• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Lately I've dyed the dash pad in the pickup, changed out the seat bottom cover for a new one, and I installed new shocks and changed the fuel filter. I also made up a set of mirrors that can be adjusted out for towing, since I occasionally tow wide trailers.

Attachments

RobM36A2

I just drove my M1028.
Did some towing and pushing to relocate a dodge knockdown in a yard.
Also noticed my rear tires have some cracks, guess it's because of age.

Meanwhil, when driving, i had to avoid a parked truck.
There was also some vibration in the truck, but don't know where it cames from.
Passed the truck, then put my foot on the throttle again, heard and felt a loud "CLUNK" from the rear.
Stopped to investigate, but nothing to see. The rest of the drive home, no more weird noises and the vibration was a bit less..
The rear diff has the proper gear oil and additive replaced 1 year ago. Same with the transmission and transfercase.

max1008

ROB- Mine does the same thing. Its a noise that makes you worry, but I have not been able to find it. I think it might be the detroit unlocking (if thats possible). Mine happens when I am coasting to a stop, and sometime when i go to accelerate out of a stop. I will ignore until something is broken:shrugs:

True Knight

It's just the Detroit locking and unlocking. Sometimes it's just a little harsh. Mine would do it if it was coasting through a turn and then hit the throttle as it was coming out of the turn. It never hurt anything, but now I try to straighten the truck out before I really get on the throttle. If it was the u-joints it would be clunking each time you got on or off the throttle.

Last edited:

RobM36A2

It's just the Detroit locking and unlocking. Sometimes it's just a little harsh. Mine would do it if it was coasting through a turn and then hit the throttle as it was coming out of the turn.
A little harsh? The truck driver heard the noise when i was about 50 metres out.. it felt so wrong..
and it was a little throttle just after passing. later on a few roundabouts no such thing. with or without throttle.
Anyways, thank you for the heads up :beer:

Getting ready to go to the last War & Peace Revival in the UK in about 1,5 week.
Still need to find out the vibration issue.

86M1009AJH

Just finished rotating the tires. In a few days I'm taking the truck down to my friends shop for an alignment. He has all the nice tools. After that is done I'm going to change the oil and check the fluids in the axles.

True Knight

A little harsh? The truck driver heard the noise when i was about 50 metres out.. it felt so wrong..
and it was a little throttle just after passing. later on a few roundabouts no such thing. with or without throttle.
Anyways, thank you for the heads up :beer:

Getting ready to go to the last War & Peace Revival in the UK in about 1,5 week.
Still need to find out the vibration issue.
Ha ha, just a little harsh. It's definitely enough to scare you when you experience it!

rsh4364

Been having some health issues so just got tach wired in dash today.950rpm cold idle,650 warm idle,1400 rpms at 30 mph,2000 rpms at 40 mph,2500-2600 55mph,2800 rpms at 60 mph.In 4-lo went 15 mph at 2400 rpms.all on 33" tires,seems as tho someone put some 456 gears in it.This is in my new to me only vehicle daily driver 86 1009.Speed was checked with GPS. My 85 1009 with 308s,33"tires would be running nearly 65 mph at 2000 rpms.I will not be able to drive this 86 1009 85 miles a day on hi-ways.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Well I finally got the new fuel pump on. So now the truck has a new tank pickup, lift pump, fuel filter, and gear reduction starter. So the green machine is back in action.

A little tip for anyone doing a lift pump change, take the the line that comes from the tank off at the tank and Hook up a line with a primer bubble and pump the bubble until you have fuel at the filter then crank the truck, after you let it run for a few minutes to make sure all is good, put the old line back on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks