• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rsh4364

Bought a younger brother for my 85 1009.An 86 1009 with 39k miles,its also ex-fire dept. red with reflective white stripe. Whats funny is I don't like red cars but all my cars are red.
Im going crazy waiting for the 86 1009 to get delivered,so much nicer than my 85.Someone at the fire dept. liked this truck.They put a chrome bumper with original brush bar,chrome mirrors,chrome wheels,all windows in back tinted,Not a fan of chrome on a 1009 but its a really nice looking 1009.And its still 24v/12v. Two silver dollar size rust holes and maybe a foot of rust in normal spot lower tailgate.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just completed (almost) a Behr camo paint job on my M1031. The most of the green went on with a Wagner sprayer, and the brown and black and some green went on with a 1 1/2" brush. I got the truck a couple of months ago and started attacking the surface rust on the cab with sanding and Rustoleum primer. Here are the before photos.

before paint 03.jpg before paint 01.jpg before paint 02.jpg That brown on the hood is rust, not paint.

Mostly finished product:

new behr 01.jpg new behr 02.jpg new behr 03.jpg new behr 04.jpg new behr 06.jpg new behr 05.jpg

Still need to paint and reinstall the grill and the water can holders on the rear. The photos of the top and hood have a little glare from the setting sun and the paint is much darker in person.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vehicle maintenance, or I guess any off-site maintenance. Has a 12KW PTO gen and 5HP air compressor to run tools and equipment.

Another Ahab

Vehicle maintenance, or I guess any off-site maintenance. Has a 12KW PTO gen and 5HP air compressor to run tools and equipment.
That's a nice set-up.

Any chance you can take a pic of those two elements to show us where they are in the rig, and how they got them placed in there?

I know it might be a PIA, but sometimes we're just dying to check stuff out, you know!?

corvette9

Well I painted it yesterday. I don't have a tail gate yet and I'm waiting on a GM fuel door. Still need to do alot details but aleast it has color on it. Makes me think theres light at the end of the tunnel. Before anyone asks, that is my M936A2 wrecker in the background.

Brian G.

IMG_8534.JPGIMG_8535.JPGIMG_8536.jpgIMG_8537.jpgIMG_8538.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Well I painted it yesterday. I don't have a tail gate yet and I'm waiting on a GM fuel door. Still need to do alot details but aleast it has color on it. Makes me think theres light at the end of the tunnel. Before anyone asks, that is my M936A2 wrecker in the background.

Brian G.

View attachment 561438
Something tells me that you know a little something about painting, and bodywork.

That's a great looking paint job.

rsh4364

Im going crazy waiting for the 86 1009 to get delivered,so much nicer than my 85.Someone at the fire dept. liked this truck.They put a chrome bumper with original brush bar,chrome mirrors,chrome wheels,all windows in back tinted,Not a fan of chrome on a 1009 but its a really nice looking 1009.And its still 24v/12v. Two silver dollar size rust holes and maybe a foot of rust in normal spot lower tailgate.
New to me 1009 will be here tues. night or wed. morning.It is my second one,so first order of business is doghead starter relay mod,then headlight harness upgrade and some Hella replacement headlights,then the de-chroming process starts.And I can really dig into my first 1009,she wants new fuel tank,lift pumps,filters, lines,injector pump,injectors,brake lines,starter,radiator,and then it should be good for another 100k! And both will have block heaters before next fall now that Ohio winters are getting well below 0.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New to me 1009 will be here tues. night or wed. morning.It is my second one,so first order of business is doghead starter relay mod,then headlight harness upgrade and some Hella replacement headlights,then the de-chroming process starts.And I can really dig into my first 1009,she wants new fuel tank,lift pumps,filters, lines,injector pump,injectors,brake lines,starter,radiator,and then it should be good for another 100k! And both will have block heaters before next fall now that Ohio winters are getting well below 0.

I believe 85.5+ used a different relay, so the doghead mod is not required.

rsh4364

Newer 1009 will be here in am Thursday,shipper was running a little behind schedule,cant wait to drive it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks