• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Lately I've got the hydraulic pump on the plow truck hooked up, as well as the joystick, control cables, and hydraulic hoses. I mounted the plow pump off the 2nd alternator bracket, it shares the belt with the alternator which used the original lower mount but is swung out further from the motor at the top. A longer belt from a HMMWV seems to be working good in that spot, Gen 2 is still charging at least and the plow goes up and down.

Today I did a little bit of welding on the push plates and started modifying a brush guard to fit with the headgear on. Hopefully I'll have it done by the time the new hydraulic hoses show up.

Attachments

SgtHaas

Well today I changed the rear U-Joint... That was fun. Luckily when it went it's didn't completely go. I was about 4 miles from home. I put it in 4WD and made to my garage. I bought a heavy duty U-Joint and took about an hour. So much better now. Looks like I will be replacing the E-break cables next when I was under it they looked rough... Till next time.
~Sgt. Haas USMC ~uploadfromtaptalk1447392888356.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447392924773.jpg

thz71

Finally got both hangers off. Used a cut off wheel to cut slots in each rivet, chiseled off the big pieces and then used a grind wheel to cut the rivets way down. Then hammered brackets off. Used a punch and hammer to remove rivets and then used various screw drivers, wire, coat hangers to get the nuts inside the frame to get them lined up for bolting the shackle flip on.
Got any pics of the finished product? I'm assuming you used a zero rate.

Ilikemtb999

Got any pics of the finished product? I'm assuming you used a zero rate.
This is what I've got so far. I've got some longer shackles that were going on my Silverado to lower it but they're about the length I think I need to bring the rear up to match the front so going to play with those before ordering diy4x shackles.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man with the corrosion on those springs I would have thought you were up in the Northeast! We got too much heat down South but not much salt!

Ilikemtb999

Most of that is old carc paint, dirt and metal dust from cutting so many things in that area. They sure laid it on thick underneath to where it was dripping. The truck also lived in Illinois for a few years.

Ilikemtb999

I did not use a zero rate. The spring pads and u bolt plates have 3 positions built into them.

I used a zero lift shackle flip from TNA and will make up the 2" difference from removing the blocks with a longer shackle so not as severe of a change as the ORD flip kit. Plus the TNA flip is adjustable.

RobM36A2

Well, had a 4x4 night run last weekend and had a lot of fun.
The next day I noticed one of the front leafsprings has changed position, it is now an inch or 2 to the right, only half on the rest of the leafs.
Drivers side, seen from front of vehicle, de biggest leaf is off position, at least half the width to the right. Only at the frontside, the rearside is still good.
Is this bad? I assume it is easy to fix with a BFH?

Another Ahab

The next day I noticed one of the front leafsprings has changed position, it is now an inch or 2 to the right, only half on the rest of the leafs.
Drivers side, seen from front of vehicle, de biggest leaf is off position, at least half the width to the right. Only at the frontside, the rearside is still good.
They're good for fixing almost anything; excepting maybe fancy expensive watches.

gottaluvit

The hammer trick might work but it will come back to haunt you again. I assume these 60s have center pins like the 44s do. They're cheap but the u-bolts are where they get you. One really shouldn't reuse u-bolts.

thz71

Like said before must have sheared a center pin. Replace asap

RobM36A2

Center pin? between the axle mounts you mean? Only at the front shackle, or how you call it, the biggest or bottom leaf spring is out of alignment.
The one that is curled around the smaller ones.
My English is not so good, since I am from The Netherlands.
I will try to make a picture tomorrow, as it is now dark outside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks