.Now I can keep going on my orig. plan. Next is to cleanup up the rear of the frame and get the frame painted.

View attachment 558391View attachment 558392View attachment 558393
Wow. Never heard of a frame machine before, much less seen one:

- Is it used to measure the alignment, and also to make any needed corrections?

I can't really picture how it works. Looks like nothing more than a raised platform with a big pole. Do you mind just giving a real short explanation, please?

SteveUK

At the weekend I did the Doghead Conversion (I have voted and added to the thread) on my '85 M1009.:)
Three things: what kind of bulb does the under-dash light take (a pic would really help) as it looks like an uncommon (in the UK) fitting, and - do members have any suggestions how I can safely clean the cat's cradle of wires and fittings in this area - how does so much crud get up UNDER a dashboard? And - is the bulb holder for the front side marker light a standard Chevy/GM item. Mine has become brittle and is about to disintegrate.
Thanks.

RobM36A2

Towed a GMC CCKW today. Was only for a few miles, because the transfercase of said truck died earlier this week.
Took a little effort to get going, but once rolling, keeping momentum is a piece of cake.
The braking part was a little challenge, because of all the weight and the towbar, but soldier B in the GMC did some of the braking for me.
Forgot to take pictures.

Is the bulb holder for the front side marker light a standard Chevy/GM item. Mine has become brittle and is about to disintegrate.
Thanks.
Yes SteveUK, that is a standard GM item.

SRB1976

I was able to use my winch for the first time yesterday. I got a call from a friend from work that his buddy got stuck north of town out in the middle of nowhere. So, we brought the ol' trusty CUCV and was able to winch him out with no problem. Poor guy had to walk 8 miles in the high desert to where we could meet him.

IMG_20150512_181606554.jpgIMG_20150512_181631032.jpgIMG_20150512_181642019.jpgIMG_20150512_182223042.jpgIMG_20150512_183253991.jpg

Saw this little guy slithering around:shock:
IMG_20150512_190821_530.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I was able to use my winch for the first time yesterday. I got a call from a friend from work that his buddy got stuck north of town out in the middle of nowhere. So, we brought the ol' trusty CUCV and was able to winch him out with no problem. Poor guy had to walk 8 miles in the high desert to where we could meet him.

Saw this little guy slithering around
View attachment 559447
I like the prairie rattler, or at least I think that's what she is (killer camouflage).

There are no tracks leading to the spot where he hung up. It's like he broke through a crust or something.

How did he get stuck like that!?

stuck.jpg

SRB1976

I like the prairie rattler, or at least I think that's what she is (killer camouflage).

There are no tracks leading to the spot where he hung up. It's like he broke through a crust or something.

How did he get stuck like that!?

View attachment 559449
The ground was pretty dry behind his truck. That alkali can be deceiving. It can look dry on top but still be wet underneath.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 559442View attachment 559443View attachment 559444View attachment 559445View attachment 559446

Saw this little guy slithering around:shock:
View attachment 559447

No BFL. Fail!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks