• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

motorstormer

Hauled some old fence posts today.
hauling3.jpg
hauling.jpg
Ran across a scale near my house and it read 8720 lbs truck was barely squated, some may say cruel and unusual punishment for not winning MV of the month, I say a good workout (for me and the truck).

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My new dash pad is still in the box in the garage. Can't decide if I should install it as-is, which is black, or paint it to match the mil interior.

PeeWeeQ

Lately...

New to me 14 bolt rear end and 10 bolt front from a 1990, 3/4 ton Suburban with 3:73s...

Shortly thereafter, I found a bad fuel leak up front that was coming from the fuel pump area, SO, I decided to do a spin-on fuel filter mod and am in the process of putting in a 12D Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump. I got the switched lead from the pink/black wire that ran to the base of the old filter and took 12V from the 12V block, running through a four-terminal relay and inline fuse I got from Advance Auto Parts. Tomorrow I'll finish running the inlet side of the 3/8" hose to the pump and fire it up...Eventually, I'm going to put a hot switch in so I can run it at will, AND a low oil pressure cutoff switch...

I'm still chasing a gen 2 gremlin, but, I've got the dash torn up too (cleaned all contacts on the PCB and bulb sockets and replaced most of the bulbs), so, hopefully after the fuel pump is done, I'll be able to check the gen 2 relay and diode and see how it goes...Speaking of electrical, due to a wiring snafu, I smoked a few fusible links, so, I replaced all of them, with the exception of the glow plug links AND added battery cutoff switches...

WHEW! In the future, I'll be doing a fiberglass mod for the cracked-up dash and MAYBE putting a B&M Unimatic Floor shifter conversion (I just like shifters on the floor)...
20160228_081424[1].jpg20160402_183949[1].jpg20160402_183925[1].jpg20160326_185759[1].jpg

CUCVLOVER

Lately...

New to me 14 bolt rear end and 10 bolt front from a 1990, 3/4 ton Suburban with 3:73s...

Shortly thereafter, I found a bad fuel leak up front that was coming from the fuel pump area, SO, I decided to do a spin-on fuel filter mod and am in the process of putting in a 12D Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump. I got the switched lead from the pink/black wire that ran to the base of the old filter and took 12V from the 12V block, running through a four-terminal relay and inline fuse I got from Advance Auto Parts. Tomorrow I'll finish running the inlet side of the 3/8" hose to the pump and fire it up...Eventually, I'm going to put a hot switch in so I can run it at will, AND a low oil pressure cutoff switch...

I'm still chasing a gen 2 gremlin, but, I've got the dash torn up too (cleaned all contacts on the PCB and bulb sockets and replaced most of the bulbs), so, hopefully after the fuel pump is done, I'll be able to check the gen 2 relay and diode and see how it goes...Speaking of electrical, due to a wiring snafu, I smoked a few fusible links, so, I replaced all of them, with the exception of the glow plug links AND added battery cutoff switches...

WHEW! In the future, I'll be doing a fiberglass mod for the cracked-up dash and MAYBE putting a B&M Unimatic Floor shifter conversion (I just like shifters on the floor)...
View attachment 615866View attachment 615865View attachment 615867View attachment 615869
That's the same filter base I used to do mine. Did you get the filter with built in water separator? The only thing I didn't do was fuel pressure gauge.
She should roll on nicely with the 3:73s and still have enough to tow.
Ugh wiring issues are the worst. I can wire just about anything 12, 24, 36, or even 48 volt from start to finish but a hack job from a Po just makes me pull out my hair, that's why I have it cut a 1/4inch long lol.

PeeWeeQ

The battery cutoff looks like it has a double switch. But maybe I'm seeing that wrong.

What's that about?
I wanted to be able to completely isolate both batteries. It might be overkill or misunderstanding on my part, but, I KNOW they are both cut off from each other that way...

While I'm having this Gen 2 issue, I can cut them both off and charge one or both without worry that I'm going to have any problems with either one.

Peace of mind...

I don't know if that's dumb or not, but, it works for me...

Last edited:

PeeWeeQ

That's the same filter base I used to do mine. Did you get the filter with built in water separator? The only thing I didn't do was fuel pressure gauge.
She should roll on nicely with the 3:73s and still have enough to tow.
Ugh wiring issues are the worst. I can wire just about anything 12, 24, 36, or even 48 volt from start to finish but a hack job from a Po just makes me pull out my hair, that's why I have it cut a 1/4inch long lol.
I did get one with the water seperator (Fram PS3712 with NAPA 4770 filter base)...

And, I agree--the electrical issues suck!!! aua

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Hauled some old fence posts today.

Ran across a scale near my house and it read 8720 lbs truck was barely squated, some may say cruel and unusual punishment for not winning MV of the month, I say a good workout (for me and the truck).

Heh. I've had ~4000 on my M101 trailer. I guess that means I could haul about 6 tons on the truck and trailer combined.

I'm not sure what Officer Friendly would say about that.... .... or what my brakes would say....

:mrgreen:

gottaluvit

Broke my speedometer cable. Looks like it was a brand new one the PO installed but thought it was okay to let it lay on the exhaust. Looks like as soon as the rain lets up I will be robbing one of my civy units I have up for sale. "Oh yeah, that speedometer don't work on that unit".

3jumpjeep

You are going to eliminate the radiator part of the trans. cooler? I was told that if you add an additional cooler you still run the fluid thru the radiator after it exits the add on cooler to keep the fluid from being too cold. This is the way I did my 83 C-20. I am wanting to add a cooler to my M1009 with a inline spin on filter and add a drain plug to the transmission pan.
I run a big trans cooler with the stock cooler. The auxiliary cooler sits behind the radiator. Always did this with snow plowing trucks.

gottaluvit

Broke my speedometer cable. Looks like it was a brand new one the PO installed but thought it was okay to let it lay on the exhaust. Looks like as soon as the rain lets up I will be robbing one of my civy units I have up for sale. "Oh yeah, that speedometer don't work on that unit".
Speedometer cable replaced yesterday. The one on there that was on the exhaust must have been too long as it was supported by both hangers underneath and the bracket on the firewall. The one I put in off a civy 86 truck can't reach the exhaust. I think some aftermarket units are off spec. Fixed my M1102 master cylinder that was siezed and returned the tongue jack to Rural King that was absolute junk. Since they had no others with that connection type, I guess it's time to pay Tractor Supply a visit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks