• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rsh4364

I pretty much grew up in my perfectionists Dads body shop,cant do rattle cans.Ill drive it red for a while.Someday it will be matte white,light grey matte,and dark grey matte with maybe a little black shawdowing.I really like the snow camo theme.

Last edited:

Drock

Did the HMMWV coolant crossover swap ah few months back, and it started leaking? As it turns out the new style of glycol antifreeze eats gasket sealer. I used sealer ONLY, on the flanges that mount to the head and made ah gasket for the thermostat housing also using sealer. It started leaking at the head, and oozing sticky green bubbles from around the thermostat housing. When I took it all apart the sealer had never dried and was the consistency of grease. So now I made ah set of gaskets for all 3 mounting points and used this stuff from permatex........http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...er-pump-thermostat-rtv-silicone-gasket-detail...... It's supposed to hold up to the new "mix with anything" coolant that I've bin using, so we'll see

Another Ahab

Did the HMMWV coolant crossover swap ah few months back, and it started leaking? As it turns out the new style of glycol antifreeze eats gasket sealer. I used sealer ONLY, on the flanges that mount to the head and made ah gasket for the thermostat housing also using sealer.
Talk about sabotaging an enemy, now THAT'S a good one to include in a bag-of-tricks.

cucvrus

Brian that truck looks a little happier then it did when it was dropped off with you. You do nice work. I like that you kept the OEM doors they were never that bad. It was the rest of the truck. If it would have passed PA state inspection I would still be working that truck. I just use my M1009 and the trailer now. Keep up the good work. Are you going to remove the bumpers to do the camouflage paint? Good Luck. Keep in touch and post your progress. I am busy with another project in my shop as you may have seen.

Another Ahab

Thanks.
You've done a lot to that truck.
I know some just can't be saved but I really like to see them put back on the road instead of the scarp heap.
Good job
Is a scarp heap a fancy Redneck name for the scrap pile?

No, I believe that's Welsh, and not Official Redneck.

The man must have ancestors from the British Isles, and maybe just slipped into the old tongue.

That right, CUCVLOVER?

welsh.jpg

corvette9

Brian that truck looks a little happier then it did when it was dropped off with you. You do nice work. I like that you kept the OEM doors they were never that bad. It was the rest of the truck. If it would have passed PA state inspection I would still be working that truck. I just use my M1009 and the trailer now. Keep up the good work. Are you going to remove the bumpers to do the camouflage paint? Good Luck. Keep in touch and post your progress. I am busy with another project in my shop as you may have seen.
Thanks Rick. Not sure yet if I will remove the bumpers. This weekend I'm going to remove the doors cleanup the jambs and paint the inside of the doors and jambs. I will remove door handles, locks, mirrors, wipers. Then as soon as my booth is free for a few days I will paint and camo it. Then I start the int. resto. I'm plan to keep it as stock and orig. looking as possible. Seat cover and all the other int parts and weather strips are on the way.

Brian G.

Mdiver6

I changed out all the GP's to AC 60G's with new terminals (two were swollen but I was able to pry them out intact), and installed new GP relay. The truck hadn't started in several months but with the new parts it started absolutely immediately. Excellent morning!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks