• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cucvlover I have started reading your threads and others and have found a lot of good info and the TM's are next. Thanks and keep posting.

RobM36A2

Well, Did 2 days of working on the M1028:

First an oil + filter change and overall checking for coming inspection.
All mounts are good, but we did notice the bed is warped a bit.

Then I went for inspection, did not pass. Got a list with points:
I replaced: 2 steering joints, 1 steering joint rubber, a rear wheel oil seal and cleaned all oil and grease from the drum, 2 front wheel bearings and oil seal.
Also switched my orange marking/indicating lights for white ones, as this is not allowed for inspection.
All forward facing lights must emit white light, exept indicators, they can be white or orange.

After all the repairs, went back. Still some difference in brake force on the rear wheels, but the M1028 passed.

Still to do: Relay mod on the headlights.

RobM36A2

Just convert the head lamps to LED. You will be happy with the results. And when you say orange are you meaning Amber / yellow lamps?
Yes, amber/yellow markers are not allowed for inspection. So white bulbs go in for inspection. I put the amber ones in again this weekend.
I did hear of LED head lamps, but it worries me it will not pass inspections. Here in Europe there are some stricter car rules and regulations.
Can you show me an example of LED lights on a CUCV?

RobM36A2

There are ECE compliant LED headlamps (Truck-Lite and J.W.Speaker). These are a drop-in H6054 type fixture.

I just read through the APK requirements and I don't find anything that would disallow the LED headlamps as long as they are mounted and aimed properly.
Those are some interesting sets of lights. [thumbzup]
The speaker ones confuse me, because of 3 bulbs and 2 other?

I own a set of aftermarket lights, with LED markers, they did not meet inspection requirements, as the lighting image (Lichtbeeld in Dutch) from the H4 part was not good. Still trying to sell them locally.
Lampjes.jpg

tim292stro

The J.W. Speakers are a precision optics projection type. The top row of the light is road-edge, then dipped beam, then road edge. The bottom row is high beam pattern then the little dot between the two high-beams is the city light, then the other high beam pattern.
Product-Photo-Model-8900-2-1200x1200.jpg
Since it's all in one assembly both US-DOT and ECE count it as a combination fixture.

As for the output beam compliance, neither Truck-lite nor J.W. Speaker mess around with skirting design requirements. The beam outputs are very tight.
led-beam.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It1gNeBVnQI

rsh4364

Today started rosscommon 12v conversion on my older 85 1009,installed new GR starter,redid all batt.cables to 1awg,added some additional 1awg grounds and cleaned everything electrical on the way.My 86 1009 will stay 24v but the 85 was cut up to bad,went thru 4 starters in 3 years.If it doesn't work out can always go back to 24v.The 85 had everything go bad that could go bad on a 1009,so it was a great teacher of what to do and what not to do.The old 85 is also getting a a new 31 gal.fuel tank,lift pump,inj.pump,fuel lines,crank dampner,radiator and more.

Last edited:

shepherm

I solved the death wobble problem in my M1008!! I replaced the kingpin bushings and springs today, what a difference it makes! The old springs were about 1/4" to 3/8" shorter than the new and the bushing on the driver side was broken into two pieces. Well worth the $45 to fix. I also ordered a new steering stabilizer, I'll be installing tomorrow just to help things up front.

cucvrus

014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpgThese are Truck lite LED head lamps that I installed in my Mule this summer. I think they are great. It is a whole new night driving experience. The light is so white. It reflects well and is easy on the eyes of on coming traffic. Much better then that HID head lamps I removed. They were obnoxious to the oncoming traffic. And people were always giving me high beams. The LED's never had a high beam flashed at me and I can see much better.

Attachments

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Germany, all parts of the lighting must have an "e" number, this number means that the parts are approved for road traffic. Without this number, no legal driving. Another Problem, i want to achieve with my truck the historical registration, which means that the truck must be original or only contemporary accessories are allowed. LED lighting is not contemporary.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks