• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

CUCVLOVER

Might I suggest a hammer also? If you go into water, frequently the truck will flip and put you on the bottom inverted. It takes a while for the truck to fill and allow you to open the doors. Note that you're head down, so you go under before the truck fills. If you have a hammer you can break glass and fill the truck and open the door before you drown....
I have a brick in the pass floor. I think I have a automatic center punch in there too. Those are mean to auto glass.

I posted the 3k post. This great I should get a award or some cake

AECS

Thanks for bringing this thread back. I was bummed that I couldn't post that I ordered a new brake proportioning valve for the 1009. Got tired of adding a pint for dot 5 a week...

KansasBobcat

Replaced glass run and window seals on passenger side M1009. Second time but still took longer than I thought it would. Spraying lots of silicone on glass run does help with installation. Also found large mud dobber nest in door!

Another Ahab

Replaced glass run and window seals on passenger side M1009. Second time but still took longer than I thought it would. Spraying lots of silicone on glass run does help with installation. Also found large mud dobber nest in door!
Ran into somebody once from North Carolina who called them "Dirt Daubers", and swore that they couldn't sting you.

I think they ate some bad barbecue or something.

gottaluvit

Ran into somebody once from North Carolina who called them "Dirt Daubers", and swore that they couldn't sting you.

I think they ate some bad barbecue or something.
I don't know about "couldn't" sting, but I have yet to hear of anyone getting stung by them. I think they just dont "want" to sting anyone, maybe they have the blues.

My exhaust fell apart today. Making an appointment at exhaust shop tomorrow. I do most of my work, but rust in the eye did me in on exhaust work.

gottaluvit

Keith_J

I installed coil overload springs on the 1031 a few weeks ago. They worked but bearing on the flanges of the bump stop bracket was less than ideal. Yesterday, we cut some 3" channel iron to fit, then cut square holes for the bump stop. These press fit into the bump stop bracket and provide a great upper perch for the compression coil spring.

The springs are designed for an RV, intended to go between the axle and frame. AutoZone $50 special.

True Knight

The top 2 plastic mounting straps for my external transmission cooler broke, allowing it to hang and move around. This caused the bottom 2 straps to wear a hole into the radiator causing a small leak. So I got the radiator repaired and decided it was finally time to replace all the hoses and thermostat. I built a mount for the trans cooler so this problem would not occur again.

Lesson learned- don't trust these plastic mounting straps, at least not if you do a lot of off road driving. Or bumpy driving at all, which is pretty much every road in a 1 ton truck. Ha ha.

Attachments

Drock

Installed 2 WOLO air horns (because Atlanta traffic):driver:. A "bad boy", and a "Big bad boy" essentially a high & low pitch. I thought they'd be gimmicky, but they work REALLY WELL! The low buy itself is only slightly louder then the stock horn ,but in tandem with the high it's very impressive. Maybe now they can hear me over they're cell phone, Bluetooth, stereo, and crinkly bag of potato chips.:popcorn:

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Installed 2 WOLO air horns (because Atlanta traffic):driver:. A "bad boy", and a "Big bad boy" essentially a high & low pitch. I thought they'd be gimmicky, but they work REALLY WELL! The low buy itself is only slightly loader the stock horn ,but in tandem with the high it's very impressive. Maybe now they can hear me over they're cell phone, Bluetooth, stereo, and crinkly bag of potato chips.:popcorn:
Is there anyway we could get a sound clip of them?
Thanks

tonkasal

Installed 2 WOLO air horns (because Atlanta traffic):driver:. A "bad boy", and a "Big bad boy" essentially a high & low pitch. I thought they'd be gimmicky, but they work REALLY WELL! The low buy itself is only slightly louder then the stock horn ,but in tandem with the high it's very impressive. Maybe now they can hear me over they're cell phone, Bluetooth, stereo, and crinkly bag of potato chips.:popcorn:
I'm in ATL also and was thinking about replacing the stock horn.

TexAndy

Installed a step-down voltage regulator off of the 24V bus bar in the back seat, chinese blue-tooth reciever/amp off of that, and a couple of decent radio shack bookshelf speakers on top of the rear wheel wells.

I think the blue-tooth thing was like 12 dollars and the voltage regulator was another 10 or 12 bucks. Speakers were giveaways.

Anyways, you can actually listen to music over engine and road noise, now.

Drock

I'm in ATL also and was thinking about replacing the stock horn.
Over the year and a half I've owned and driven my M1028, hauling a trailer through city & country traffic I've noticed a few things about other drivers. For some reason they can't see a camouflaged truck:confused:. and tend to swerve into my lane, pull out in front of me, or just drive head on at me! And for some reason country drivers constantly forget to turn on there headlights??? I stuck one of those magnetic amber service lights on top until I can find a light bar I like. And did this horn thing in hopes of waking up any distracted or just slack-jawed drivers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks